Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Leaf Valiant, a study in uncertainty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Often when discussing investment, people are talking about the past, and at times the narrative is presented in a way that makes it seem like an investment which blew up and made the investor a ton of money was extremely obvious even back at the time of investing. (In other words, looking back at the successes it is easy to remember the reasons why it made sense to invest, without remembering the possible negatives.)

With that said, I thought it was worth taking a look at Leaf Valiant, especially for those who are new to prospecting.

As most people here know, Leaf Valiant came out recently and includes autograph cards of many of the top prospects. There are a number of factors that are impacting the prices of the cards including (but not limited to...)

Pros:
General consensus from those who have seen the cards that they look really nice
First release of many top prospects
Low print runs
On-card autographs

Cons:
Leaf does not have an MLB license which means they cannot use team logos
Leaf has had a couple of flops in the prospecting arena in the past
Uncertainty about how the market will respond to the set

These and other factors (including the quantity currently on eBay) have contributed to the value of the Leaf cards at the present moment, and the degree of uncertainty means that for those who think that the cards will eventually gain widespread acceptance, the prices are very low. (In fact if they do gain widespread acceptance, the prices could easily go up significantly, especially for the players who do well.) For those who think that the set will end up being viewed as a shinier "Just" or other second tier set, the prices are way higher than they should be.

The affects of this uncertainty can be considered by comparing the Bowman Chrome. With Chrome it is pretty well understood (barring unusual market conditions) that the players who develop into stars will go up in price and those who do not will drop in price. With Leaf, if the set is successful, the returns on the players who do well should be much greater than with Bowman Chrome and even with the players who do poorly, the loss will be much lower (since the buy-in was lower.) If on the other hand Valiant flops, even the players who do well will not see much return, and those who do not will be close to worthless.

Digging a little deeper we see another layer of uncertainty related to the players how already have cards released (especially those who have had releases in earlier years.) Take a player like Gerrit Cole. He was the #1 pick in the draft so he's obviously a pretty decent prospect, yet his cards have been selling for less than many other players in the set. The reason is pretty obvious: Cole already had prospect autograph cards released in 2010. This means that besides for all the uncertainty related to him as a prospect, and Leaf as a brand, there is also uncertainty about whether a second year release will ever attract much interest. (This is very similar to how it was when Bowman Chrome starting having signed prospect cards of guys who had already had previous releases. Initially there was a lot of uncertainty about whether they would be accepted. In that case they did become accepted and those that bought Chrome Auto's of guys like Prince Fielder made a ton of money. Obviously that is not enough to let us assume the same will happen with Leaf though, as Chrome was successful because of the strength of the brand, and it is not clear whether Leaf will be able to follow in a similar way.)

The beauty of all this is that the uncertainty and questions are right there is front of us, and it is a chance to really consider a market before it is clear which direction it will head. In 6 months or a year from now many people will likely be sitting looking back, and if Valiant is successful those who invested will be telling about how it made so much sense. If alternatively it fails those who assumed it would from the beginning will be sitting saying things like, "I knew it had no chance from the beginning." Right now though, we can take an objective look at the two sides, weigh the options, and consider making an investment that can either pay off handsomely, or end up being a waste of money.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Topnotchsy said:
Often when discussing investment, people are talking about the past, and at times the narrative is presented in a way that makes it seem like an investment which blew up and made the investor a ton of money was extremely obvious even back at the time of investing. (In other words, looking back at the successes it is easy to remember the reasons why it made sense to invest, without remembering the possible negatives.)

With that said, I thought it was worth taking a look at Leaf Valiant, especially for those who are new to prospecting.

As most people here know, Leaf Valiant came out recently and includes autograph cards of many of the top prospects. There are a number of factors that are impacting the prices of the cards including (but not limited to...)

Pros:
General consensus from those who have seen the cards that they look really nice
First release of many top prospects
Low print runs
On-card autographs

Cons:
Leaf does not have an MLB license which means they cannot use team logos
Leaf has had a couple of flops in the prospecting arena in the past
Uncertainty about how the market will respond to the set

These and other factors (including the quantity currently on eBay) have contributed to the value of the Leaf cards at the present moment, and the degree of uncertainty means that for those who think that the cards will eventually gain widespread acceptance, the prices are very low. (In fact if they do gain widespread acceptance, the prices could easily go up significantly, especially for the players who do well.) For those who think that the set will end up being viewed as a shinier "Just" or other second tier set, the prices are way higher than they should be.

