Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pitching Prospects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emarc27

Oct 6, 2010
NYC-->St. Louis
This year's BDPP and it's myriad of strong pitching prospects got me thinking about how the card community sees young pitchers as investments. It seems to me that collectors spends less $$ on pitchers than on hitters of the same caliber. I've heard some people say that there's no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Is this whole idea just something I made up in my head, or do people not like investing in pitchers? If so, then why? I'm sure injuries might be a reason.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
What I like about pitching prospects is also what I hate about them. They string together 3 quality games and they are RED hot, but it's over 10 days or more of good selling. Conversely, 10 days to a hitter can be feast or famine or, while technically a decent week, isn't eye popping when the numbers are spread over those 10 days.

Now, the danger of a pitching prospect is that 1 or 2 bad starts are harder to erase over those same 10 days.

jdsingar

Feb 10, 2011
I think the big reason why collector's invest less in pitchers is the higher likelihood of injuries. There was some research done on BA's Top 100 lists comparing how many pitchers ending up being successful to hitters and the percentage of successful pitchers was substantially lower.

Ian Stewart

Aug 7, 2008
Bob Loblaw said:
Apparently, you've never heard of TINSTAAPP........

emarc27 said:
This year's BDPP and it's myriad of strong pitching prospects got me thinking about how the card community sees young pitchers as investments. It seems to me that collectors spends less $$ on pitchers than on hitters of the same caliber. I've heard some people say that there's no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Is this whole idea just something I made up in my head, or do people not like investing in pitchers? If so, then why? I'm sure injuries might be a reason.

Strong reading comprehension.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Ian Stewart said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":1rold1c9]Apparently, you've never heard of TINSTAAPP........

emarc27 said:

Strong reading comprehension.[/quote:1rold1c9]

The acronym, wise guy.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
Ian Stewart said:
[quote="Bob Loblaw":q2nskz8x]Apparently, you've never heard of TINSTAAPP........

emarc27 said:

Strong reading comprehension.[/quote:q2nskz8x]

The acronym, wise guy.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Acronym or not, it's about the stupidest theory I have ever heard.

Personally, I think people avoid pitching prospects because they are more difficult to understand, measure, and analyze.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
sheetskout said:
Acronym or not, it's about the stupidest theory I have ever heard.

Personally, I think people avoid pitching prospects because they are more difficult to understand, measure, and analyze.

I don't know about the latter, but I agree with the former.

I made quite a bit -- at least a grand -- on Cole Hamels 2002 draft stuff 6-8 years ago...

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
jdsingar said:
I think the big reason why collector's invest less in pitchers is the higher likelihood of injuries. There was some research done on BA's Top 100 lists comparing how many pitchers ending up being successful to hitters and the percentage of successful pitchers was substantially lower.

Considering that teams can host 8 potential super stars hitting, while maybe 2-3 potential superstars pitching, there is nothing revelatory about that research. If there are 100 players, there are bound to be more hitters, by far, on the list at any one time, than pitchers, so a greater percentage of success will be hitters.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
hive17 said:
Considering that teams can host 8 potential super stars hitting, while maybe 2-3 potential superstars pitching, there is nothing revelatory about that research. If there are 100 players, there are bound to be more hitters, by far, on the list at any one time, than pitchers, so a greater QUANTITY of success will be hitters.

Corrected

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
sheetskout said:
Just curious, why do you say this?

IMO pitchers seem as easy to measure and analyze as hitters. You have your major stats(WHIP, K/BB ratio, ERA) and then you have things like velocity, the age they are, the league they play in, etc. Much the same for hitters I would say.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
hail2thevictors said:
sheetskout said:
Just curious, why do you say this?

IMO pitchers seem as easy to measure and analyze as hitters. You have your major stats(WHIP, K/BB ratio, ERA) and then you have things like velocity, the age they are, the league they play in, etc. Much the same for hitters I would say.

You also have tommy-john surgery, bullpen rumors, innings limitations, run-support, and a whole bunch of other circumstances that hitters don't have to deal with.

I could add about twenty other things to that list if I thought about it for a while. (It's not all about statistics)

Don't get me wrong though. Some of the largest margins I have made have been on pitchers. I am not explaining my own personal point-of-view.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
The problem as i see it, is two fold.

