Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Since we have not discussed Valiant enough....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I was thinking about how LEAF has comitted, at least verbally, to continuing it's Baseball Draft products for the forseeable future, and was just brainstorming a bit....

I think he should stick with the 2 seperate sets, one calles LEAF Draft Metal that could continue with the Metal framework going forward, but with Valiant, I think he should use another historicly accepted/appreciated design, like maybe the 1990 LEAF design with a refractor like finish, designed to accomidate a auto, ect... Point being, I would like to see the Valiant brand become a staple Baseball Draft set with a steady 'low' print run, all on card autos, and designed after the more popular releases in LEAF's baseball card history.

I think this could be LEAF Valiants nitch....

What say you?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
A 1990 Leaf-style set with either a refractor or dufex finish added would look great, IMO.

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Jaypers said:
A 1990 Leaf-style set with either a refractor or dufex finish added would look great, IMO.

People would just complain it looks to much like 1990 Leaf . . . although I agree it would be a nice look.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
I would like to see some more Dufex cards that have autos. Refractors are nice, but they are in everything these days. If you are going to bring back something "retro" then Dufex would be nice to see. Maybe even some embossed cards.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
When I think of prospects, I think modern, new. Resurrecting old designs, no matter how classic, for prospect laden products to me is a bad idea.

Create a design legacy, create a brand. Don't recreate some else's past successes.

The printing technology, coupled with some solid creative should create a true "voice" for Leaf in this industry.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
clarkfan said:
Jaypers said:

People would just complain it looks to much like 1990 Leaf . . . although I agree it would be a nice look.

This is exactly the reason I think they should do it though, if the yearly release is known for being based off of past popular releases, it should negate most the "this looks too much like...." or "this is not original...." chatter. Although both statments would be correct, it would also be the basis of the release and thus perhaps become more accepted as a legitimately "original" concept for a Auto/Draft set.

And although I know some will think it a bad idea, I really believe it will distinguish it'self by breaking the 'traditional' mold.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
jumbojohnny said:
I would like to see some more Dufex cards that have autos. Refractors are nice, but they are in everything these days. If you are going to bring back something "retro" then Dufex would be nice to see. Maybe even some embossed cards.

Yeah, duffex would be cool! :cool:

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Jaypers said:
$(KGrHqIOKkYE6idoRw7iBOu)4u3ovg~~60_3.JPG

With the diagonal border on the left, clean finish, and the name on the bottom, Leaf Metal Draft does look similar to 1990 Leaf. Both are very nice, asthetically pleasing sets.

$(KGrHqYOKjoE6VEbSsbFBOw0vC73cQ~~60_12.JPG

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
200lbhockeyplayer said:
When I think of prospects, I think modern, new. Resurrecting old designs, no matter how classic, for prospect laden products to me is a bad idea.

Create a design legacy, create a brand. Don't recreate some else's past successes.

The printing technology, coupled with some solid creative should create a true "voice" for Leaf in this industry.

For you then my good man, you would have Metal!

And in my opinion recreating atop of past sucesses with a modern spin is in and of it'self creative.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Bob Loblaw said:
Jaypers said:
$(KGrHqIOKkYE6idoRw7iBOu)4u3ovg~~60_3.JPG

With the diagonal border on the left, clean finish, and the name on the bottom, Leaf Metal Draft does look similar to 1990 Leaf. Both are very nice, asthetically pleasing sets.

$(KGrHqYOKjoE6VEbSsbFBOw0vC73cQ~~60_12.JPG

Never actually noticed, but your right, there is similarities!

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
matfanofold said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

And in my opinion recreating atop of past sucesses with a modern spin is in and of it'self creative.
For me, I really don't care too much about Chrome/Metal or whatever the formerly patented printing is called. I've seen it. We've all seen it, and frankly, the only ones that ever look great are the refractors. Base Chrome/Metal has looked weak and almost empty for the past 5 years.

There are so many great ways to use glosses, finishes, embossing, etc. in a subtle, clean and modern way.

I haven't seen a "chrome" card that really looked "modern" in 10 years.

But, it's being a slave to the technology that collectors seem to request. Chrome this, and Chrome that...totally boring to me. To each their own.

Push the envelope to find the company "soul."

That's all.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
matfanofold said:
I was thinking about how LEAF has comitted, at least verbally, to continuing it's Baseball Draft products for the forseeable future, and was just brainstorming a bit....

I think he should stick with the 2 seperate sets, one calles LEAF Draft Metal that could continue with the Metal framework going forward, but with Valiant, I think he should use another historicly accepted/appreciated design, like maybe the 1990 LEAF design with a refractor like finish, designed to accomidate a auto, ect... Point being, I would like to see the Valiant brand become a staple Baseball Draft set with a steady 'low' print run, all on card autos, and designed after the more popular releases in LEAF's baseball card history.

I think this could be LEAF Valiants nitch....

What say you?

I said this in the eight page said about Valiant.....

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
matfanofold said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:

For me, I really don't care too much about Chrome/Metal or whatever the formerly patented printing is called. I've seen it. We've all seen it, and frankly, the only ones that ever look great are the refractors. Base Chrome/Metal has looked weak and almost empty for the past 5 years.

There are so many great ways to use glosses, finishes, embossing, etc. in a subtle, clean and modern way.

I haven't seen a "chrome" card that really looked "modern" in 10 years.

But, it's being a slave to the technology that collectors seem to request. Chrome this, and Chrome that...totally boring to me. To each their own.

Push the envelope to find the company "soul."

That's all.

Having the Valiant line become the "Heritage" of LEAF would be cool. That would be a great way to make use of all the designs BG has access to. One line, with a set per year of past designs, with some twist.

But, as bolded, there still needs to be a set/sets that New LEAF has that are all their own.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
RZimm11 said:
Having the Valiant line become the "Heritage" of LEAF would be cool. That would be a great way to make use of all the designs BG has access to. One line, with a set per year of past designs, with some twist.

But, as bolded, there still needs to be a set/sets that New LEAF has that are all their own.
It's called "Valiant" for eff's sake, anyone know the definition of valiant? And once everyone understands that definition, does anyone reasonable actually think that name applies to retread designs? With this concept, and it seems like people want it, perhaps Leaf Resurrection is a better brand name.

Seriously.

Leaf has a huge opportunity to make a difference, make a splash, but riding the coattails of the technology and designs of other companies isn't really seizing that opportunity.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
200lbhockeyplayer said:
RZimm11 said:

It's called "Valiant" for eff's sake, anyone know the definition of valiant? And once everyone understands that definition, does anyone reasonable actually think that name applies to retread designs? With this concept, and it seems like people want it, perhaps Leaf Resurrection is a better brand name.

Seriously.

Leaf has a huge opportunity to make a difference, make a splash, but riding the coattails of the technology and designs of other companies isn't really seizing that opportunity.

They could call the "retro" line whatever they wanted. I was only using the Valiant name because, for continuity sake, they already started it with that set.

For example, 2011 Valiant mimics Crusades, 2012 Leaf XXXX mimics 1990 Leaf, 2013 Leaf YYYY mimics 1948 Leaf, etc. would be a big mess.

Keep the name the same each year and do a retro set. Don't care what it's called.

Members online

Latest posts