Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

CJ Wilson, his imapct, and Free Agency

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
He certainly isn't making a case for a huge contract in the upcoming season.

He is 0-3 (four starts) in the Playoffs this season with a 7.17 ERA in 21.1 innings.
He lost Game 1 of the World Series.
He lost the All Star Game.

So, not only did he put his team in a 0-1 hole to start the World Series, but he is the reason that they don't have Home Field Advantage.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I dont think his post season will be a huge ding on him.

He's been solid the last few seasons and this bad post season shoudnt overshadow it

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
Definitely blowing his shot at the 20 mil/per contract baseball people were talking about just a couple months ago. Still think he get 14-15 mil/per from someone.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
vwnut13 said:
He certainly isn't making a case for a huge contract in the upcoming season.

He is 0-3 (four starts) in the Playoffs this season with a 7.17 ERA in 21.1 innings.
He lost Game 1 of the World Series.
He lost the All Star Game.

So, not only did he put his team in a 0-1 hole to start the World Series, but he is the reason that they don't have Home Field Advantage.

The All Star game simply doesn't matter. He pitched in "relief" which he never does, so I wouldn't worry about that one bit.

Now, I am just not that impressed with him-but I have only seen him in the playoffs. If I am not mistaken, didn't he have a sub 3 ERA in the regular season? Not too bad, that is for sure. However, facing the Mariners/A's/Angels does have its benefits, that is for sure.

The thing that will get him a lot of money this season is the fact that he is the top FA pitcher out there(assuming CC re-ups with the Yankees). He's going to get 14 million or more in my opinion, just because of that. I would have to assume at this point he is going to the Yanks-but that is just a guess.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
He should benefit from limited top end pitchers available. Of course Sabathia will headline the class if he opts out, but he's at another level in terms of financial commitment. Wilson should have plenty of teams in the position to offer him a big time contract, and I'd expect all of the usual big $ players to at the very least stay interested throughout the process. Boston, NY, Chicago, etc. could all use pitching help and all have the $ available to do so which should help him, completely the opposite from a guy like Fielder

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
hail2thevictors said:
The All Star game simply doesn't matter. He pitched in "relief" which he never does, so I wouldn't worry about that one bit.
You mean except for the 2006-9 seasons in which he was exclusively a reliever, and not even a particularly good one?

Wilson will get his money, at least $15MM/yr, probably 4 or 5 years. He's at best a #2.
I say he's a pass (for the Yankees in particular):
• entering age 31 season and will want 5+ years
• two seasons as a starter pitching in a weak hitting division
• HUGE innings jump from 73.2 to 204 to 223.1 the last three years
• weak postseason numbers spanning 7 starts with his only good numbers against the terrible hitting 2010 Giants and 2010 Rays

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
D-Lite said:
hail2thevictors said:
You mean except for the 2006-9 seasons in which he was exclusively a reliever, and not even a particularly good one?

Wilson will get his money, at least $15MM/yr, probably 4 or 5 years. He's at best a #2.
• weak postseason numbers spanning 7 starts with his only good numbers against the terrible hitting 2010 Giants and 2010 Rays

He does have pitching in the best hitters park going for him.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
D-Lite said:
HPC said:
[quote="D-Lite":3oc3r1ik]
ThoseBackPages said:
if he gets 15 per, how does CC not get 25?
If Lackey and Burnett are both getting $16+, how does Wilson not get $17MM?

both of those were extremely overblown contracts.
And your point is....? You don't think a guy like Wilson is going to get the exact same thing?[/quote:3oc3r1ik]

my point is that just because two guys got grossly overpaid, doesnt mean cj will or should.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
HPC said:
D-Lite said:
HPC said:
[quote="D-Lite":3iudmz9d]
ThoseBackPages said:
if he gets 15 per, how does CC not get 25?
If Lackey and Burnett are both getting $16+, how does Wilson not get $17MM?

both of those were extremely overblown contracts.
And your point is....? You don't think a guy like Wilson is going to get the exact same thing?

my point is that just because two guys got grossly overpaid, doesnt mean cj will or should.[/quote:3iudmz9d]
On the "should", we agree. But he WILL get grossly overpaid. How does he not? He's the number one non-CC pitcher available and it's not really close.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I think he'd be a great pickup at around 10m per year.

I think a team is overpaying for much more.

But youre right, he'll get in the 14-17 range

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
So he bombs in high pressure games and stinks in the post season....sounds like he would fit in perfectly w the other high priced yanks .

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
D-Lite said:
hail2thevictors said:

Obviously he pitched in relief until 2010. We are talking about a starting pitcher here, though. So that is what I meant.

He pitched in relief in 2011 All Star game, which he never did in 2011.

Is that better?

Members online

Latest posts