Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Tonight on MLB Network.... Stanton #1 < 25 yrs old

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
They have a show the Top 25 under 25 yrs old. 9 eastern time. I'm gonna take a peek at it. Just thought I'd pass along a heads up. Complete list is below.

~AJ

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Re: Tonight on MLB Network....

Alright so the pitching might have been off a bit, but for Justin Upton to get beaten by Eric Hosmer is a damn joke. I turned it after that. Who's doing the talent evaluation there, Walt Disney? Whatever ....

~AJ

jeff550

May 5, 2009
burke

Hosmer over Upton was just stupid

The host is also terrible. no emotion what so ever

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL

Just flipped back and final 4 is: Felix vs Kershaw and Hosmer vs Stanton. They claim the take previous production and future projections yet Upton got beat by a rookie. Sure

~AJ

Stanton beat Hernandez. Joke. IMO Jupton is best in the game under 25. Sorry MLB Network, but fail.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
chromerookies said:
yeah I couldn't watch, I don't understand everyone's hornyness for Stanton, he just a younger Mark Reynolds. But Justin Upton I def. like

Mike Stanton is going to be a perennial all-star, and will probably hit 40-55 homeruns this upcoming season in their new park as long as he plays 150+ games. Mark Reynolds bats .180 and strikes out 240 times per season. Stanton is already 10 times the player Reynolds is, and will probably continue to get better over the next few years heading into his prime.

Nikobaseball

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
chromerookies said:
yeah I couldn't watch, I don't understand everyone's hornyness for Stanton, he just a younger Mark Reynolds. But Justin Upton I def. like

Mike Stanton is going to be a perennial all-star, and will probably hit 40-55 homeruns this upcoming season in their new park as long as he plays 150+ games. Mark Reynolds bats .180 and strikes out 240 times per season. Stanton is already 10 times the player Reynolds is, and will probably continue to get better over the next few years heading into his prime.

^ This. I don't see how Stanton has done anything to warrant the comparison.

StantonBaseXBlue.jpg

StantonElites.jpg

Sincerely,
an impartial fan.

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
Nikobaseball said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
chromerookies said:

^ This. I don't see how Stanton has done anything to warrant the comparison.

StantonBaseXBlue.jpg

StantonElites.jpg

Sincerely,
an impartial fan.

Agreed, A Stanton, Reynolds comparison is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
chromerookies said:

So i get that Stanton hits HRs, and he K's alot, so that's probably why you said Reynolds.

However.

Stanton walked 70 times against 166 K's in 2011. Reynolds has a career average of 76 against 217. So as a rookie Stanton is already showing better patience than Reynolds has over a 5 year career. Reynolds' career OPS is .815, Stanton just put up an .893.

Here are his most similar players through age 21 per Baseball Reference (statistically similar)

Similar Batters through 21
View Similar Player Links in Pop-up
Compare Stats to Similars
Ruben Sierra (950)
Miguel Cabrera (947)
Justin Upton (946)
Andruw Jones (938)
Juan Gonzalez (935)
Jason Heyward (924)
Jose Canseco (922)
Dick Kokos (922)
Boog Powell (921)
Bob Horner (918)

Some pretty good names in there, also some that were AMAZING in their age 21 season and tapered off. We'll see which type Stanton ends up being.

Another note not taken into account below is that Stanton is an OUTSTANDING OF'r. He was 3rd in the NL in assists in 2010 and he only played 100 games. He's not even ON the leaderboard in 2011 which means people have completely stopped running on him. He also covers a TON of ground. Stanton was 2nd in 2010 and 3rd in 2011 in Range Factor and FIRST in Total Zone Runs as an OF in 2011. Not sure many people realize what a GREAT OF he is.

All that being said, i think Stanton is ALREADY a better hitter than Reynolds, when you take defense into account he's a MUCH better Player, AND he's still getting better.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
Here's the list.

Pitchers:
Moore
Hellickson
Bumgarner
Feliz
Pineda
Hernandez
Kimbrel
Strasburg
Kershaw
Hudson
Nova
Hanson
Latos

Hitters:
Butler
Bruce
Stanton
Castro
Posey
Wieters
McCutchen
Upton
Hosmer
Sandoval
Jennings
Andrus

There's the list

~AJ

ebechols

Jan 20, 2011
Montgomery, AL
I was impressed that Matt Moore made the list, considering he hasn't even completed his rookie year. He really has a lot to live up to next season.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
How many starting players are younger than 25? It seems this list comprises a good percentage of them, I'm not so sure how special it really is to be on this list (?).

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
uniquebaseballcards said:
How many starting players are younger than 25? It seems this list comprises a good percentage of them, I'm not so sure how special it really is to be on this list (?).

Theres more than you think. Who knows. Guys like Trout, Heyward, LoMo & Lawrie left off the list yet more playing time than Moore. I see them as potentially better than Sandoval and Butler. Especially if your going off predictions with including Moore.

~AJ

JustinVerlander35

Nov 1, 2011
Detroit
ebechols said:
I was impressed that Matt Moore made the list, considering he hasn't even completed his rookie year. He really has a lot to live up to next season.

Nothing against Matt Moore, I really like the kid and I thought he was a stud in the minors. But, like you said, his hasn't seen much playing time. Only 19.1 MLB innings to be exact. I thought they could of waited till he has played a full year before ranking him that on the list.

I think he is going to be a beast! I wrote a blog on him in July about how good he is.

Members online