Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yoenis Cespedes article and video by Baseball Prospectus

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Looks more like a potential NFL player training for the combine or something, though the video did keep me enthralled, especially when going through the 'play-by-play' commentary.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Cespedes3.jpg

:)

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Interesting video to say the least.

He probably is the best position player to come out of Cuba in a long time (probably Kendry Morales is right there as well) and hes got big time power.

But I am always skeptical about a cuban position player just because they dont typically see the same arsenal of pitches as they do once they come over to north america.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
JzWand said:

He probably is the best position player to come out of Cuba in a long time (probably Kendry Morales is right there as well) and hes got big time power.

But I am always skeptical about a cuban position player just because they dont typically see the same arsenal of pitches as they do once they come over to north america.

Leonys Martin is going to be big time.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
JzWand said:

I see what you're saying, but they have a better success rate than a lot of places. Also, at the suspected price of 30 million for 5 years, teams will be all over that. It's not that much to gamble on when guys like Brandon Inge get that, and hit .220. :lol:

The main thing I would worry about is his age. Almost no one from Cuba is actually the age they say they are.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Minus the crazy antics during his workouts, I am very intrigued by Cespedes.

Obvious power and ability to wait on off-speed.

It's like T.O. and Sammy Sosa had a Cuban love child.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
nborton said:
JzWand said:

I see what you're saying, but they have a better success rate than a lot of places. Also, at the suspected price of 30 million for 5 years, teams will be all over that. It's not that much to gamble on when guys like Brandon Inge get that, and hit .220. :lol:

The main thing I would worry about is his age. Almost no one from Cuba is actually the age they say they are.

I think there are so few guys that actually make it over to get a good read on how good hitters they truly are!
The problem is that the Cuban govt isnt stupid.
They know that a guy like Cespedes or Yulieski Gourriel would command huge money in the US and thus they are under watch by the govt baseball officials.
I think it was Kendry Morales who it took something like 8 attempts to defect before he made it.

But make no mistake about it that there is serious talent on the island and if guys were able to make it over young enough to develope, I wouldnt be surprised if some of the best player in MLB were cuban.

Members online

Latest posts