Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

If Pujols leaves StLouis, does the 01 Bowman Chrome Auto RC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I hope everyone is with me in saying that the best thing for baseball and our hobby is that he stays in St. Louis.

I do think his card will command strong prices as they do now, but will dip a bit if he's out of that uni. Normally it doesn't matter as much, but he's a proven HOFer for 10 years now. I think the uniform to identify with him and those prices need to stay in st. louis. If for some reason he goes on a tear with 60 HR for the next 3 years on a different team, years from now many will associate him with those seasons and the team he'd be on. It always helps star power and sales to remain with one team.

sports-vault

Apr 6, 2011
Oyster Bay, NY
championMan said:
If he goes to a big market team it will actually goes up. As see from last year A.Gonzalez.

I disagree. Adrian Gonzalez played for the Padres for a few years. Pujols has been in St Louis for 10 and St Louis is a great baseball town

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Wait Adrians prices didnt rise other than the rookie cards
Trust me I know his autos remained at around same price
no matter what he did so I still have them :lol:

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
cjb9421 said:
I'd put good money on the fact that Pujols STAYS in STL though.

I agree.

I think winning a 2nd ring helps. What more does he have to play for? Sure he would like 3 or more.... but he has a great thing going in St. Louis.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I dont know about st louis. It is known for 2 things outside of baseball fans, Budweiser and routinely being the most dangerous city to live in. I would think going to another city would add a large amount of big spenders joining in if he moved to another city.

Pujols in reality right now , with the mOney that owners are stupid enough to give players
You can't blame a Guy who will take what he can get. Compared to what other players are making , Pujols for his ability to impact a lineup and carry a team like he has done during stretch runs and his power that can win a playoff round (Brewers) , he is underpaid.
If Ryan Howars is making more then him , then you can't blame Albert for trying to get paid more then Howard. It is the owners fault, but Albert is a business man. I understand he already has made money some of us besides Wossa can only fathom , but at the end of the day it is business to guys like Pujols. You don't see many instances like Kerry Wood who turned down more money from the Yanks to remain in a city he enjoys playing in.

I would like to see Albert stay because you don't see great players like him , Chipper, Jeter, etc stay with 1 team during their entire career. Also it really takes away from my spring training trip this upcoming year. The Cardinals without Tony & Albert would be really strange to see when you go to the ballpark.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
I don't think it matters. Many of them are in personal collections. Most of the ones on eBay turn over multiple times a year due to dealers trying to bump the grades, etc.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
he will most likely stay, but that card is iconic and therefore will not fall much. never owned one, but this became my favorite once encased in gold. if it had had an on-card auto it would be huge. only /99 of them.

picture.php

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Won't matter. Unless someone like the Royals or the Pirates make him an offer he literally can't refuse, and he disappears off frequent out-of-market TV games, and isn't in the playoffs for the foreseeable future, the only thing that will affect that card's price is his inevitable decline in production. Simply going to Cincy didn't kill Griffey's 89UD card, his hitting .270 for a .500 team then getting injured every year did, coupled with the shrinking collector base. The 2001 BC Pujols is the gold standard for modern rookie cards, and the fact that he might not be wearing the Cardinals uniform any more won't matter to the people willing to pay $3000 for it. If there's a disproportionate amount of them held by die-hard Cards fans who rage-sell them for his betraying their team and going to Chicago or someplace, there might be a temporary glut in supply, but that'll be remedied quickly.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Different sport/player and I understand the backlash, but look at LeBron James. His autos sold $180-$250+ almost no matter what it was while with Cavs. Now they are down across the board. Could happen to Pujols. Even if he, gulp, became a Cub, I doubt Cub fans would want his cards in the dreaded Cardinals uni.

~AJ

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
The_Reverend said:
he will most likely stay, but that card is iconic and therefore will not fall much. never owned one, but this became my favorite once encased in gold. if it had had an on-card auto it would be huge. only /99 of them.

picture.php
I saw one of those at a sports card show in Southern California and it did have an autographed, it was even more beautiful. The guy that had it had Albert take his time and signed straight across the bottom like he did to did his Bowman chrome. It is an absolute shame that he won't get what he's asking for it because it was an IP autograph.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
One of the actual suitors for him could probably hurt the values pretty significantly.

They have a brand new stadium opening this year.

They want a superstar name to bring fans in (many of whom are hispanic).

They have pledged to make a significant splash in FA this year.

You know who i'm talking about,,,,,,,

The Florida Marlins.

BOOM

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I think his performance, not the team he ends up on, is going to determine if the 01 bc retains its value.

If he ends up with the pirates, and hits .330/40/120, his cards will retain their values.

If he ends up with the Yankees, and pulls an A-fraud, his cards will lose value.

In the big picture, though, he has pretty much cemented his legacy in the MLB as being one of the top 5 players of his generation.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
One simply can't overlook the fact that a big part of Pujols' mystique is as a Cardinal.

Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Mickey Mantle, George Brett, Don Mattingly, Kirby Puckett, Robin Yount, etc etc etc have increased popularity simply because they stayed with a single team, this is reflected in the value of *all* their cards, not just their rookie cards.

Does the market command a premium for Frank Thomas cards where he's pictured as a Blue Jay or an Athletic? Griffey on the White Sox? Of course not.

I bet guys like Carlton Fisk would've been more popular in the hobby if they had remained with their original team. Simply put, the right team matters a lot.

Members online

Latest posts