Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collecting Active Players: Does performance matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Say you're collecting an active player. Many of us latch on to players we liked in college or for some other personal connection we have to that player. But has poor performance or off-field issues or something like that ever changed how you collect? Or have you just taken these things as good news because they're lowing the cost of collecting the player?

I realize that player collectors and investors are rarely the same people, but lately I've been really put off by one of my favorite players' mediocrity on the field and I wanted to hear how others have viewed such scenarios.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I am a realist, so performance does matter. However, it seems 99% of cards go down at some point, and when you have been obsessively collecting a player for 7 years, it doesn't matter anymore. Maybe you can wind up getting rare cards at a discount. It does hurt though; you want your player to always succeed.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
Lol I collect Dice-K, and I just started in late 2010, so he was playing poorly when I started, and still is, so no not really effecting my collecting.

As for randy johnson, hes not active, so I cant say so.

thefatguy

Aug 10, 2008
Canada
Always looking for: Jon Lester Knowshon Moreno Allen Iverson Barry Sanders Shane Battier Felix Doubront Ryan Lavarnway
Yeah, Sanders has played pretty poor in the past decade :lol:

My fav players had some off years (Thomas, Griffey) but I always collected them. Even ARod with all the BS that he has brought on himself over the years.

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
Absolutely matters. I bought a Descalso card while he was clutch then one sold for 8 dollars cheaper a week later. Also product release makes the prices fluxuate.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I ultimately believe you should collect what "you" like. I believe most people do collect players which are fairly good, they don't have the be the best, but good; some collect the best of the best and collecting becomes very expensive, but if you really like the player you just limit the amount you purchase and over time your collecting does grow. If active players aren't good then there will not be too much to collect in the long run since they wont play for an extended period. If a player has on/off field issues I personally would take this into consideration in my collecting the individual.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I'm torn

If my guy does great then lots gets listed but sells high.
If my guy does horrible then not much gets listed but sells low.

I guess I am kind of in your situation regarding mediocrity (actually he's below) but to me this is what separates the collectors, and the guys looking to make a few bucks. I could have made a killing in 2005 but I'd rather have the cards now then the cash then.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I also collect Dice-K, and it's a wonderful time to collect him right now. His cards are worthless and sell for 8-10% on BV, and there's little competition. It's nice when someone you actively collect has a great year and their cards skyrocket, but in the end it doesn't matter to me. My PC cards aren't for sale, so the actual BV or SV is irrelevant.

On the other hand, I'm ready to dump my Mike Cameron collection, and John Lackey might be on the way out as well. Those were two mistakes.

CraigsCards1

Oct 16, 2010
New York, NY
I definitely haven't been as active in collecting Markakis since he's had a couple mediocre years in a row. I still think he could be a 25-hr guy with an OPS in the high .800s but somewhere along the line he decided he'd rather be a slap hitter and his production has suffered.

Dice-K Collector

Mar 21, 2010
DeliciousBacon said:
I also collect Dice-K, and it's a wonderful time to collect him right now. His cards are worthless and sell for 8-10% on BV, and there's little competition. It's nice when someone you actively collect has a great year and their cards skyrocket, but in the end it doesn't matter to me. My PC cards aren't for sale, so the actual BV or SV is irrelevant.

On the other hand, I'm ready to dump my Mike Cameron collection, and John Lackey might be on the way out as well. Those were two mistakes.

This sums it up for me. Awesome time to collect him right now. I just missed a RC ttt gu card on ebay for 16$!!! I thought that was really cheap but my internet was being slow so I missed it, and so I bought a rare RC card instead. Just a great time to get awesome cards of his!

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'm stupid. I sold nothing when JJ blew up in April and was all over Baseball Tonight, MLB Network and other media outlets. Now, he's basically all I buy (with the exception of the rare Northcutt, Josh McCown or Vanegas) because I can get what I want for incredibly cheap and I like multiples.

If he does well, I can't buy as much. When he's hurt, it's time to load up. Can't waiver if you're a player collector :p

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
It doesn't matter to me whatsoever. I began collecting Zito when he was still pretty darn good with the A's. He's routinely awful now, but I still enjoy watching him pitch (probably helps not like the Giants).

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I wouldn't care so much if my player wasn't performing well anymore, but it would be nice if he was playing at all. Webb hasn't pitched for what, 3 years now, so it's hard to keep the motivation going for that collection sometimes. Here's hoping the comeback is finally in year 4.

Members online