Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The "Cameo" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
The purpose of this thread is to help fellow player collectors by showing cards that feature a player (or more) that they may collect on someone elses card.

Of course some cards are more "popular" or well known then others. But i feel that everyone can learn something from one another when it comes to this hobby of ours.

i am currently going to try to collect one of every released MLB card featuring George Brett from his playing days era of cards (1973 - 1994). When i say every, i mean it. Any card featuring his likeness and/or name on it, i would like to own and have slabbed by PSA.

This thread might be of help to other mega-OCD collectors out there.

i went through a handful of $1 sets tonight and was able to land a Brett 1989 Score Traded Sportsflics Trivia Card (#49 of 56). NICE!

to help out others, i will start with 1991 Score Traded:
72238b1d.jpg

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
2011 Topps (and Chrome) Tsyoshi Nishioka (Jose Bautista/Alexi Casilla)

tsuyoshi-nishioka.jpg

This is a great idea for a thread. It should be turned into a website actually... search by player, year, and/or product.

It would be a great resource.

G

TBTwinsFan said:

tsuyoshi-nishioka.jpg

This is a great idea for a thread. It should be turned into a website actually... search by player, year, and/or product.

That one really should just be a Bautista card

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
GoldenBuckeyes said:
TBTwinsFan said:

tsuyoshi-nishioka.jpg

That one really should just be a Bautista card

Can't see his face though.

Still not a good pic.

henderson939

Dec 14, 2009
New Jersey
Great idea. I have my Hendersons broken down like this. Guest Appearences (cameo), Honorable Mentions (name only), & Trivia cards. I have a lot of Trivia cards from different sets over the years. If anyone is looking for their player, I do sell them in small groups for around a buck each card.

1st4040

Aug 10, 2008
New Bedford, Ma.
I have a folder in my photo gallery on my website dedicated to cameo cards of my guy.. currently I own everyone that I know of so if you happen to come up with something in your set digging Eric I'd like to see it!

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I've been collecting the cameo cards for a while. I always figured if Bags is pictured on the card, then I'm gettin it. Back when I started they were called "Bonus Babies". I even went as far as to pursue the parallels of some cards. I think it would be hardest for collectors of catchers. How many batting shots of other players have their catcher in the picture?

Some examples:
1993 Topps 712 Joe Orsulak
Upper%20Deck%20712%20Joe%20Orsulak.jpg

1994 Topps 132 Bret Barberie (i also have the gold)
Topps%20132%20Bret%20Barberie.jpg

1995 Pinnacle 80 Bret Barberie (again) (I have the AP and the Reg, need the museum)
Pinnacle%2080%20Bret%20Barberie%20Artist's%20Proof.jpg

And then dont forget to look at teammates cards...
1999 Victory 173 Derek Bell
Upper%20Deck%20Victory%20173%20Derek%20Bell.jpg

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
David Campos said:
Word up to Eric for creating this thread.

cameo.jpg

OWWWW!
Yo, pretty ladies around the world
Got a weird thing to show you, so tell all the boys and girls
Tell your brother, your sister and your mamma too
'Cause they're about to throw down and you'll know just what to do

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Do you guys consider these cameos? I know from such clues as posture, skin color, position, batting stance and glove hand that these are Mark Grace, but they're obviously fuzzy photos of him. If I know it's Grace, I still pick them up for a few cents and consider them cameos.

I use the year by year team rosters at baseball-reference.com to figure out which teammates batted before him and which pitchers he played with which years to look for cameos.

cameo25.jpg
cameo38.jpg

cameo26.jpg
cameo41.jpg

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
gracecollector said:
Do you guys consider these cameos? I know from such clues as posture, skin color, position, batting stance and glove hand that these are Mark Grace, but they're obviously fuzzy photos of him. If I know it's Grace, I still pick them up for a few cents and consider them cameos.

I use the year by year team rosters at baseball-reference.com to figure out which teammates batted before him and which pitchers he played with which years to look for cameos.

cameo25.jpg
cameo38.jpg

cameo26.jpg
cameo41.jpg

Absolutely those count imo

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
One for the Ricky collectors:
1994FleerTTM.jpg

I didn't notice who was sliding into second until I got this TTM back from the Blue Jay's current 1B coach a couple of months ago. (Posted in the Ricky collector's thread at the time too.)

I personally don't collect cameos of my guy. I figure I have enough to worry about trying to track down his cards. Maybe someday I'll include them though!

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
gracecollector said:

cameo25.jpg
cameo38.jpg

cameo26.jpg
cameo41.jpg

Those are no doubt cameos of Grace. I have a few extremely fuzzy photos of someone supposedly Sandberg. I received a list of cameos from a fellow collector, and I'm taking his word for it.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I collect these and have them listed in an Excel file I created.

It would be nice to find some new cards to look for.

Thanks for the thread.

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
Great idea for a thread - I'll see if I have any to contribute.

I once considered a Fenway Park collection, where I would get all cards where the photo was taken at Fenway. I'm too lazy to do it.

Members online