Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cardinals Hire a New Manager

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
@SI_JonHeyman cardinals announce mike matheny got the managing job. nice call. respected by everyone.

Thoughts?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
miguelcabrera said:
so francona to cubs

@SI_JonHeyman for those who see francona landing w/ #cubs, thats not happening. he should take yr off & come back strong in '13. #tito

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
I'm good with this move. It's never easy to step in behind a legend, and a lot of times you need a stop gap. He may not be the next great Cardinal manager, but I think he will be serviceable. The Cardinals have had a ridiculous run of managers Schoendienst, Herzog, Torre, and La Russa. I don't think anyone available was ready to step into that line.

As for impact on Pujols, I really don't think it changes anything. He's making a decision based on the next 7-9 years and I figure whoever they had named now would only be here for half of that. I also assume his input was sought out in the matter, and was probably discussed with him before they made this announcement.

First task of the off season is complete, now we just need to find out who's on first in 2012.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
schmidtfan20 said:
LOL....great hire.

I think for the time being it IS a great hire.

And for those who are doubting Pujols staying because of this, Matheny and Pujols have a great relationship. Former teammates, and Matheny has been working closely with the organization for the last few years, so it's not like he's going into this blind.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
craiger122003 said:
Pujols wanted Oquendo so with them
choosing someone else, well you do the math

I was under the impression that the Pujols+Oquendo connection was over exaggerated........do you have any links to suggest otherwise?

Personally, I am not sure this selection will affect Albert's decision.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
No I dont have any other info. It was
almost a given to all Cards fans that Oquendo would
slide into the new spot. It will be interesting to see how
this plays out.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
craiger122003 said:
Pujols wanted Oquendo so with them
choosing someone else, well you do the math
I haven't really followed the whole Pujols thing-but isn't the $$ going to be what makes him either stay, or go elsewhere? I find it hard to believe that the manager is a bigger influence than the contract offer. If he doesn't come back to STL because of Oquendo, I guess he won't sign anywhere unless Oquendo goes with him? Just seems a bit crazy to me. Money talks, at the end of the day, IMO.

Members online