Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Meeting the player you collect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
My hometown team, the Hermosillo Orange-growers of the Mexican Pacific (winter) League have announced they are in talks to bring Jorge Cantu for the 2nd half of the season. He's part of the broadcasting crew for Televisa (Mexican channel) during the WS and said that he'll be reporting to Hermosillo November 24.

I really wish it gets done, I'm really excited. My semester ends the first days of December :D

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Would love to meet Mr. Doerr, unfortunately I don't think he does public signings anymore....I have met Fred Lynn though :)

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Id love to meet Dice-K but thatd probably cost 300$ with an auto. and I wouldnt get to say a word to him. Just like what happened with A-Rod.

6b0aab7b.jpg

I gotta take picture of all my signed baseballs! I got David Wright, Cano, (A-rod Obviously), Andre Dawson, Mariano & Girardi!

A lot of yankees from that 2009 world series team. I might try to get all their autos.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
scotty21690 said:
Would love to meet Mr. Doerr, unfortunately I don't think he does public signings anymore....I have met Fred Lynn though :)

I am sure you know this, but if you need his sig, he is a GREAT ttm signer.
I know that, have quite a few of his sigs. :) Might still send him a TTM though...

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
scotty21690 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
scotty21690 said:

I am sure you know this, but if you need his sig, he is a GREAT ttm signer.
I know that, have quite a few of his sigs. :) Might still send him a TTM though...

Awesome! I sent him 2 indexs and a questionaire. He swapped my questionaire for a HOF Postcard. That is one of my favorite sigs I have :D

TwinsWin

Mar 14, 2011
ive met Danny Valencia three times and everytime ive talked to him, he laughed when he seen me coming through the line a 3rd time, asked me if there was anything else i need signed

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
TwinsWin said:
ive met Danny Valencia three times and everytime ive talked to him, he laughed when he seen me coming through the line a 3rd time, asked me if there was anything else i need signed

I met him once. He said nothing. Then Dazzle commented on my height and he thought that was funny.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I was able to meet John Olerud only once and get a couple of autographs and a picture. The full story is on my website. He turned out to be just as nice a guy as I thought he would be. It sucks when you collect and even idolize a guy only to find out he's a jerk when you meet him in person!

I've been to a few Jays games when he came back with the Mariners and BoSox and watched him take BP, stretch, etc from the sidelines but I never was able to get an auto. I also tried lining up at their Back-to-Back Reunion Weekend a couple of years ago, but I had my then-2-year-old daughter and wife with me, so hours in line was not going to happen!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The reason I collect Andre Ethier and Jeff Francis is because I met them.
I used to go to the A's AA team in Midland when I lived in Texas.

I met Jeff Francis in 2004 when I was sitting next to him in the stands when he was charting pitches.
He was very friendly and gave me an autographed baseball. He also already had cards available (2002 rookies) and was on his way to winning the Minor League Pitcher of the Year award.

I met Andre Ethier in 2005. He always was super friendly to the fans and my wife got to know his mother at the games.
I have two of his signed bats, a signed hat and tons of other autographed cards, tickets, programs, etc.
He also had cards available since 2003, and was having a great season (Texas League Player of the Year), so I started collecting him too.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I am also a big fan of Justin Gominsky and Jordan Smith (Indians).

I have never met Smith, although I sent him TTM and he was very awesome about returning my item signed.

I met Gominsky and his dad at my first ever Gophers game. My dad and his dad just happened to strike up a conversation with each other and he offered for me to me Justin. He was a really cool guy to meet. He signed a few things for me too. I talked to him at the end of the season and he remembered who I was.

I think it's awesome he made the pros and seems to be doing alright.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
TwinsWin said:

I just watched your avatar for 5 minutes. Ill never forget watching that game.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
Brad,

bet you could sell being Mark's older brother ( by a year or 2) if you wanted too!

I met Jose at a card show and it was pretty much as expected.. they say he's easy going and whatnot and it was pretty much that. Definately would like to see him outside of a venue like that and see what kind of guy he really is. At least I wasn't disappointed although either way it wouldn't have swayed my collecting.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
Great stories guys, keep them coming.

I'm trying to abstain from thinking what I should get signed, I don't want to be disappointed if the deal doesn't go through.

Members online

Latest posts