1. Traditional Pitching Stats are not always representative of true talent: I wont get too deep on this, but everyone knows that Wins say alot more about your team and not just the pitcher (Ian Kennedy vs Matt Cain).

2. Batters have counting stats which accumulate (homers, rbi, runs, sb), whereas pitchers are measure by 'average-based' stats which can be skewed or even RUINED by a bad day, or a bad moment.

It's amazing how bad luck, bad teammates, or even a few statistical outliers can mask how much value some pitchers have.

Golfers are measured by the average of the best 5 of their last 10 rounds.

If pitchers were measured this way, i think we'd more clearly see who has value and who is mediocre.

Perhaps 8 or 9 of 10 would be sufficient, so as to not obscure the greatness of a Halladay who truly is great 9 out of 10 times.

My point being, if someone is lights out for 7 games out of ten, but TERRIBLE in 3 games, isnt that more valuable than someone who is mediocre in 7 games and then slightly bad in their worst 3 games?

Those two pitchers may have similar ERA and WHIP numbers because averages balance everything out. But wouldnt you want the guy who gives you a real chance to win 7 times out of 10?

Case in point. Ubaldo Jimenez goes 10-1 in the first half of 2010 with something like a 0.79 ERA (7 runs in 80 innings) He then gives up 8 runs in his next 4 innings.

So his ERA is now 1.60.

He then gives up 7 runs in his next 3 innings.

His ERA is now 2.33.

So was Ubaldo now a guy who gives up 2 or 3 runs a game all season? Or was he an unbeatbable win machine for 11 games who then had 2 bad games?

Junior Griffey

Aug 12, 2008
Ottawa IL
You've gotta find a good strikeout pitcher. People love a dominating pitcher just like they love the longball. I made more money off of Jonathan Sanchez than I've ever made off of a hitter. But I also heavily invested in Pedro Beato. Woops.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Junior Griffey said:
You've gotta find a good strikeout pitcher. True Fans love a dominating pitcher just like they love the longball. I made more money off of Jonathan Sanchez than I've ever made off of a hitter. But I also heavily invested in Pedro Beato. Woops.

Fixed.

emarc27

Oct 6, 2010
NYC-->St. Louis
Mudcatsfan said:
The problem as i see it, is two fold.

1. Traditional Pitching Stats are not always representative of true talent: I wont get too deep on this, but everyone knows that Wins say alot more about your team and not just the pitcher (Ian Kennedy vs Matt Cain).

2. Batters have counting stats which accumulate (homers, rbi, runs, sb), whereas pitchers are measure by 'average-based' stats which can be skewed or even RUINED by a bad day, or a bad moment.

It's amazing how bad luck, bad teammates, or even a few statistical outliers can mask how much value some pitchers have.

Golfers are measured by the average of the best 5 of their last 10 rounds.

If pitchers were measured this way, i think we'd more clearly see who has value and who is mediocre.

Perhaps 8 or 9 of 10 would be sufficient, so as to not obscure the greatness of a Halladay who truly is great 9 out of 10 times.

My point being, if someone is lights out for 7 games out of ten, but TERRIBLE in 3 games, isnt that more valuable than someone who is mediocre in 7 games and then slightly bad in their worst 3 games?

Those two pitchers may have similar ERA and WHIP numbers because averages balance everything out. But wouldnt you want the guy who gives you a real chance to win 7 times out of 10?

Case in point. Ubaldo Jimenez goes 10-1 in the first half of 2010 with something like a 0.79 ERA (7 runs in 80 innings) He then gives up 8 runs in his next 4 innings.

So his ERA is now 1.60.

He then gives up 7 runs in his next 3 innings.

His ERA is now 2.33.

So was Ubaldo now a guy who gives up 2 or 3 runs a game all season? Or was he an unbeatbable win machine for 11 games who then had 2 bad games?

This was really insightful. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
Right after 2010 Bowman came out, it would be hard to argue that pitchers couldn't sell as well and aren't worth prospecting after seeing what Strasburg's stuff was going for. Granted, most pitchers don't receive that type of hype, but all guys like Matt Moore have to do is make a huge debut... and the rest is history.

Members online

Latest posts