Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you consider these wire protos? The REST of the Angels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cookie

May 6, 2011
San Antonio
I got these from the Los angeles Times OC edition back in 1998. These are the original pictures used by the paper for publicaion. The have editor marks and the full write ups. I had them signed By Erstad a few years ago.
Also notice the last 2 photos are the swing of a HR and the rounding 3rd of the same HR.

I guess the vintage version would be wire photos, but what are these and do they have value?

aaa1034.jpg

aaa1035.jpg

aaa1036.jpg

aaa1037.jpg

aaa1038.jpg

jdk16

Mar 29, 2011
Re: What Would These Be Called And what Would They Be Worth?

seeing as they dont have a coa id say not much maybe 5-10 bucks a piece

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL

I'd call them Press Photos, or Press Photo File Copies.

They're photos the newspaper's photographers took and were used for publication. The photo editor added the grease pencil crop marks to designate the area of the photo to fit the newspaper space, then sent it to the paste up department (later digital layout). The crop marks can be wiped off pretty easily if you want a nice display photo, or left on if you want them for historical accuracy. It's nice to go to a library and find the original papers they were published in and print out a copy of how they were used, then tape it to the back of the photo (many press photos from newspaper file copies have this already done). Looks like this paper had an excellent filing system with the form that borders the photo.

Here's an old Hack Wilson Press Photo from my collection.

hack1929-1.png

hack1929-2.png

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI

I agree, "Press Photos" or maybe "Modern Wire Photos"

with the croppings each one will be unique
very cool stuff, far more desirable than a plain old photo IMO

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois

While yours are obviously much more modern, they are still very cool imho.

One of my favorite parts of my collection... :)

cookie

May 6, 2011
San Antonio
here is the balance of the collection. there are 31 photos all from the 2008 season and spring. some players include Cecil Fielder, Tim Salmon, and Roger McDowell... none of these are signed

untitled-3.jpg

cookie

May 6, 2011
San Antonio
i just listed these on eBay. while going through the group of 31 unsigned i found an interesting one. It is from 4/2/98. it is a photo of Derek Jeter stealing his first base of the season. I included it with the group lot, do you think i should have listed it alone?

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
cookie said:
i just listed these on eBay. while going through the group of 31 unsigned i found an interesting one. It is from 4/2/98. it is a photo of Derek Jeter stealing his first base of the season. I included it with the group lot, do you think i should have listed it alone?

Yup

cookie

May 6, 2011
San Antonio
TBTwinsFan said:
cookie said:

Yup

i think i agree, i took out the jeter from the lot

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have a few press photos that I've purchased from various sources, but mostly from the Chicago Tribune, as they were Frank's "hometown" paper.

True Press Photo Collection released by Auburn University in 1987:

Used in May of 1988, a full year before being draft...haven't figured it out yet:

Used to announce the CWS 1st Round Draft Pick:

An image from the Thomas family collection:

I own a few others, as well as a few wire photos from various seasons.

Members online

Latest posts