Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1940 Philadelphia As Autographed Baseball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Got a chance to take pictures of my Dad's 1940's A's baseball this weekend. The two big signatures on it are the Connie Mack and the Al Simmons autos. My great grandfather was buddies with Earle Brucker so he got the ball back in the day and gave it to my dad when he was 14. I'm sure the ball will end up with me some day.

Anyways, thought I would share.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-3.jpg

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Great item. I've come to really like Mack's A's, and would've been a big fan of theirs if I'd been born 70 years earlier.

JTfor3

Mar 5, 2009
I have a similar ball, signed by the 1938 Philadelphia Athletics. Can someone who is knowledge about this tell me an appropriate case to store it, so that it minimizes fading/damage etc?

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Thanks everyone, glad you guys like it. We keep it in the lock box at the bank inside the ball cube box so it gets zero sunlight. I think there's also a little shellac on the ball although it doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
If you are planning on displaying it, get an Ultra-Pro UV blocking ball cube. Personally I'd be very careful with displaying it (dark room, room temperature or a bit colder), but those holders will work best for you in any situation.

JTfor3 said:
I have a similar ball, signed by the 1938 Philadelphia Athletics. Can someone who is knowledge about this tell me an appropriate case to store it, so that it minimizes fading/damage etc?

JTfor3

Mar 5, 2009
Sean_C said:
If you are planning on displaying it, get an Ultra-Pro UV blocking ball cube. Personally I'd be very careful with displaying it (dark room, room temperature or a bit colder), but those holders will work best for you in any situation.

JTfor3 said:

I don't necessarily need/want to display it...just want it kept in the most safe way possible. It is already very brown and aged (obviously, since its over 70 years old), but I would like to prevent it from any further decay.

(Sorry to hijack your thread OP...your ball is in much better condition than mine!)

Mets/Jets

Sep 11, 2011
Awesome ball. Thats in really nice shape. Who is the president on that? Is it William something? I have one that has alot more fading. I cant really read the name. Earl mack signed mine too. I cant remember what year its from. I gotta dig up the paperwork. Thats a ball you will look at often. Nice story about the ball too. Congrats and enjoy.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
::facepalm:: Youre missing the main 2 signatures... :eek:
Hall of Famer's Cornelius McGillicuddy & Aloisius Szymanski

jk ;) Very nice ball

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
edited for double post

So I will say... if you dont know who Aloisius Szymanski (aka Al Simmons)
look up his stats sometime, one of the most underrated players ever and he is a Hall of Famer!

11 straight years of .300+, 11 straight years of 100+ RBI...

253 hits in 1925, 165 RBI in 1930, single season averages of .381, .387, .390, .392, etc.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
Mets/Jets said:
Awesome ball. Thats in really nice shape. Who is the president on that? Is it William something? I have one that has alot more fading. I cant really read the name. Earl mack signed mine too. I cant remember what year its from. I gotta dig up the paperwork. Thats a ball you will look at often. Nice story about the ball too. Congrats and enjoy.

American league president? Not sure, didn't look. I saw that it was the official ball though.

padremurph

Aug 7, 2010
fkw said:
edited for double post

So I will say... if you dont know who Aloisius Szymanski (aka Al Simmons)
look up his stats sometime, one of the most underrated players ever and he is a Hall of Famer!

11 straight years of .300+, 11 straight years of 100+ RBI...

253 hits in 1925, 165 RBI in 1930, single season averages of .381, .387, .390, .392, etc.

Yea, he was a beast. He died in the 50s too so don't think his auto is too common. I've been wanting to pick up a Goudey of his for a while now, just haven't pulled the trigger.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts