Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

are you picky with your fave player collection?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I am a huge Steve Carlton collector but with low funds and so forth I find myself passing on a lot of cards. BUT not due to funds but to the fact I find the cards ugly. Do you do the same? I display all my Carlton auto/GU's so maybe that has a factor in it. But I seem to be passing on a lot because I find the card ugly. Or do you all just grab them all????

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
i hear you. im grateful that i only collect cards from when the player actually played. that means that i dont have to worry about GU and there are only a few autos that i have to locate

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
ThoseBackPages said:
i hear you. im grateful that i only collect cards from when the player actually played. that means that i dont have to worry about GU and there are only a few autos that i have to locate
thats a good idea

PujolsCollector

Jan 17, 2011
St.Louis
I want every card of Descalso. Sadly my collection has been at a 2 month standstill as I have not had the money to spend on cards or anything else.

ukbrian2011

Oct 3, 2011
Kentucky
I only collect Murphy cards with the Braves. Far as I'm concerned he never played for Philly or Col. I try to get anything else of his though.

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
Since your PC is of Steve Carlton I think you have the right idea of just collecting/acquiring the cards that you like and enjoy. I'm sure that he has far more cards being produced currently than in his playing days. Therefore, you (nor likely anyone else) could likely afford "all" of his cards anyway. Might as well only collect the one's that you do like and desire to add to your collection. I wish I was like ThoseBackPages and only collect the playing day cards, but at least for me, that's very hard to do so. I bet even if you did collect just his playing day cards there's probably some real toughies to try and acquire of Carlton (what a GREAT pitcher he was!).

With mcgwires total run of over 5,000 cards I try to focus on
Just autographed cards And memorabilia.

TJ Schwartz of Tuff Stuffs monthly column " On Your Side" put it best ,
" you can't buy everything , so buy what you like "

So yes at this point im picky And I buy what appeals

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
bongo870 said:
ThoseBackPages said:
thats a good idea

It is a good idea, and I almost follow the same path.

I do however collect some gu and auto's that I find attractive. I guess I pass on 90+% of modern sets.

I am picky, but I do go for whatever catches my eye.

ideal0024

Jan 22, 2009
Maplewood, MN
Only Joe Mauer cards serial numbered to his jersey number 7/***.

I have all of his RC cards (except a Chrome Gold Refractor) & I knew there was no way I could get "all" of his stuff, so this was a way I could still chase some interesting cards & it actually makes the hunt much more fun.

dp33

Jun 2, 2009
Definitely. I like cards that picture batters batting and pitchers pitching. There are exceptions (2010 Verlander Chicle), but I'm much more inclined to pick up cards that have a great action shot. 2010 Bowman Chrome Lincecum - yes. 2010 Topps Chrome 206 Lincecum - ugh. 2011 Bowman Chrome Weeks - yes. 2008 Topps Chrome Weeks - no thanks. Don't even get me started on 2011 Heyward cards.

jpcz

Aug 10, 2008
NY
I am pretty picky with my Griffey collection. Only auto's, i personally dont want to waste time with inserts and game used. To me, an autograph is the best thing to have of a player and that's all i care about. I only do on-card autos...Griffeys sig is too big for those little stickers and i think it looks terrible when he is forced to crunch up his signature.

I also have to like the looks of the card...there are not many designs out there that i dont like, but there are some. Reds vs. Mariners doesnt matter much to me...I am a fan of the player not the team.

I consider myself picky for those reasons, although i know there are griffey collectors out there that are even more picky than myself. Luckily, there are so many of his cards out there that i dont have to wait long to add to my collection...only issue is the cost of what i like..

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Somewhat. In my mind and through my eyes, I'll never be fully happy with it, until I have 99.9% of what I need ...

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i am very picky now. looking for mainly scarce inserts from the 90's. but will pick up what i like from time to time. :D

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Can't really be picky right now. Lawrie only has a few cards before 2011. I only have Chromes at this point, but plan on going back to get Razor autos and maybe some Topps stuff.

~AJ

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
When i started to collect Ken Griffey jr. back in the late 90's i went nuts! I collected over 2,500 different cards of his. But Carlton is a bit harder beacuse most of his are gu or auto'd

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I am not in any way a completist. There are 100s of Dawson cards that I have no desire to own. TTT, Tribute, Gypsy Queen, Sterling.

I actually sold off several Dawson patch autos last year from 2007 TTT, because I no longer cared for the way they looked.

alwayson22

Dec 6, 2010
San Jose, CA
I am picky with my Duchscherer collection only in that I don't care for dupes. I just focus on collecting as many different cards as possible, which is not difficult considering he only has 323 total cards.

As for my Rickey Henderson collection, I am working on it year by year starting with 1980. He just has so many cards coming out each year now (and so many collectors driving up the price on the SP and SSP), that I could never keep up (financially or mentally). It is more fun for me to grab the older stuff.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
I go for any and every item I can for my Burks collection, regardless of aesthetic value. I do chase his Red Sox cards more actively, however.

Members online

No members online now.