Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Royals Interested in Zambrano

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Check out the bolded sentence.

Royals Interested In Carlos Zambrano
By Tim Dierkes [November 8, 2011 at 12:05pm CST]
The Royals have interest in Cubs starter Carlos Zambrano, Mark Carman at 610 Sports Radio learned from talking with GM Dayton Moore yesterday (CSNChicago.com's David Kaplan has Moore's quotes). Moore's comments on Zambrano:

"We would have to be interested. We would have to explore it because that's what you should do. You should explore every opportunity. Carlos Zambrano is a heckuva competitor. Carlos Zambrano has had a lot of success in the major leagues. Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field. Sometimes, as with all of us the competitiveness takes over and brings out qualities in us that we are not proud of. Obviously the Cubs grew tired of some of his outbursts but I believe in our coaching staff and we'll always take a chance and a risk on certain players. We'll see how that particular situation unfolds."

Zambrano is owed $18MM in 2012, and has a $19.25MM option that vests for 2013 if he finishes in the top four of the 2012 Cy Young vote. The option seems highly unlikely to vest, but if Zambrano is somehow that good in 2012, perhaps his team wouldn't mind another year. Moore's comments on Z's contract:

"He has a no-trade clause for 29 other teams so he is going to have to be comfortable wherever he goes and there is a lot of money attached to his deal. There is a vesting option that is a part of that worth $18 or 19 million going forward. We certainly wouldn't want to put ourselves in a position where we have to honor a contract of that nature."

As I wrote in August, Zambrano has major negative trade value. As a pitcher he's worth a few million dollars, so maybe the Cubs could trade Zambrano for a low-level prospect while assuming $15MM. That assumes Zambrano would approve a trade without requiring compensation. Jed Hoyer told Kaplan he has the ability to eat any contract he feels is necessary to improve the club. It'd probably be better for the Cubs to instead take on a similar bad contract and hope for some value out of that player.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/r ... brano.html

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Think the Cubs are going to have to take on a contract like Vernon Wells or something a little bit easier to stomach like Carlos Lee's or Adam Lind's with some prospects included to rid themselves of Z. Royals only have Billy Butler's bad contract.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
I understand the move they made for Sanchez, but c'mon, it's not like they will be contenders in 2012.
Just let the young guys like Duffy and others have some MLB experience, there is absolutely no need for Big Z.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
This actually would not be a terrible move for the Royals if they can get the Cubs to play their hand.

Think about it. The Cubs are fed up with Z and his antics. The Royals still need pitching. I'd offer the Cubs Vin Mazzaro and a low A prospect that is not in the Royals plans for 2013 and require them to eat most of Z's contract. I bet you the Cubs would seriously mull that over.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
19braves77 said:
...Royals only have Billy Butler's bad contract.

How is a 25 year old who has 100 RBI and .300 BA potential, who is due to make 8 million a year over the next three years a bad contract?

If the Royals deal for Zambrano I will be livid. Got money to spend, but don't waste it on Z.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
JustinVerlander35 said:
I bet if the Royals offered 500K and a bag of skittles the Cubs would take it. They have been trying to move Big Z for a while now.
According to...?

If the Cubs are going to pay $15m to move Zambrano, then why wouldn't they just have him pitch for $18m?

Jaypers said:
Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field.
http://bigzfoundation.com/

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Butler's contract is great if he plays like John Olerud thru the contract. Problem is he doesn't have Olerud's body. Bill James says in his new book that just came out he is the third worst base runner in MLB. 25 million or more over the next three years is a lot of money for a small market time like the Royals. I am willing to bet over a course of a season, Eric Hinske could produce what Butler does way cheaper.

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
ChasHawk said:
JustinVerlander35 said:
I bet if the Royals offered 500K and a bag of skittles the Cubs would take it. They have been trying to move Big Z for a while now.
According to...?

If the Cubs are going to pay $15m to move Zambrano, then why wouldn't they just have him pitch for $18m?

Jaypers said:
Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field.

Because when he is pitching he spends more time throwing punches at his team-mates and having temper tantrums than pitching. They need to move him.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
JustinVerlander35 said:
ChasHawk said:
JustinVerlander35 said:
According to...?

Jaypers said:
Because when he is pitching he spends more time throwing punches at his team-mates and having temper tantrums than pitching. They need to move him.
He has a seaons avg record of 14-9

He has had several incidents that have been blown up by the media, so people think its happened 20 times or something.

He is a childish ass, but why would ANY team pay a player $15 million to pitch for another team?

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
19braves77 said:
Butler's contract is great if he plays like John Olerud thru the contract. Problem is he doesn't have Olerud's body. Bill James says in his new book that just came out he is the third worst base runner in MLB. 25 million or more over the next three years is a lot of money for a small market time like the Royals. I am willing to bet over a course of a season, Eric Hinske could produce what Butler does way cheaper.

They have plenty of money. They refuse to spend it.

signed

a season ticket holder

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
ChasHawk said:
JustinVerlander35 said:
ChasHawk said:
JustinVerlander35 said:
According to...?

Jaypers said:
He has a seaons avg record of 14-9

He has had several incidents that have been blown up by the media, so people think its happened 20 times or something.

He is a childish ass, but why would ANY team pay a player $15 million to pitch for another team?
The Braves paid $10 million for Derek Lowe to lose games for the Indians. I'm OK with that.

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
Ryan The Orange said:
Kansas City would be a much better town for Big Z than Chicago... Greinke did well there despite anxiety issues.

I agree, it's not like it's like a Boston or New York. Not a lot of people expect them to win. Hell a .500 season would probably be like the playoffs.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
JustinVerlander35 said:
Ryan The Orange said:
Kansas City would be a much better town for Big Z than Chicago... Greinke did well there despite anxiety issues.
I agree, it's not like it's like a Boston or New York. Not a lot of people expect them to win. Hell a .500 season would probably be like the playoffs.
Because as a Major Leaguer, thats where I'd want to go.

To the shittiest team in the game, with a snowball's chance in hell of even sniffing the playoffs.

There's kids all over the world with that same dream.

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
ChasHawk said:
JustinVerlander35 said:
Ryan The Orange said:
Because as a Major Leaguer, thats where I'd want to go.

To the shittiest team in the game, with a snowball's chance in hell of even sniffing the playoffs.

There's kids all over the world with that same dream.

At least your looking at it with a good attitude. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts