Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

M's to give Hultzen a shot at rotation spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Bob Loblaw said:
Jaypers said:
Very impulsive and gutsy thing to do.

How gutsy is it to give a kid a ball a few times in spring training and see how he does?

It's one thing to invite him to ST, it's another to openly declare he's got a legit shot at breaking camp without any pro experience.

ljw29

Feb 3, 2010
The talent that he showed at Virginia for three years and in the Fall League seems a great decision by the Mariners, and definitely during interleague he is not going to be a weak spot in the lineup

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Jaypers said:
Bob Loblaw said:
Jaypers said:
Very impulsive and gutsy thing to do.

How gutsy is it to give a kid a ball a few times in spring training and see how he does?

It's one thing to invite him to ST, it's another to openly declare he's got a legit shot at breaking camp without any pro experience.

I don't think its a surprise at all. Everyone in the M's blogosphere as expected him to make the rotation from the day he signed, it's almost been expected that he'll be in the rotation.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I am not surprised that they are given Hultzen his shot, what I am surprised about is that they haven't publicly said anything about James Paxton. I think he is just as deserving as Danny is, maybe even a little more.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
How many innings do they plan to throw him this year? I'm not a huge believer in hard pitch counts, but I do think they should keep him from having too many stressful innings.

oriolesprospects

Aug 4, 2010
He's probably ready but it's obviously always best to slowly move along your pitching prospects.

Even Strasburg was in the minors, so I see no reason why Hultzen shouldn't be.

MarinerswinWS

Oct 18, 2010
Tacoma, WA
I think it's gonna be a great move, but it might be a little risky with him having no minor league experience.

I found a nice quote from Adam Moore who was catching Hultzen in the AFL...

"Uh, yeah. It is not a secret with [Danny] Hultzen," he said. "That guys is good. Not only with talent and stuff, he understands what he wants to do out there. His fastball and changeup command are ridiculous. His slider is real good, too. He is the real deal."

Members online

Latest posts