The affects of this uncertainty can be considered by comparing the Bowman Chrome. With Chrome it is pretty well understood (barring unusual market conditions) that the players who develop into stars will go up in price and those who do not will drop in price. With Leaf, if the set is successful, the returns on the players who do well should be much greater than with Bowman Chrome and even with the players who do poorly, the loss will be much lower (since the buy-in was lower.) If on the other hand Valiant flops, even the players who do well will not see much return, and those who do not will be close to worthless.

Digging a little deeper we see another layer of uncertainty related to the players how already have cards released (especially those who have had releases in earlier years.) Take a player like Gerrit Cole. He was the #1 pick in the draft so he's obviously a pretty decent prospect, yet his cards have been selling for less than many other players in the set. The reason is pretty obvious: Cole already had prospect autograph cards released in 2010. This means that besides for all the uncertainty related to him as a prospect, and Leaf as a brand, there is also uncertainty about whether a second year release will ever attract much interest. (This is very similar to how it was when Bowman Chrome starting having signed prospect cards of guys who had already had previous releases. Initially there was a lot of uncertainty about whether they would be accepted. In that case they did become accepted and those that bought Chrome Auto's of guys like Prince Fielder made a ton of money. Obviously that is not enough to let us assume the same will happen with Leaf though, as Chrome was successful because of the strength of the brand, and it is not clear whether Leaf will be able to follow in a similar way.)

The beauty of all this is that the uncertainty and questions are right there is front of us, and it is a chance to really consider a market before it is clear which direction it will head. In 6 months or a year from now many people will likely be sitting looking back, and if Valiant is successful those who invested will be telling about how it made so much sense. If alternatively it fails those who assumed it would from the beginning will be sitting saying things like, "I knew it had no chance from the beginning." Right now though, we can take an objective look at the two sides, weigh the options, and consider making an investment that can either pay off handsomely, or end up being a waste of money.

How much of Valiant did you buy ?

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008
It's the uncertainty that makes prospecting fun because it allows us to put our money into what we believe. With the way the secondary prices are already so low on Leaf singles, it's tough for me to believe this will be successful along the lines of Chrome and Elite. However, there are still cards I am buying from the set.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
zookerman182 said:
reminds me of razor

its popular at the moment, but wont hold up in the long run.

I was tempted to buy a box in hopes for an ichiro but that was it.

Personally I feel this has a lot more going for it than Razor, but IMO that's the beauty. If it pans out the returns could be huge, if not the prices will likely fall on all but a player that becomes a true superstar.

19braves77 said:
How much of Valiant did you buy ?

Did my post seem to be biased in one direction? I thought it was a pretty balanced viewpoint.

That said, I have no problem saying. I bought two boxes, largely with the hope of pulling an Ichiro (which I was lucky enough to do.) Since then I've picked up a few cards (3 to be exact) and have offers on a couple more, though I do not see myself getting much more than that. I am intrigued, but not totally sold on whether it will be a success.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
If enough people believe something, it becomes true.

Care to expound? Not sure what you are saying...

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
personally, it's very important that this isn't a one and done from leaf.

if the leaf brand sticks with metal and valiant as two of their cornerstone sets for the upcoming years, as well as how aggressive leaf goes to signing the big name prospects, i don't see why it can work going forward

it's true that the secondary market at this time seems fairly weak on some top names, but right now, there really isn't any baseball news on these prospects as of yet.

I'm going to follow the football leaf metal route. initial secondary market for top names like cam, dalton, green, jones, etc were selling well. then it dipped like crazy if i recall. as soon as football started, they started picking up steam with better names like cam and dalton selling for double/triple it did prior.

i know that football's a different beast but i can see the same results AS LONG AS we see 2012, 13, etc valiant and metal. Let the name be established. tweak the designs each year but making sure that both sets are constant, and both product will work just fine.

i have some valiants incoming, but have yet to see one in hand. only "beef" i have is the color (from the scan, looks the same) between the orange and red.

i had truly wished leaf would use super prismatic fractor ish color on the #1/1s for valiant.

aside from that, although uncertain, yes...it def. has big time potential

hopefully, we can revisit this post in 2 years

dave

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
cgilmo said:
If enough people believe something, it becomes true.

