Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Braun's Bowman Chrome Auto too cheap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
In my view he's the third best hitter in baseball right now, behind Pujols and Cabrera. He's been remarkably consistent over the years, and seems to be entering his prime. $100 for a base Bowman Chrome Auto just seems low to me. I'm a buyer... (throw in the fact I think people are undervaluing 9.5's at the moment, and I snagged this refractor 9.5 for $201.)

$(KGrHqQOKi4E6fG-,jd2BOorNd6tN!~~60_12.JPG

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i agree underloved in the hobby. i think part of the problem is that he is 28 years old, and todays kids (buyers) would rather spend money on players younger.

i do see a good future for that card, but in a PSA 10 holder, not bgs

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
cjb9421 said:
You mustve had ebay bucks or something, it ended at 201
Guess I was not clear. His base Chrome's are going for $100. This one was $200. I was commenting on the price of the base Chromes and then posted the card that I bought (refractor 9.5)

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
MOFNY said:
Black border regular refractors are the best. The silver look is not my favorite.

2005 was the perfect set, with the sole exception of having 1/1 red refractors and 1/1 superfractors (soon after, the reds became /5). The Green refractors from thePit are still missed.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
bradical said:
ThoseBackPages said:

Put down the crazy glue, 99% of the time, a BGS 9.5 outsells a PSA 10.

Always has.

Always will.

Pre 1980 stuff sells better in PSA 10, but the people who collect that way will die off soon enough.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
In my view he's the third best hitter in baseball right now, behind Pujols and Cabrera. He's been remarkably consistent over the years, and seems to be entering his prime. $100 for a base Bowman Chrome Auto just seems low to me. I'm a buyer... (throw in the fact I think people are undervaluing 9.5's at the moment, and I snagged this refractor 9.5 for $201.)...

$100 seems right for this card, because of the team he's on and because I don't think he projects to be a 500HR player.

Just out of curiosity, I remember many of your posts asking whether card(s) x is too cheap, have you had any asking whether card(s) y is too expensive? Maybe you're naturally bullish in the market :)

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
bradical said:
ThoseBackPages said:

Put down the crazy glue, 99% of the time, a BGS 9.5 outsells a PSA 10.

Always has.

Always will.

for now perhaps. but when Braun is a true all-time great, his card will be wanted on the registry, which blows the crap out of anything that BGS can or will do.

and John, when all those guys die off, so will the hobby.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
Topnotchsy said:
In my view he's the third best hitter in baseball right now, behind Pujols and Cabrera. He's been remarkably consistent over the years, and seems to be entering his prime. $100 for a base Bowman Chrome Auto just seems low to me. I'm a buyer... (throw in the fact I think people are undervaluing 9.5's at the moment, and I snagged this refractor 9.5 for $201.)...

$100 seems right for this card, because of the team he's on and because I don't think he projects to be a 500HR player.

Just out of curiosity, I remember many of your posts asking whether card(s) x is too cheap, have you had any asking whether card(s) y is too expensive? Maybe you're naturally bullish in the market :)
I think plenty of cards are too expensive, but posts like that tend to ruffle feathers much quicker than one's like these. :)

The way I see it with Braun is that he's the second best player with a Chrome Autograph after Pujols (Mauer is a pretty unique player, but I'll take Braun over him due to his power and ability to stay on the field.) While he may never be a 500 homerun hitter his all-around stats and consistency have been extremely impressive and he's continued to improve as a player.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Topnotchsy said:

I think plenty of cards are too expensive, but posts like that tend to ruffle feathers much quicker than one's like these. :)

The way I see it with Braun is that he's the second best player with a Chrome Autograph after Pujols (Mauer is a pretty unique player, but I'll take Braun over him due to his power and ability to stay on the field.) While he may never be a 500 homerun hitter his all-around stats and consistency have been extremely impressive and he's continued to improve as a player.

This is an interesting point. I don't follow the pricing, but I'd imagine with the decline of Hanley, Mauer and Wright this year that there's a void to fill, maybe the lack of production this year of these players has hurt FY cards that are 5 or 6 years old.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
There are a couple guys that I think are cheap right now (autographs, at least)...I think Miguel Cabrera, Longoria and Braun are all near the top of that list.

I got this card not all that long ago and did not pay what I thought I would for it:

http://jdrusnak.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/new-arrivals-2011-gypsy-queen-miguel-cabrera/

It helps, I guess, that they all have so many certified autographs out there. Also, the fact that Miguel Cabrera signs through the team might keep down the value of some of this certified autograph offerings.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
Topnotchsy said:

This is an interesting point. I don't follow the pricing, but I'd imagine with the decline of Hanley, Mauer and Wright this year that there's a void to fill, maybe the lack of production this year of these players has hurt FY cards that are 5 or 6 years old.
The decline of those players has opened up a window, though I would take Braun's season this year against any Wright has had, and behind only one of Mauer's and arguably 1-2 of Ramirez's (if any.) IMO this highlights that consistency should not be underrated. Hanley, Wright and Mauer were three of the biggest stars in the gam a couple of seasons ago, and right now it looks like injuries may prevent Mauer from playing at the top of his game, and while I think Hanley has the best chance to bounce back, I've not too confident in Wright being a superstar ever again.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Topnotchsy said:

The one thing is that you can't "short" sell sports cards, so there's not necessarily a productive way to make a bet on the downside other than selling what you currently own. That would be amazing if you could, but obviously the sports cards market is not nearly that efficient or liquid.

Specifically on the topic, at these price points, I like particular Braun RC Autos as well, particularly high-graded copies of his Chrome and Sterling.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
coltsfan23 said:
Topnotchsy said:

The one thing is that you can't "short" sell sports cards, so there's not necessarily a productive way to make a bet on the downside other than selling what you currently own. That would be amazing if you could, but obviously the sports cards market is not nearly that efficient or liquid.

Specifically on the topic, at these price points, I like particular Braun RC Autos as well, particularly high-graded copies of his Chrome and Sterling.

There would be so much money to make that way...

Members online

Latest posts