Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Production Photographs from the 1981 Rochester WTF Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Steve Kozel, creator of the 1981 WTF set, has been very gracious to share his recollections with RITM. In November of 2011, Steve came across the actual photographs used to create the legendary minor league set. The photographs were given to Steve from the Rochester Red Wings the day before the cards were scheduled to be printed. The pictures were taken by the local newspaper and were for their files. The pictures were not specifically taken for the 1981 WTF set. On the backs of the photographs you can see a % which is a notation from the printer on how far to reduce the picture to make it the correct size for the cards. The biggest issue with the short time available was figuring out what to do with the card for Silver Stadium and what to do about missing/inaccurate pictures. You will notice from the scans that the Silver Stadium card actually features Ken Boyer. The Steve Luebber card used his image from the 1980 TCMA set. The picture of Don Welchel is actually John Hale. The picture was marked incorrectly by the Red Wings.

RITM thanks Steve for his willingness to share this behind the scenes look at the production of the 1981 WTF cards! To take a look at the image gallery for the photos, please visit the gallery at http://www.ripkenintheminors.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12539055

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Another amazing find! Its great to see that 30 years later you still able to find new information and still be in contact with key people involved.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Fandruw25 said:
Another amazing find! Its great to see that 30 years later you still able to find new information and still be in contact with key people involved.

Thank you so much! I have been very fortunate to have people like Steve willing to share their memories. I heard from Steve a couple of weeks ago when he found the pictures. Obviously I was thrilled to be able to see them and pass them along for others to enjoy. Thanks again!

Members online

Latest posts