Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ebay feedback extortion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
The Armpit of America: NEW JERSEY!
So I sold a Starlin Castro Triple Threads Auto to a buyer with 16 feedback, ebay ID: "danthemansboxbreak", and after he receives the card I get this lovely message:

hey i got the card, but the top left corner was pretty dinged man, i am planning on leaving some nasty feedback, but if u take 5 dollars off of the price, i will gladly "forget" about the condition of the card, and leave 100% posostive feedback ;) but please just send me a message and hopefully u can give me 5 bucks and i will forget about this

The card in question was in mint condition when I sent it to him.

What's my next move? Call Ebay and report this douchenozzle?

timthomas

Oct 22, 2009
Either give him the $5 or ask him to send the card back for a refund. This same situation has happen to me last week and it made me very angry also. Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Jojo

danimal

Dec 28, 2009
Report the email, that is feedback extortion and if you get a negative it will be removed.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
timthomas said:
Either give him the $5 or ask him to send the card back for a refund. This same situation has happen to me last week and it made me very angry also. Good luck in whatever you decide to do

Jojo

That would be like giving in and letting them get away with it, wouldn't it?

bdal23

Aug 7, 2008
Report the guy to eBay. Hopefully it gets him kicked off or a nice suspension

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
hard to imagine evolved human beings would actually
do things like this. I just cant imagine ever thinking this way.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Well, I tried to get a phone # to call for this, but when I clicked the links on the Customer support page for "report a member" and feedback extortion, it took me to an online form instead. I filled out the form with a copy of the message and explained the situation, so hopefully ebay will take action against him, or at least block him from leaving a negative or remove it if he is able to leave one. Now I'll just cross my fingers and wait :|

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Guy has left feedback 13 times. 1 negative and 2 neutrals (all for slow shipping.)

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
ThoseBackPages said:
another strike against raw cards on ebay

With all due respect I've seen plenty of examples of graded cards, both PSA and BGS, that the person doing the grading must have been blind.
Or perhaps the person who submitted the card wasn't one of the "regulars".
I would start posting examples and state "another strike against graded cards on Ebay" but I'm just not that OCD. :lol:
To the OP, I think as long as you report him and his email you will be fine.
David

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
David T. said:
ThoseBackPages said:

With all due respect I've seen plenty of examples of graded cards, both PSA and BGS, that the person doing the grading must have been blind.
I would start posting examples and state "another strike against graded cards on Ebay" but I'm just not that OCD. :lol:
David

I think he's just referring to the fact that if it is graded, someone can't find some "mysterious damage" after the fact. If it's graded a 9, that's what they'll get. Whether the card itself deserved the grade is another discussion.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
RZimm11 said:
David T. said:
ThoseBackPages said:

David

I think he's just referring to the fact that if it is graded, someone can't find some "mysterious damage" after the fact. If it's graded a 9, that's what they'll get. Whether the card itself deserved the grade is another discussion.

Correct.

cmnkb8

Nov 17, 2009
Update: After I wrote back to the buyer telling him that I will not give in to his extortion demands and will report his message to ebay, he has seemingly backpedaled and claimed he wasn't threatening bad feedback and was just trying to get $5 back in exchange for "better feedback" (whatever that means). He then proceeded to leave a positive rating for me.

I'm guessing he tries to pull this crap on every deal hoping that some sellers give in to his demands, and if he gets called out for extortion he simply tries to play it off as a misunderstanding.

I'll need to run a DSR report on his feedback once it updates in Ebay's system. If he left me a bunch of 1's I"m gunna be pissed. A negative would've been better in that case, since it would've been removed, but a positive with a bunch of 1's will stick on my record for 12 months :evil:

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
cmnkb8 said:
Update: After I wrote back to the buyer telling him that I will not give in to his extortion demands and will report his message to ebay, he has seemingly backpedaled and claimed he wasn't threatening bad feedback and was just trying to get $5 back in exchange for "better feedback" (whatever that means). He then proceeded to leave a positive rating for me.

I'm guessing he tries to pull this crap on every deal hoping that some sellers give in to his demands, and if he gets called out for extortion he simply tries to play it off as a misunderstanding.

I'll need to run a DSR report on his feedback once it updates in Ebay's system. If he left me a bunch of 1's I"m gunna be pissed. A negative would've been better in that case, since it would've been removed, but a positive with a bunch of 1's will stick on my record for 12 months :evil:

Why did you even tell him were you going to report him? Just report the bastard.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
This isn't feedback extortion; this is negotiation.

If the card truly was damaged, and the buyer received damaged goods - then he has options.

1) Suck it up.

2) Return it for a full refund.

3) Negotiate for a partial refund.

HE's choosing #3. While he's using the word "feedback", it should be allowable. If he received damaged goods with no reimbursement, negative feedback should be left. If a deal can be made that makes both parties happy, then positive feedback would be left.

This is all predicated, of course, that the card really was damaged... but the buyer's done nothing wrong here.

Members online