Couldn't agree more even though it sounds *really weak* LOL. But sure, prices are the way they are simply because that's what people (in this case investors) want them to be for reasons that may or not make sense.

Besides, someone with just $5-$10K could probably influence the Valiant market indefinitely. Or perhaps something like these could provide a boost, its worked great in the past:
bowman+redeem+001.jpg

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
daveyou said:
personally, it's very important that this isn't a one and done from leaf.

if the leaf brand sticks with metal and valiant as two of their cornerstone sets for the upcoming years, as well as how aggressive leaf goes to signing the big name prospects, i don't see why it can work going forward

it's true that the secondary market at this time seems fairly weak on some top names, but right now, there really isn't any baseball news on these prospects as of yet.

I'm going to follow the football leaf metal route. initial secondary market for top names like cam, dalton, green, jones, etc were selling well. then it dipped like crazy if i recall. as soon as football started, they started picking up steam with better names like cam and dalton selling for double/triple it did prior.

i know that football's a different beast but i can see the same results AS LONG AS we see 2012, 13, etc valiant and metal. Let the name be established. tweak the designs each year but making sure that both sets are constant, and both product will work just fine.

i have some valiants incoming, but have yet to see one in hand. only "beef" i have is the color (from the scan, looks the same) between the orange and red.

i had truly wished leaf would use super prismatic fractor ish color on the #1/1s for valiant.

aside from that, although uncertain, yes...it def. has big time potential

hopefully, we can revisit this post in 2 years

dave

this

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
With regards to valiant, I really do feel the set will eventually be a sucess.

Once the obstacles it is seeing now are over come (market saturation, off season, lots of under the radar type players), it's going to offer a very attractive and limited on-card auto of some quality prospects/players. And once these players start to get some more cardstock/notariety, these are going to be some of the most desirable out there. Just my gut feeling. At this point I would never advocate busting simply because the odds of htting an ichiro are long, but buying singles right now is a no brainer imo... However, I agree that LEAF needs to continue it's original baseball releases, as well as do more to create brand recognition throughout the hobby, if anything they do is to become mainstream.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
Who gives a shat anymore, give the valiant a rest. Its a decent product with shat resale value, currently. Any prospect does well, the cards go up. Even tristar, leaf, topps, ud, etc.
I like the cards, they're pretty. Im not buying anymore boxes, not even with your money.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
sneekc said:
Who gives a shat anymore, give the valiant a rest. Its a decent product with shat resale value, currently. Any prospect does well, the cards go up. Even tristar, leaf, topps, ud, etc.
I like the cards, they're pretty. Im not buying anymore boxes, not even with your money.

I apologize if I touched a nerve. The post was more about analyzing market uncertainty that the Leaf product itself, and no where in my post did I either bash, or excessively praise the product. As for any card going up when a prospect does well, I could make a list a mile long where this was not the case and even when it is true, generally certain cards of a given player go up far more than others.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
cjb9421 said:
sneekc said:

I agree whith giving it a rest already.

Whys it such a schock that the prices are somewhat low. Its basically leaf metal but better looking. The only way to profit on these cards is to buy singles NOW, don't buy boxes, and sell the singles later on down the road.

End of story.

Did you even read the initial post? Reading it you may have noticed that unlike a large percentage of posts about the product it is not a mindless rant, but rather a well thought out post about the market conditions and factors that will impact the pricing that may actually be of interest and use to some readers.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
cjb9421 said:
Topnotchsy said:
cjb9421 said:
sneekc said:

I agree whith giving it a rest already.

Whys it such a schock that the prices are somewhat low. Its basically leaf metal but better looking. The only way to profit on these cards is to buy singles NOW, don't buy boxes, and sell the singles later on down the road.

End of story.

Did you even read the initial post? Reading it you may have noticed that unlike a large percentage of posts about the product it is not a mindless rant, but rather a well thought out post about the market conditions and factors that will impact the pricing that may actually be of interest and use to some readers.

My input was only directed towards the quoted message, not your initial post.

My apologies. I misunderstood. (Got to stop posting when I am way overtired and a bit too sensitive for an online message boards lol.)

Members online

Latest posts