Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Papelbon signs with Phillies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Glad he went to the NL. Never a fan of spending big $ on a RP. Has only worked in the past few years on Rivera. Much rather have Bard at arbitration than Papelbon at $30+ million

The guy is nuts. That's not a bad thing. Garnett is nuts too so it can work very well

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
ru9n29.gif

This is our closer.

(sigh)

braden

Aug 7, 2008
A ton of cash for a guy who throws around 65-75 innings in a year but he's pretty damn good. The Phillies' window isn't huge right now so might as well have a star reliever.

Wonder what the hell happened with the Madson deal.

Oh, and cue the Boston media trashing Papelbon now.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
zach said:
I think this is a big move for the Phillies. Sux for Sox.

I don't think you'll find many Sox supporters feeling this way

Then they're pretty foolish.

Papelbon's an elite reliever who had (arguably) his best season last year (aside from game 162). The money's quite big, obviously, but it's not like that's a problem for the Sox. The RP market's fairly deep but Papelbon was definitely #1 or 1A with Bell on that list.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I wanted him back. Other than the last week where he was woefully over worked, he had an amazing season.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
zach said:

I'm a bit disappointed.
I think Papelbon could wind up one of those guys that you don't fully appreciate until he's gone.
It was easy to find fault with him at times, but he was a great closer in a difficult market....I don't think he'll be easy to replace.

The good news - there are a lot of closers and relief men on the market this year, so with the money they didn't spend on Papelbon, they could potentially pick up 2-3 quality guys to hopefully solidify the bullpen. Those decisions will ultimately decide how losing Papelbon is viewed.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
....Pap for the most part did very well with the Sox. Not many can handle the pressure of closing in Boston. You gotta be a little whacked to handle this role. Guess he's "shippin" off to Philly".......not good for the Sox.....

I'll miss him......

papelbonfull-1.jpg

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
braden said:
mredsox89 said:
zach said:

Papelbon's an elite reliever who had (arguably) his best season last year (aside from game 162). The money's quite big, obviously, but it's not like that's a problem for the Sox. The RP market's fairly deep but Papelbon was definitely #1 or 1A with Bell on that list.

I disagree completely on that it's foolish. Would I rather have Papelbon than reliever X, yes. But that $50M will be spent elsewhere where it can help the sox more. RP is the most inconsistent thing in baseball. The only big $ contract for a RP that has had success has been Rivera. Every other big $ deal has had the reliever struggle. If the sox didn't have a guy who had been almost as dominant then clearly I'd be more worried. Bard was flat out dominant for 80% of the year and will cost less than 25% of Papelbon over the life of his deal. To say that $ isn't an issue with the Sox is bull. They've built their team to push the luxury cap #, and are extremely hesitant to go over it. They set their limit at that # and then work towards that. So spending $12M a year for Papelbon would likely mean not spending it elsewhere, and there are bigger concerns in the organization than RP. Will their pen be worse, almost certainly. That $12M/year would be much more beneficial if it signs a guy like Buerlhe or Darvish. Or it would be more beneficial if it lets them sign Ortiz

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Weird turn of events. I wonder if something went really sour between the Phils and Madson.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
braden said:
mredsox89 said:
zach said:

I disagree completely on that it's foolish. Would I rather have Papelbon than reliever X, yes. But that $50M will be spent elsewhere where it can help the sox more. RP is the most inconsistent thing in baseball. The only big $ contract for a RP that has had success has been Rivera. Every other big $ deal has had the reliever struggle. If the sox didn't have a guy who had been almost as dominant then clearly I'd be more worried. Bard was flat out dominant for 80% of the year and will cost less than 25% of Papelbon over the life of his deal. To say that $ isn't an issue with the Sox is bull. They've built their team to push the luxury cap #, and are extremely hesitant to go over it. They set their limit at that # and then work towards that. So spending $12M a year for Papelbon would likely mean not spending it elsewhere, and there are bigger concerns in the organization than RP. Will their pen be worse, almost certainly. That $12M/year would be much more beneficial if it signs a guy like Buerlhe or Darvish. Or it would be more beneficial if it lets them sign Ortiz

We're working on different assumptions. I would personally be fairly surprised if the Sox move forward with Bard as the closer.

Money isn't an issue for the Sox in that $50MM for a closer is far from outlandish. Wasn't Papelbon making roughly $12MM in 2011, anyway? I understand their luxury tax implications, and I agree that until Cherington's full offseason plan comes to fruition you can't evaluate any one deal but again, I'd be stunned if the Sox enter spring training with Bard as the anchor to the bullpen.

Members online