Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it possible Porcello Wins Starting Job Out Of ST????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Interesting, but I highly doubt that they would move him all the way into the rotation so quickly. Talented as he is, I think he still has some more fine-tuning to do before he is truly ready for the big leagues.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
jeremy said:
bonderman did

Yep, but like the article says, the Tigers were coming off a 100+ loss season going into a complete rebuilding year when Bonderman was pulled up. They are expected to compete for a World Series championship this season so I doubt they will rush him up.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
If they were smart, they wouldn't rush him. I think kershaw was still young and "raw" when he came up but now after more minor league domination i see a very successful year for kershaw.

also i hope d-train can regain his former self. (also verlander lol)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
jeremy said:
bonderman did

Yep, but like the article says, the Tigers were coming off a 100+ loss season going into a complete rebuilding year when Bonderman was pulled up. They are expected to compete for a World Series championship this season so I doubt they will rush him up.

The Tigers were expected to compete for the World Series last year as well...and one pitcher wasn't the difference then and it won't be this season either.

G

anything is possible. It is also not likely. But hey they are coming off a bad bad season,
so they just might like what they see and run with it. Hell D-Train my get hurt again
and end up on the DL and then there will be an open spot. LOL

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
200lbhockeyplayer said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
jeremy said:
bonderman did

The Tigers were expected to compete for the World Series last year as well...and one pitcher wasn't the difference then and it won't be this season either.

I'm definitely a believer in Porcello and I don't doubt that he will be a great MLB pitcher, but it's a lot easier to pull up a pitcher with zero MLB experience into your rotation at the beginning of the year when you're not expected to do anything that season. That's the difference between Porcello and Bonderman.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
200lbhockeyplayer said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
jeremy said:
bonderman did

Yeah, but getting 3 pitchers might be (Bonderman, Willis, Jackson/Porcello). They would all have to pitch well though. I guess that's a given for any team. Really, the main issue was RP. 20+ blown saves will kill you. I think the Tigers could be a lot like the White Sox were last year. They were on top and then faded for a season, then back on top again.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
jeremy said:
bonderman did

And Bonderman was 6-19 with under a 2:1 K/BB ratio and a 5.56ERA that year.

Not a smart move. Besides 2006, Bonderman has never shown what he was thought too either. He's never had an ERA under 4.00.

Detroit made huge mistakes with Jeremy Bonderman's development.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
sheetskout said:
jeremy said:
bonderman did

Not a smart move. Besides 2006, Bonderman has never shown what he was thought too either. He's never had an ERA under 4.00.

Bonderman is the best pitcher on the Tigers if you take out the 1st inning. I read or saw during a game that his ERA minus the 1st is under 2.00. He is said to have ADD/ADHD problems, and can't get focused in the 1st. He said something about not feeling like the game has started until someone scores.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
Something else to consider is the total lack of depth in SP on the Tigers. If anyone goes down with an injury I could see Porcello coming up almost out of necessity if nothing else.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
sheetskout said:
jeremy said:
bonderman did

The biggest mistake with Bonderman is/was his lack of confidence in throwing a third pitch. Every year, there is spring training talk of how he was developing a changeup and then he would give up on it two starts into the season. He actually was using it into May last year when he went down with this season ending injury.

I have always contended that Bonderman doesn't even need the third pitch to be good but he has to throw it 10-15 times a game to give the lefties a different look. There is no doubt in my mind if he throw a third pitch, he will put up a great season. I hope he stays with it this year. The local papers say he is 100% and throwing well.

archiebunkerjr

Dec 11, 2008
Ilitch is getting old and he wants a World Series ring bad. I dont buy into that article's contention that Verlander and Zumaya were different when they were called up at a young age due to college experience and/or minor league experience. If the front office determines that Porcello is one of their best 12 pitchers in the organization, you can bet the farm that he will be playing in the majors. The Tigers are spending $120 million this year. The expectation is to win a World Series and nothing less.

jeremy

Aug 7, 2008
YOU KNOW
ive been quoted 6 times in this thread so far.

i think since leyland is fired after this yr if he doesnt win, hes finna to pull out all the stops and try to get back to the playoffs. this will include taking the best 5 starters out of ST which i think includes Porcello

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts