Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My favorite thing about modern baseball cards is............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
serial numbering

One of my primary ways to judge how good a box break is how many serial numbered cards I pull.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
TBTwinsFan said:
For some cards, I think it's my least favorite thing. Takes away from the look. I would rather have a stated print run and no stamping.

Some people don't trust stated print runs

Someday I would like to build a large sn'ed set i.e. a topps gold set

I always loved early SN'ed cards that were SN'ed over 10000

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
js0000001 said:
TBTwinsFan said:
For some cards, I think it's my least favorite thing. Takes away from the look. I would rather have a stated print run and no stamping.

Some people don't trust stated print runs

Someday I would like to build a large sn'ed set i.e. a topps gold set

I always loved early SN'ed cards that were SN'ed over 10000

That's true.

I like the high base parallel serial numbered stuff, and 1/1s though.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
hofmichael said:
You would be thrilled with a box of Moments & Milestones.

I've never busted any but I once lost out on a huge lot of M&M Mantle cards. Would have been like .25 cents each for a thousand of them. Could have made money on those no doubt.

I've always noticed Hobby = SN'ed and Retail = not

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
js0000001 said:
hofmichael said:

I've never busted any but I once lost out on a huge lot of M&M Mantle cards. Would have been like .25 cents each for a thousand of them. Could have made money on those no doubt.

I've always noticed Hobby = SN'ed and Retail = not

Not necessarily. You bust Topps Chrome and get a handful of serial numbered cards from each blaster or rack pack quite easily. And Score was pretty good about it too until the last few years. I know also I always got low numbered hits from topps mayo cut plug too. In fact, now that I recall, most of the good serial numbered cards I have pulled from retail have been football. But I have found my share in baseball too. Just seem to have better luck with football.

My favorite thing other than the serial numbering is being able to pull autos. Pulled some decent ones from retail but of course hobby is better. But there is nothing cooler than driving 5 minutes from the house and pulling a David Wright autograph out of a pack of cards.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
TBTwinsFan said:

I'm am a fan of the s/n, but I agree that when they are on the front of the card it doesn't look very good. I like how Bowman Chrome has the s/n smaller and on the back of the card.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
predatorkj said:
I know also I always got low numbered hits from topps mayo cut plug too. In fact, now that I recall, most of the good serial numbered cards I have pulled from retail have been football.

The two lowest numbered cards that I have ever pulled came from 08 Mayo Retail. A McFadden Auto /10 and a Flacco Mini /5. But then again, Retail Mayo was better than Hobby...

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I like s/n cards, but have never understood numbering the front, especially in a bad font or cheap black ink stamping.

I think the Upper Deck 1 of 1 looks OK most of the time, but the rest...meh.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
hofmichael said:

:lol: You need to rip a box and have this playing in the background:

[youtube:ye1o4zu7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUoDaCH1MJM[/youtube:ye1o4zu7]

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
I dont really like anything about modern cards, besides selling them for a profit. I prefer vintage.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
ChasHawk said:
I like s/n cards, but have never understood numbering the front, especially in a bad font or cheap black ink stamping.

I think the Upper Deck 1 of 1 looks OK most of the time, but the rest...meh.
2008sweetspot.jpg

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
.........The amount of choices I have.
I love being able to walk into my LCS and see a new product each and every week.

.........the awesome state of the art technology and die cutting used on cards.
Man, those Fleer mega hard inserts are insane looking.

.........the need for companies to be on the ball due to all the competition there is.
No one is gonna mess up, not with FOUR companies competing for my dollar.

........base Bowman Chrome prospects.
I love opening a box and getting back most of the box price by selling 5-10 base prospect cards. And I get to keep the auto too!

.........how upfront the companies are.
I KNOW theres only 50 Gold Refs and that there will never be un numbered versions (un cut sheets) given to big distributors

........the honesty of companies.
It says right there on the card that my Babe Ruth features pieces of his GAME USED BAT.

........knowing whats on the pre sell CL is what will be in the actual product
If Pujols is listed as an auto on the pre sell checklist, I KNOW he will be in the actual product.

.........great customer service.
One call does it all. "Hey, I was missing a GU in my box"...BAM! Seven days later one arrives in my mailbox. No hoops, ladders to jump thru.

........hitting the street on the actual due date
If Topps says Finest is coming out April 8, Im opening my box on that date. I set my watch to their due dates.

........the all retired only player sets
I love Archives and Fan Favorites and Hall of Famers. Nothing but retired Legends.

........the quality of box breaks
I always get that "Man that was a great box" feeling when I open boxes. A solid break all around.

I miss the early/ mid 2000s hobby.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
To me, a 1/1 is really nice and stuff but in general I am very, very frustrated with serial numbers. If there is a card I like, I'm talking about high-end HOFer players, let's take something like a Cobb bat for example. Same exact look of card one is /100 one is /25. /100 sells for $50, but the seller with the one /25 will ask for something like $150 for it, I understand idk a $20-$30 premium but triple the value is frustrating. Also those triple threads variations. I like the card just for the players on it and the team or play or event they're depicting. The seller that has the /18 version shouldn't want double what the /27 version goes for.

But by far the most frustrating thing is take a player like Swisher for example. Auto sells for idk $5 something like that. A seller will have some version /5 and ask for like $120 for it and if it's a card I'm interested in I'll try to reason with them and try to give them a solid premium but still get a fair price and they'll say something like 'hey listen buddy there are only 5 in the world of this card and I've got one of them' so they'll act like they have all the bargaining power on a crappy card just because it's a low numbered variation.

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
Before serial numbering card companies could just go wild and print a million sets of everything.

And with the morals of many of these companies I would not be surprised if they would print more cards years later.

Serial numbering keeps the companies honest.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
BBCgalaxee said:
.........The amount of choices I have.
I love being able to walk into my LCS and see a new product each and every week.

.........the awesome state of the art technology and die cutting used on cards.
Man, those Fleer mega hard inserts are insane looking.

.........the need for companies to be on the ball due to all the competition there is.
No one is gonna mess up, not with FOUR companies competing for my dollar.

........base Bowman Chrome prospects.
I love opening a box and getting back most of the box price by selling 5-10 base prospect cards. And I get to keep the auto too!

.........how upfront the companies are.
I KNOW theres only 50 Gold Refs and that there will never be un numbered versions (un cut sheets) given to big distributors

........the honesty of companies.
It says right there on the card that my Babe Ruth features pieces of his GAME USED BAT.

........knowing whats on the pre sell CL is what will be in the actual product
If Pujols is listed as an auto on the pre sell checklist, I KNOW he will be in the actual product.

.........great customer service.
One call does it all. "Hey, I was missing a GU in my box"...BAM! Seven days later one arrives in my mailbox. No hoops, ladders to jump thru.

........hitting the street on the actual due date
If Topps says Finest is coming out April 8, Im opening my box on that date. I set my watch to their due dates.

........the all retired only player sets
I love Archives and Fan Favorites and Hall of Famers. Nothing but retired Legends.

........the quality of box breaks
I always get that "Man that was a great box" feeling when I open boxes. A solid break all around.

I miss the early/ mid 2000s hobby.

Do you share these rants with your customers?

It's one thing for us to rant here, but for a store owner... doesn't seem to be condusive to smart business.

Members online