Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question for COMC sellers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
I know COMC is discussed quite frequently, but I had a quesiton for sellers.

What cards seem to move pretty well? Lower end inserts like Refractors or serial numbered inserts? Lower end jerseys/autos? Does anyone move any mid-level cards ($25-$50)? Or maybe even high end stuff? Or is it just a case of competitively priced cards sell regardless?

I was thinking of setting up an account to move some cards that just kind of sit around here and using the credit to pick up better cards from the site. Thanks for any help.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
IMO it is a watered down site now. I get more for my cards everywhere else. Still has nice features but if you do the work yourself you will easily get more.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
CollectorsCorner said:
IMO it is a watered down site now. I get more for my cards everywhere else. Still has nice features but if you do the work yourself you will easily get more.

Is it watered down because the prices there are much cheaper than yours? Just comparing your beckett site, I can see why you wouldn't sell much there. I am not trying to be rude, but just and observation.

It is a great place to buy singles. I just picked up 30 Starlin Castro's for my collection last night.

skrip

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
CollectorsCorner said:

Where is everywhere else? A Beckett Marketplace spot is more than I want to spend for these types of cards and they simply won't sell on Ebay. I have them in various $.25/$.50/$1 boxes in my shop, but they're starting to pile up and I just want to move them.

No one locally is interested in a 2011 Topps Chrome Refractor Matt Garza for $0.50 or even a quarter.

ebechols

Jan 20, 2011
Montgomery, AL
I agree with your idea, especially as I would be more inclined to buy that Matt Garza card from COMC than I would from ebay or beckett. I like that I can buy multiple singles from COMC, and not have to pay more in shipping than what the card is worth. I buy quite a bit of the low end cards that I use for in person autographs from COMC, because of the shipping costs being bundled.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
+1 for COMC as a buyer. I usually try to pick up all my low end Upton refractor, insert, base stuff from there because I can save a ton on shipping.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
ballerskrip said:
CollectorsCorner said:

Is it watered down because the prices there are much cheaper than yours? Just comparing your beckett site, I can see why you wouldn't sell much there. I am not trying to be rude, but just and observation.

It is a great place to buy singles. I just picked up 30 Starlin Castro's for my collection last night.

skrip

I didn't mean that. I pay a lot for my Beckett store but it is also where I get my highest profit in sales. I was more talking that I sell on message boards/eBay/card shows higher than I do on COMC. I buy a blue refractor for 50 cents on there and have to price it at 90 cents because someone has theirs priced at 90 cents. I do this full time so I don't mind doing the work myself and I understand the appeal of them doing the work for you when you have a busy life of your own. I love buying off there and I do sell stuff on there from time to time. I started with 40 dollars in my account and have been buying and flipping for up to 400 in BV now. So yes it is a decent site and well run but the port sales and everyone always in a hurry to dump their stuff makes it my lowest area that I sell.

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Greg Cleveland said:
Goodinfo, guys. I've never used COMC, but have thought about it. I was browsing for Gaetti stuff and found probably about 20 cards I could use from many different sellers. How does shipping work in a situation like that?

Last month i bought a bunch of Bagwells. You basically add money into your account, and "buy" the cards. You then own them, and can ship them all at once when you are ready. And based on the pricey shipping, I would wait until you are all done shopping then send em all at once instead of a few at a time. Oh, and I scored on my shipment cuz it happened to fall on a discount shipping weekend. So the fact you are shopping from many different sellers means nothing cuz they are all coming from one warehouse.

And dont forget to make offers. I got a lot of my cards for even less than asking price by offering less.

I've thought of trying to move my Berkmans and Biggios using COMC as well. Havent quite pulled the trigger yet though.

henwo

Sep 1, 2008
I've found that inserts/low end parallels/serial numbered tend to move pretty well as collectors look to pick them up without the high cost of shipping as on Ebay. Cheaper Autos/GU also move well depending on the set/player. In general it does seem that competitively priced cards move better. The audience seems to be set/player collectors and other sellers looking for a chance to flip.

It's definitely worth selling there for those cards you couldn't get a 0.99 bid on Ebay for.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Shipping is always combined; COMC keeps all the cards in their location -- so shipping is always reasonable and is well contained.

I do sell on COMC and I have no real complaints about anything they do there.

