Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Heard a neat trade rumour today - 1993 Blue Jays

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I was listening to Toronto's FAN590 on my drive home today and McCown had Toronto Sun writer Mike Zeisberger on. They were talking baseball, free agency, trading, etc, and Zeisberger shared a trade that almost happened at the deadline in 1993.

Apparently the Jays almost landed Randy Johnson from the Mariners, but Seattle wouldn't bite. When it seemed like Johnson wasn't attainable, Beeston turned his attention to offense and worked out the Ricky Henderson deal with Oakland. The A's presented the deal to Ricky for his approval. In the meantime the Mariners came back to the Jays and were willing to trade Johnson. Beeston reportedly turned down Seattle beause they had already made a committment to the A's. If Ricky had vetoed the trade, Johnson would have been a Blue Jay for their World Series run.

This was almost 20 years ago, but it's still neat to think "what if", in particular what Toronto would have had to give up and how Seattle's subsequent teams might have been different with all the prospects Toronto likely would have sent them.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, that one's been circulating for quite some time. Apparently all that was going to Seattle was Steve Karsay (who was all that went for Henderson). Johnson obviously would've been around longer but hey, Rickey took the walk that led to Carter's HR....

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Great story. I love hearing stories from this. I've heard a few from GM's like John Hart on MLB network. Cant for the life of me remember any right now, but thanks for sharing!

JzWand

Jun 8, 2009
Burlington Ontario Canada
I like hearing this stuff as well.

Even though the Jays didnt get Johnson, we were still able to fleece Seattle a few years later in the Jose Cruz trade.

Another one involving Toronto is way back in the day Pat Gillick offered Omar Linares, the Cuban 3B a contract to only play in home games.

From everything I have heard and read the Cuban Baseball Federation was very open to working with Toronto but Linares didnt want to leave his home or his home team.

Members online

Latest posts