Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pat Burrell probably retiring just shy of 300 hr & 1,000 rbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Remember the hype Pat Burrell got coming out of college in 1998?
He had a good career, but not nearly what experts predicted.
It's a shame he'll finish 8 homers shy of 300 and 24 rbi shy of 1,000.

From ESPN:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Pat Burrell's baseball career is likely over because of a troublesome right foot that hasn't healed and limited him this year for the Giants.

While Burrell said late in the season that he would contemplate retirement if he couldn't return to full strength, he now says that's probably the direction he is headed this winter.

"I have not decided yet, but I don't think I can play anymore," Burrell said. "It hurts me to say that."

The No. 1 overall draft pick by the Phillies in 1998 out of Miami, Burrell is a career .253 hitter with 292 home runs and 976 RBIs in 1,640 games over 12 seasons with Philadelphia, the Rays and San Francisco. He grew up in the Bay Area in San Jose.

On the last day of the season, a 6-3 loss to Colorado at AT&T Park, Burrell fought tears after running in from left field to a standing ovation before the start of the seventh inning -- manager Bruce Bochy's way of honoring the veteran in what might have been his final game. An emotional Burrell hugged and high-fived his teammates and came back out of the dugout for a curtain call, waving to the fans.

Burrell was placed on the disabled list on July 15 with a mid-right foot strain and didn't play again until Aug. 31, though he was still in pain after missing 43 games.

He remains loyal to the Giants for giving him a second chance.

In 2010, Burrell came to San Francisco on a minor league deal May 29 after his release by the Rays and spent a short stint with Triple-A Fresno before being called up on June 4.

He batted .266 with 18 home runs and 51 RBIs in 96 games for San Francisco, becoming the everyday left fielder.

The Giants went on to clinch the NL West title on the final day of the regular season, ending a six-year postseason drought before making their World Series run.

Burrell, who also won a ring with the Phillies in 2008, struggled in the World Series -- won in five games by the Giants over the Texas Rangers. He went 0 for 13 with 11 strikeouts and was benched for Game 4 at Texas. He had 22 strikeouts in 49 at-bats overall during the 2010 postseason.

He signed for $1 million to return to San Francisco in 2011.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I wish that Pat Burrell didn't have to retire. He probably could have gotten to 300 hrs/1000 rbi with one more season. Have a great retirement, Pat the Bat!

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
The Machine!!

wilsonandthemachine.jpg

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
He'd be well over 400Hr if he didn't spend his whole career in Philly hanging out in after hours bars every night. ::facepalm:: Guy partied throughout his entire career.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Lancemountain said:
He'd be well over 400Hr if he didn't spend his whole career in Philly hanging out in after hours bars every night. ::facepalm:: Guy partied throughout his entire career.

He did that in SF too. haha. Well, what would you do if you were Pat Burrell?

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
lisu said:
Lancemountain said:

He did that in SF too. haha. Well, what would you do if you were Pat Burrell?

Same thing :oops:

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
1 year too late IMO, ...........like many players who lose the ability to make any type of regular contact

"Pat the Bat" lost his "Bat" last year and was more of a Whiff Master than a HR threat.

300 HRs and 1000 RBIs are the common mans stats now a days..... no biggy

Great guy, crappy player last year (understatement).... Im glad the Giants didnt keep him around 1 more year .

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
You'll never find a teammate or ex-teammate that doesn't love Burrell. Truly one of the biggest legends in the game and one of the most popular players among his peers of this generation. I remember playing against him in High School and he had five o clock shadow as a sophomore. He was a man child and while he could've and maybe should've put up better numbers he had a fine career and has two rings to go with very respectable (and hardly pedestrian) numbers. I can see him serving as a bench coach or something to keep him on the road and on the 'circuit'.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Many will probably remember him as the biggest player to come up in 2000.

Baseball-reference.com has him most like:
Jeromy Burnitz (935)
Matt Stairs (928)
Jay Buhner (923)
Danny Tartabull (912)
Troy Glaus (907)
David Justice (905)
Jeff Burroughs (905)
Darryl Strawberry (899)
Tom Brunansky (899)
Bill Nicholson (899)

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
He would literally get girls numbers when in the On Deck circle. :lol:

IMO, it's three years too late, he's been done for awhile...

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
I've got a 1999 Fleer Brilliants Blue parallel. His rookie year. PSA 9. I've been looking to move it for a while. This may be the best time?

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Had a nice career IMO.

Enjoyed watching him and his 162 game average isnt bad!

Regarding the partying, well I cant say I really blame him.

Not everyone strives to be the best player of all time.

I imagine some guys with a lot of talent just prefer to enjoy their time and the perks ($$$, women, fame) that comes with it and I think Burrell is in the category.

Could he have been better?

Yeah, but hes made $70 million and has seemingly had a hell of a good time during his career.

I tip my cap to him!

bowmanchromeandorr

May 23, 2010
Race City USA
JzWand said:
Had a nice career IMO.

Enjoyed watching him and his 162 game average isnt bad!

Regarding the partying, well I cant say I really blame him.

Not everyone strives to be the best player of all time.

I imagine some guys with a lot of talent just prefer to enjoy their time and the perks ($$$, women, fame) that comes with it and I think Burrell is in the category.

Could he have been better?

Yeah, but hes made $70 million and has seemingly had a hell of a good time during his career.

I tip my cap to him!

i agree. he was a good player in his prime. he never tried to be the best. he went out got his stats, then went to the bars and tapped some ass. cant say as i blame him.

Latest posts