Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1 card mailday with story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
I was 10 years old and less than 25 games into the season the Blue Jays traded away my favorite player, Jesse Barfield (damn you Al Leiter), to the Yankees.
I needed to find a new player to follow that I could watch somewhat often even though I was in Toronto.

I remember going to the LCS a good while after the trade and they had packs of 1983 Topps for sale!
I don't remember the cost but out of those 3 packs I pulled a Ryne Sandberg RC that I though was a really cool looking card.

Low and behold WGN was one of the few US stations I got that actually showed a decent amount of games (wanna say maybe 2-3 a week at the time) and I now had a favorite player.

I wore # 23 on my teams (baseball and hockey), wrote 23 on my glove (even though I played 3rd), collected his cards going forward, and always wanted his autograph on the Topps RC I pulled.
My favorite card outside of the RC was the 1991 Topps with the horizontal pic that had the 40 HRs bolded on the back as league leader.

Anyways, I have never been able to get the RC autographed, but when I found this for sale I figured it was the next best thing:

Sandberg2.jpg

They dont come up for sale often but when they do they dont come cheap. Actually comes in at the 4th most expensive card I have purchased.

Anyways I was pretty stoked when I received it yesterday and it is now my favorite card within my collection!

Thanks for reading.

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
Thanks and yes the auto is even nicer in person.

james I also have the santo archives auto you have in your sig.
Love the archives autos.

As a side note I still hate Al Leiter to this day!

I hate everything about him.
His blisters
The fact he won only 26 games over 6 years before leaving as a FA.
That he won not only a WS with the Jays, but as well with Florida.
That he was a way better pitcher for Florida and NY than he ever was for the Jays.
And that I still have to see him do commentary!

Members online