They will also tell you if you ask that cards under $1 BV are not usually good to sell on the site

Rich

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Do a little research before you send cards in. If there are already 10 or more cards on the site, why spend the .20 and future storage fees to send it in. Just looking at the first page of the recently added Ripken cards:

'91 Panini - 66
'94 Flair - 25
'86 Topps - 56
'84 Topps - 29
'07 UD MAsterpieces - 52
'88 Fleer - 56
'94 Collectors Choice Silver Sig - 23

Why bother trying to compete on common cards when the site is loaded with them? Do people just send in every card they own? I don't get it.

TwinGnats

May 25, 2010
Fridley, MN
I can't figure out the super low end cards but I've been able to sell cards that I would never sell at any price locally for decent values. I've sold a couple higher end cards $20.00 or more but my bread an butter in terms of sales are things priced between $1 - $5.

My stats so far (sent a 200 card lot to start with last Feb, only sent more cards when I had credit to pay for it)

Items in Inventory 1,823
Total Book Value $8,890.45
Items w/o Book Price 5
Total Asking Price $2,653.41
Items w/o Asking Price 0
Items Not for Sale 91
Items Ready to Ship 83
Total Sales $1,174.56
Items Sold 899
Items Purchased 355
Items Added to the Site 2,462

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
tpeichel said:
Do a little research before you send cards in. If there are already 10 or more cards on the site, why spend the .20 and future storage fees to send it in. Just looking at the first page of the recently added Ripken cards:

'91 Panini - 66
'94 Flair - 25
'86 Topps - 56
'84 Topps - 29
'07 UD MAsterpieces - 52
'88 Fleer - 56
'94 Collectors Choice Silver Sig - 23

Why bother trying to compete on common cards when the site is loaded with them? Do people just send in every card they own? I don't get it.

I don't totally agree with your thinking. When I find a card or two I need, I almost always look at what else the buyer has to offer. The more cards he has that I need, the better deal I will likely get when making an offer on the lot.

I guess it also depends on what kind of volume a seller was planning on sending in. Either way, good luck to the OP!

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
I can’t really figure it out. I believe myself to be very competitive on pricing, but I haven’t had any luck at all selling low-end like Bowman gold and common refractors and such. However, my Hamels stuff was absolutely flying off my COMC virtual shelf when I first sent them in. $3 for jersey cards, $3-$4 for refractor parallels, $0.40 for an SPx base card. So then I sent in a bunch of similar Verlander stuff, and have had almost no interest. It is just so varied that I don’t think anyone can really tell what will or won’t sell.

Here’s my last 20 sales. I don’t think I would have sold them for the same prices on ebay, so I do think there is a niche. Only 3 of them involved an offer, so for the most part they sold at what I priced them at. Hope it gives you an idea of what you may or may not be able to sell, but again, it seems somewhat random to me.

2011 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini 168 Alex Gordon $0.50
2008 Upper Deck Goudey Mini Red Backs 122 Alex Rodriguez $1.00
2011 Topps Wal Mart Blue Diamond BDW6 Aroldis Chapman $1.50
2005 Zenith 213 Justin Verlander RC (Rookie Card) $3.00
2007 Bowman Chrome Prospects Gold Refractors BC84 Will Venable $12.00
2009 Upper Deck UD Game Jersey GJMK Matt Kemp $2.00
2011 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Figures of Sport FS14 Curlin $0.40
2006 Topps Update Rookie Debut RD6 Dan Uggla $0.50
2009 Topps Chrome Blue Refractors 169 Cole Hamels $4.00
2006 Topps 52 Chrome 22 Yurendell DeCaster $0.40
2011 Topps Chrome Atomic Refractors 78 Sean Rodriguez $0.75
2011 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Mini 147 Grant Hill $0.50
2008 Upper Deck Yankee Stadium Legacy Collection 6 Babe Ruth $2.00
2009 Upper Deck Spectrum Red 70 Xavier Nady $0.50
2008 Upper Deck Heroes Black 149 Tim Lincecum $0.75
2010 Topps National Chicle 36 Derek Jeter $0.50
2008 Ultimate Collection 9 Chipper Jones $2.00
2006 Topps Update Rookie Debut RD2 Ian Kinsler $0.50
2011 Topps Marquee Blue 5 Ozzie Smith $3.00
2011 Topps Marquee 16 Brandon Phillips $0.75

Old Kentucky Shark

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas
Thanks for all of the imput, guys. I was planning on sending in a bunch of inserts like refractors, serial numbered stuff, etc. It would mostly be lower end stuff, but my send in some mid level stuff, too. I move the cheap gu/auto stuff out of a $3 box at the shop pretty easily, so I'll most likely keep that stuff here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts