Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA's Cubs Top 10 Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Vitters sure has fallen. I'm a bit surprised a certain DSL 3B Cubbies' prospect didn't make this list. Maybe if Ben Badler had written the list instead of Callis, he would have.

TOP TEN
PROSPECTS
1. Brett Jackson, of
2. Javier Baez, ss
3. Matt Szczur, of
4. Trey McNutt, rhp
5. Dillon Maples, rhp
6. Wellington Castillo, c
7. Rafael Dolis, rhp
8. Junior Lake, ss
9. Josh Vitters, 3b/1b
10. Dan Vogelbach, 1b

BEST
TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average D.J. LeMahieu
Best Power Hitter Dan Vogelbach
Best Strike-Zone Discipline Matt Cerda
Fastest Baserunner Matt Szczur
Best Athlete Matt Szczur
Best Fastball Rafael Dolis
Best Curveball Trey McNutt
Best Slider Kevin Rhoderick
Best Changeup Dae-Eun Rhee
Best Control Dallas Beeler
Best Defensive Catcher Welington Castillo
Best Defensive Infielder Elliot Soto
Best Infield Arm Junior Lake
Best Defensive Outfielder Jae-Hoon Ha
Best Outfield Arm Anthony Giansanti

PROJECTED 2015
LINEUP
Catcher Geovany Soto
First Base Dan Vogelbach
Second Base Zeke DeVoss
Third Base Javier Baez
Shortstop Starlin Castro
Left Field Josh Vitters
Center Field Matt Szczur
Right Field Brett Jackson
No. 1 Starter Matt Garza
No. 2 Starter Andrew Cashner
No. 3 Starter Trey McNutt
No. 4 Starter Dillon Maples
No. 5 Starter Dae-Eun Rhee
Closer Carlos Marmol

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Pains me to see Soto, Garza, and Marmol mentioned as possible roster spots, I wish they were all gone next year.

Messier2

Aug 10, 2008
Looks like Jackson is the only Top 10 prospect on ANY team with no TOP tools! Just average across the board!

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Messier2 said:
Looks like Jackson is the only Top 10 prospect on ANY team with no TOP tools! Just average across the board!

Or better.

Michael Stern (Rochester NY): What made Jackson the # 1 over Baez? If Baez has the highest ceiling and Jackson's tools across the board are more around major league average - wouldn't it seem that Baez should be ranked higher? Is it just that he hasn't played, and Jackson has a couple of seasons under his belt?

Jim Callis: Jackson is a potential 20-20 center field with average or better tools across the board, and he's nearly big league ready. He's going to be more than just an average big leaguer. Baez has higher upside but a longer ways to get there. You can argue for either guy. We don't hold lack of pro experience against anyone--our lists are based solely on long-term major league value, factoring in ceiling and likelihood of reaching it.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
goldenegg1 said:
Pains me to see Soto, Garza, and Marmol mentioned as possible roster spots, I wish they were all gone next year.
why?

Garza is the best pitcher on the team, Soto is a more than respectable catcher, and Marmol is still better than many other closers in baseball.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
masonphillip said:
It seems to me like there is quite a bit of a drop-off between #2 and #3.
Szczur at #3 is probably a top 100 prospect, maybe top 75. Baez, I'm not sure, but I can't see him much higher than 40-50. So there really isn't much of a drop-off there. Szczur is a guy that many people really like.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
ChasHawk said:
goldenegg1 said:
why?

Garza is the best pitcher on the team, Soto is a more than respectable catcher, and Marmol is still better than many other closers in baseball.

Yeah, I didn't understand the rationale on Garza either.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
No love for Candelario? The Cubs prospect list isn't great, but at least they are moving in the right direction. Within the next few years, they should build a solid farm.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
ChasHawk said:
goldenegg1 said:
why?

Yeah, I didn't understand the rationale on Garza either.

Just because you are the best pitcher on the team isn't saying much, when they all suck.
He went 10-10 last year with a 3.32 ERA, far from being good. Soto, great rookie year, been disappointing since.
Marmol, really? It is kind of sad when he comes in with a 2 run lead and you know there is a good chance he will mess it up.
Don't confuse me with a Cub hater, I am just a very disgruntled Cub fan who thinks everyone can go except for Castro.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
I know he's injured but how can Rob Whitenacks curveball not be the best in the system?