Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really? This was the only picture you could find, Topps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
$(KGrHqMOKiEE6W!tEp8,BOn7YR8vIg~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqN,!h8E6GPgEe!sBOnjI7l2(Q~~60_3.JPG

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Makes me wonder why Panini had to airbrush the red stripe on his pants. As far as I know, there's no logo there.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Jaypers said:
Makes me wonder why Panini had to airbrush the red stripe on his pants. As far as I know, there's no logo there.

The copyright extends beyond the logos and into color schemes and things like stripes. I think blah blahblah learned me that.

It seems to me like Topps was saying "neener neener look what we can do! use logos!" but I do know that in the real world they probably had no idea that the picture had already been used on a competitor's baseball card.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Jaypers said:
Air rush on pants and top take away on spy's of a Phillies uni

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:
Jaypers said:

The copyright extends beyond the logos and into color schemes and things like stripes. I think blah blahblah learned me that.

It seems to me like Topps was saying "neener neener look what we can do! use logos!" but I do know that in the real world they probably had no idea that the picture had already been used on a competitor's baseball card.

I personally do not believe that an airbrused (no team logo) jersey (leaving colors and stripes on) is an issue...
No team/league has ever had a successful verdict in any court in this country on that matter.
BG

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Leaf said:
RL24 said:
Jaypers said:

I personally do not believe that an airbrused (no team logo) jersey (leaving colors and stripes on) is an issue...
No team/league has ever had a successful verdict in any court in this country on that matter.
BG

That could be true, but their license copyright thingy covers "names, nicknames, logos, uniform designs, color combinations, and slogans designating the Major League Baseball clubs and entities, and their respective mascots, events and exhibitions."

I know this from hanging out on these boards. I'm just saying that maybe somebody at Panini decided it would be in their best interst to take the stripe out for those reasons, because they were also aware of the rule, and it's probably a sensative issue around there after the 2008 Playoff vs MLB thing... Maybe they took it out because it would detract from the auto, but that seems like too much thinking about making a card the customer wants. I'm leaning towards they were covering their arses.

But who knows?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
tonsofcommons said:
Look at the difference in autos!
$(KGrHqN,!h8E6GPgEe!sBOn2j40))w~~60_12.JPG

That's the auto he signed with Topps on their contract, around the same time he signed with Panini... which is why it mimics his Elite auto. Obviously, he changed his auto a little.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:
Leaf said:
RL24 said:
Jaypers said:

BG

That could be true, but their license copyright thingy covers "names, nicknames, logos, uniform designs, color combinations, and slogans designating the Major League Baseball clubs and entities, and their respective mascots, events and exhibitions."

I know this from hanging out on these boards. I'm just saying that maybe somebody at Panini decided it would be in their best interst to take the stripe out for those reasons, because they were also aware of the rule, and it's probably a sensative issue around there after the 2008 Playoff vs MLB thing... Maybe they took it out because it would detract from the auto, but that seems like too much thinking about making a card the customer wants. I'm leaning towards they were covering their arses.

But who knows?

I think I do.

The ONLY legal case that went to judgment by a court regarding airbrushed logos was: NBA PROPERTIES V. DAHLONEGA MINT (u.s. district court Georgia)

They found use of jerseys without logos does NOT infringe.

Until another decision contradicts this, it is the ONLY precedent on which one can form an educated opnion.
BG

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Leaf said:
RL24 said:
Leaf said:
RL24 said:
Jaypers said:

BG

But who knows?

I think I do.

The ONLY legal case that went to judgment by a court regarding airbrushed logos was: NBA PROPERTIES V. DAHLONEGA MINT (u.s. district court Georgia)

They found use of jerseys without logos does NOT infringe.

Until another decision contradicts this, it is the ONLY precedent on which one can form an educated opnion.
BG

I don't know why they airbrushed the pants. It's really not a big deal. Also, we don't know the facts of that case -- what jersey did they use and how much of the logo was not utilized? Every case is different, Brian... and a court could rule that the striping on the pants was part of the Phillies minor league logo.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
And, before I get a week's vacation for mentioning a $2 Hulk Hogan bid, please allow this thread to be evidence that I criticize whomever in the hobby I feel like criticizing, rather than go after one specific entity.

I was just emailing JP yesterday how I think in a year or two, some of the Metal cards are going to be skyrocketing.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Bob Loblaw said:
And, before I get a week's vacation for mentioning a $2 Hulk Hogan bid, please allow this thread to be evidence that I criticize whomever in the hobby I feel like criticizing, rather than go after one specific entity.

As do I, but people still think I'm a troll

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Was that even a Phillies Jersey to start with?

The name across the chest (stomach) seems a bit too low.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
vwnut13 said:
Was that even a Phillies Jersey to start with?

The name across the chest (stomach) seems a bit too low.

Instructional league jersey. I've seen close to 100 of this version of them, and own one (Domingo Santana's)...

Members online

Latest posts