Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Resuming an old set, 2000 HoloGRFX Piece of the Series Autos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
When I got into the hobby back in 2003, there was one set I really wanted to build, the 2000 UD Hologrfx A Piece of the Series Autographs. I have been looking for these for nearly a decade, but the only ones I've been able to land are the two Paul O'Neills. I have always wanted to find the other three Yankees, the Jeter, Tino, and Clemens to complete the team set, but haven't been dedicated towards getting them. Lately, I have been focusing on finding higher-end items for my collection and these three cards are at the top of my list. One of my main goals for 2012 is to resume this set and land one of these autos for the collection. I would really appreciate any heads up if someone spots these at their local shops or shows.

This set was one of the first set to feature actual game-used memorabilia from the World Series. I have completed the regular game-used card set for a few years now. Those were seeded 1:431 packs (nearly one per case) and also quite challenging to find. Here is a link to the entire set, http://oneill21.webs.com/hologrfx.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

However, the checklist for the autograph set was a bit wonky. There are two variations for Tino and O'Neill autographs, one numbered to /25 and the other numbered to their jersey numbers (/24, and /21). Besides the numbering, the two auto cards are identical. A really nice feature about this set is that the regular game-used card and the autographed version has a different photograph. If anyone has these, please post your scans, I would love to see them.

All three O'Neills:
pon2000h.jpg
pon2000h2.jpg
ps11.jpg

I have no intention of pursuing the Braves half of the autograph set but it also features some big signers, guys like Chipper, Maddux, and Glavine. I am sure Braves fans can attest to how difficult they are to find.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
One of my favorite sets all time as well. I have had this pic saved on my computer for a long time. I missed the auction on Ebay and wish I could remember what it sold for but heres a scan

JeterAuto.jpg

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
Does anyone have a scan of the back of these cards? I was wondering if the language on the back indicated that the card contained an autograph or whether UD used boilerplate language for both the regular game used base and autographed versions.

Thanks.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
HoloGRFX was one of my favorite sets. I remember wanting to hit one of those out of retail (I never did, but had fun regardless). One night the local grocery store that carried cards had a pricing error ($1.50 a pack - they let us have them at that price).

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
A member on Beckett has the Roger Clemens marked as being for trade. He hasn't logged on since mid-October but if you send him a trade offer it will typically send him an email notifying him of the offer and get him to look. See the "C2C Trade" section on the bottom right and he's listed there. You'll have to open a Beckett account if you don't have one already

http://www.beckett.com/baseball/200...eries-autographs/psa3-roger-clemens25-4375717

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
heavy_hitter said:
Does anyone have a scan of the back of these cards? I was wondering if the language on the back indicated that the card contained an autograph or whether UD used boilerplate language for both the regular game used base and autographed versions.

Thanks.

I dont have a scan of the back but the pictures on the autographed version of all the cards are different than the non-auto version.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
exigussrex - As fancy as today's game-used cards have gotten, they don't feature unique memoribila like this. I'd take these over a patch any day.

MallCopKJ - Thanks for posting the Jeter. I had the Jeter and Tino scans saved at one point but can't seem to locate them. I don't remember the price either.

Fandruw25 - Cool card! Glad you have one already in your collection. Who would have ever guessed he would be a Yankee down the road?

heavy_hitter - Here is the back of the regular card, the wording is straightforward unlike the vague wording of today's sets. Don't have the back of the auto scanned.

ps13.jpg

ffgameman - I didn't collect back in 2000, but I can imagine these were huge back then. Even the base cards are stunning.

steve-a-reno - Very nice Maddux!

Keyser Soze - Thanks for the heads up! I do have an account and will definitely check it out.

ChasHawk - Hey Charlie! Hope things have been well, I have been busy with other things and trading/FCB had taken a back seat for the past few months. The upside is that less buying means I can save for bigger items like these HoloGRFX cards if they should pop-up. Congrats on the latest Nicholson additions btw.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
nevermore said:
exigussrex - As fancy as today's game-used cards have gotten, they don't feature unique memoribila like this. I'd take these over a patch any day.

MallCopKJ - Thanks for posting the Jeter. I had the Jeter and Tino scans saved at one point but can't seem to locate them. I don't remember the price either.

Fandruw25 - Cool card! Glad you have one already in your collection. Who would have ever guessed he would be a Yankee down the road?

heavy_hitter - Here is the back of the regular card, the wording is straightforward unlike the vague wording of today's sets. Don't have the back of the auto scanned.

ps13.jpg

ffgameman - I didn't collect back in 2000, but I can imagine these were huge back then. Even the base cards are stunning.

steve-a-reno - Very nice Maddux!

Keyser Soze - Thanks for the heads up! I do have an account and will definitely check it out.

ChasHawk - Hey Charlie! Hope things have been well, I have been busy with other things and trading/FCB had taken a back seat for the past few months. The upside is that less buying means I can save for bigger items like these HoloGRFX cards if they should pop-up. Congrats on the latest Nicholson additions btw.

If I had known he was gonna be a Yankee, my collection would not exist. Being a Braves fan, it's like he sold his soul and sided with the devil lol. Reminds me of Johnny Damon.

heavy_hitter

Jun 26, 2009
MallCopKJ said:
heavy_hitter said:

Thanks.

I dont have a scan of the back but the pictures on the autographed version of all the cards are different than the non-auto version.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Members online

Latest posts