Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rays' C John Jaso Traded to the Mariners For RP Josh Lueke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Rays trade C Jaso to Seattle for reliever Lueke
The Rays traded C John Jaso to Seattle on Sunday for RH reliever Josh Lueke and either a player to be named or cash.

Jaso, 28, had a poor 2011 season, hitting .224 with 5 HRs, 27 RBIs and a .652 OPS, and threw out only 8 of 58 basestealers, for a 12.8 percent rate that was second worst of all qualifying catchers.

With the decision to not pick up Kelly Shoppach's option and now the trade of Jaso, the Rays will have a different look behind the plate. The signing of veteran free agent Jose Molina is expected to be official as soon as Monday, and the in-house leaders to share the position are now Jose Lobaton and Robinson Chirinos.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
Jaso might be the worst receiver in MLB. He struggles to catch the ball, let alone block balls or throw out runners. When he was hitting, it was okay, but he struggled to hit last year as well. I'd say Lobaton has the advantage because he will be able to hit from the left side in a platoon with Jose Molina, but I have a nice Chirinos stash that stands to gain a lot in value if he's able to get some significant time with the Rays next season.

Wasn't Lueke convicted of sexual assault before he was traded to Seattle? I seem to remember the Seattle fans raising a stink when he was acquired a couple of summers ago.

SeattleSports

Jun 11, 2010
Joshua.Roundtree said:
Jaso might be the worst receiver in MLB. He struggles to catch the ball, let alone block balls or throw out runners. When he was hitting, it was okay, but he struggled to hit last year as well. I'd say Lobaton has the advantage because he will be able to hit from the left side in a platoon with Jose Molina, but I have a nice Chirinos stash that stands to gain a lot in value if he's able to get some significant time with the Rays next season.

Wasn't Lueke convicted of sexual assault before he was traded to Seattle? I seem to remember the Seattle fans raising a stink when he was acquired a couple of summers ago.

As posted by Keith Law, the M's made this trade because...........

AfTGP7iCMAAEbXq.png:large

Members online