Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You see, what had happened was....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
You know you are gonna hear a convoluted story any time that phrase leads off a discussion.

Long story short, a repair of a mysql (the database engine that runs this site) table last night due to a temporary corruption led to the table being rebuilt from original install data rather than current data. This was the table that held ALL of the posts made in the history of this website. After getting the site back up and running I knew I was going to have to restore from backup as this is a situation that requires disaster recovery. Then I start looking at the backups and find out that the latest one is corrupt. No big deal, I will just go to the next days backup. This is where it became a big deal because all the backups to the 25th of October had the same corruption. The good news is that I used the down time to fix the on going sql error problems the site has been having. We lost a few days of posts, but I think we gained some stability from it.

I sincerely apologize to you the user because this site is nothing without you, and I should have verified the database backups as they were taken daily. Had I of done this, we wouldn't have lost any data.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Admit it. You spilled cheetos dust into the server.

cgilmo said:
You know you are gonna hear a convoluted story any time that phrase leads off a discussion.

Long story short, a repair of a mysql (the database engine that runs this site) table last night due to a temporary corruption led to the table being rebuilt from original install data rather than current data. This was the table that held ALL of the posts made in the history of this website. After getting the site back up and running I knew I was going to have to restore from backup as this is a situation that requires disaster recovery. Then I start looking at the backups and find out that the latest one is corrupt. No big deal, I will just go to the next days backup. This is where it became a big deal because all the backups to the 25th of October had the same corruption. The good news is that I used the down time to fix the on going sql error problems the site has been having. We lost a few days of posts, but I think we gained some stability from it.

I sincerely apologize to you the user because this site is nothing without you, and I should have verified the database backups as they were taken daily. Had I of done this, we wouldn't have lost any data.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
cgilmo said:

Ummmmmm......I like pants.

poppudaimadochi

Jul 28, 2010
Long Island, NY
cgilmo said:

Thanks for your post, at least you are sincerely trying to explain what happened. I think I speak for everyone, we understand software problems can happen. Worst thing that could have happened is losing a couple PM for trades/sales. Big whoop, contact the person again, I say.

We're back up and running, and that is all that matters. Thanks a ton for your time!!

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
Just glad it's back and running. My whole day gets all twisted when the place is down. :eek: This is where my whole day starts everyday. Thanks for all the work you put in. ;)

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I don't care about the feedback/posts. I care about the pending deals I was working on with the pm's and original threads gone. Along with my set thread that I didn't have backed up yet which is my bad. I know I have 31 coming in but no idea which ones now.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
CollectorsCorner said:
I don't care about the feedback/posts. I care about the pending deals I was working on with the pm's and original threads gone. Along with my set thread that I didn't have backed up yet which is my bad. I know I have 31 coming in but no idea which ones now.

Same here. I had few trades/purchases going. I will figure it out somehow though. :)

Members online

Latest posts