Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else getting this message from EBAY not paypal??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ndepaul99

Jul 20, 2010
just wondering if anyone else is getting this message from EBAY:

"Dear.............

You have until November 11th, 2011 to enter your social security number or your tax ID into your paypal account, or your ebay listing will be canceled and you will not be allowed to sell until you update this information.

Thank You "

So, i was always under the assumption the whole "Tax ID" thing was a paypal policy and had nothing to do with ebay listings, where in the hell is this coming from??

just wondering if anyone got this message, and why ebay all of the sudden needs this info when i thought all this tax stuff had nothing to do with ebay.

Ndepaul99

Jul 20, 2010
gt2590 said:
MMMM, yummy.

I actually know people around here who serve SPAM as the main dish for Dinner.

If you mean to say, that i am trying to spam my auctions on ebay your very wrong. trust me the guys on here know when to look for my auctions and draft isnt out yet so i dont have anything for people to look for..

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Ndepaul99 said:
gt2590 said:
MMMM, yummy.

what the heck does this post mean?

While I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure that e-mail is a false e-mail sent to you to get you to log into your PP account for hacking purposes. These "phishing" e-mails are called SPAM.

I would double-check the sender, not open it, then log in to eBay separate and see if it's in your "Messages". It probably isn't...

Ndepaul99

Jul 20, 2010
gt2590 said:
Ndepaul99 said:
gt2590 said:
MMMM, yummy.

While I'm no expert, I'm pretty sure that e-mail is a false e-mail sent to you to get you to log into your PP account for hacking purposes. These "phishing" e-mails are called SPAM.

I would double-check the sender, not open it, then log in to eBay separate and see if it's in your "Messages". It probably isn't...

it wasnt an email, it was a pop-up when i logged into my ebay account. like when you first log in and you get those ad pop-ups before you go to "my ebay"

Ndepaul99

Jul 20, 2010
bump....as i think this is pretty important. this is directly from ebay when you log into not some spoof email...

Ndepaul99

Jul 20, 2010
cstmleather said:
Are you charging sales tax on any items? Or just exceeded the 20K/200 transactions?

not charging sales tax, but i have exceeded the 200 items not the 20,000 though

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Spam. i Would NOT give out this info. even if it was in my "messages". I dont care even if i loose my account. i would NOT trust this. Esp. being that is was a pop up. If not in your messages then ignore it!

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
Ndepaul99 said:
cstmleather said:
Are you charging sales tax on any items? Or just exceeded the 20K/200 transactions?

not charging sales tax, but i have exceeded the 200 items not the 20,000 though
I am also NOT charging sales tax-and I HAVE exceeded 200 items, and $20,000.

However, I have NOT seen any kind of message like this. I am leaning towards this being a scam, as well-but I can't say for certain. I figured if this was true, it would be true with my eBay account, too. But, as I said, I haven't seen this message.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Ndepaul99 said:
bump....as i think this is pretty important. this is directly from ebay when you log into not some spoof email...

It's probably too late. He's probably getting the message after logging in to a spoof Ebay Site.

I can't recall legit ebay ever giving me popup screens. Only intermediate screens going from the login screen to "my ebay", for example.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Ndepaul99 said:
gt2590 said:
Ndepaul99 said:
gt2590 said:
MMMM, yummy.

it wasnt an email, it was a pop-up when i logged into my ebay account. like when you first log in and you get those ad pop-ups before you go to "my ebay"

Top of the page? Yes. They want your info sooner than later in-case you cross the TWO tax thresholds.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I think if I had an message that popped up when I logged into eBay, the first people I would contact is eBay for reliable answers, not FCB, but hey, that's just me.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I'd call ebay and I'd also run an ad-ware program to see if anything pops up. I was getting pop-ups from here and ran a scan and all gone. I never trust anything from ebay if its not in my messages.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
rsmath said:
Ndepaul99 said:

It's probably too late. He's probably getting the message after logging in to a spoof Ebay Site.

I can't recall legit ebay ever giving me popup screens. Only intermediate screens going from the login screen to "my ebay", for example.

haha, you can't be serious.

and yes, I'm getting the message too on ebay.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
Is it an actual "pop up" window, or just on the "ad" screen that pops up just about every time you log in?

Ebay owns paypal, so they're probably just giving reminders to get the info in, so that they don't have to track everyone down at the last minute.

I got an email about 2 weeks ago to get my info in. I went to paypal and checked, and it had a message that I was lacking the info. I entered it and all is well, and I'm nowhere near either limit.

Everything isn't a "phishing" email. Everyone knows paypal is needing to gather this info. Just go provide it and be done with it. Or quit using Paypal. Those are your choices.

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
If it was an actual pop-up I wonder if I was getting the same thing. It was weird cause it was only on a few listings when it happened. Pop-up blocker asked if I wanted to allow a dowload from Ebay. Forget what it was exactly, just remember it had "tag" somewhere in it.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
cstmleather said:
If it was an actual pop-up I wonder if I was getting the same thing. It was weird cause it was only on a few listings when it happened. Pop-up blocker asked if I wanted to allow a dowload from Ebay. Forget what it was exactly, just remember it had "tag" somewhere in it.

If it's an actual pop-up, or asking to download something, then I would question it. But if it's just the ad screen after logging in, it's probably just a reminder.

Members online

Latest posts