Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1990 Topps Jeff King "No White On Back" Variation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan 14, 2009
Hey,

Just wanted to share a write-up I did on the 1990 Topps Jeff King errror. Listed in the SCD annual at something like $200 or so, several collectors have contacted me for info on this card and it wasn't until recently that I was able to obtain a scan (thanks Richtree/Bishop from the CU boards) to accompany the information I had on it.

http://junkwaxgems.wordpress.com/20...ck-and-why-it-doesnt-belong-in-the-big-books/

Enjoy! Discuss!

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Great article, what you wrote makes tons of sense and I agree with it. IMO the reason why this card may have gained some ("faux"?) prominence is because some segments of the hobby are trying to make the card "extra special" simply because it happens to be a rookie card.

Jan 14, 2009
uniquebaseballcards said:
Great article, what you wrote makes tons of sense and I agree with it. IMO the reason why this card may have gained some ("faux"?) prominence is because some segments of the hobby are trying to make the card "extra special" simply because it happens to be a rookie card.

I think King's RC was in 1988.

If you mean the Frank Thomas NNOF, then I agree it is due to it being the RC of an outstanding player that gets it listed as an "error" despite it falling under Beckett's old rule of "printing flaw." However, I think the card is quite notable and deserving of the sales it gets due to the reasons outlined and it's considerable scarcity, but if it's a true error, then so is every other card missing portions of its ink printed in the 100s or 1000s...and there are many, especially during the overproduction years.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I've often wondered where the line is drawn between legit variation and worthless printing flaw. Many of the variations I've seen on ebay seem to fall under the printing flaw category, where there was an ink issue that created a temporary discoloration or splotches on the card that were eventually fixed. This Jeff King looks to be the same thing, and I'm sure it wouldn't have become known if not for someone hyping it up to get money out of it.

BTW, a followup on one of your posts concerning the 1995 Ultra Prospects Jeter that can be found with out without the copyright info. On COMC there's around 20 listed, and it's half and half; last I checked, 10 had the copyright, and 10 did not.

saucywombat

Feb 4, 2010
Folly Beach, SC
Nice write up that explains the issue well.

1990 Topps is an amazingly consistent product especially considering how many of these things were produced, outside of some inking variations, notably Frank Thomas NNOF, there is really nothing that creates a truly different card.

I suppose error cards are cards that were altered by intentional human manipulations of the card or process, creating at least two distinct versions, and variations in this sense are generally mechanical abberations.

I'm not really a collector of error/variations (outside if the Thomas NNOF and friends) but I do enjoy the treasure hunt aspect of digging through commons to find some of these rarities/oddities/or as of yet undiscovered legitimate errors (someone found a true error card Joe Morgan MGR in 1991 Topps just recently).

BTW - if anyone is interested in the Wathan no-white on back card it is currently on Ebay

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:

OMG, your jihad for rookie cards continues :)

Members online

Latest posts