Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Angels Trade Tyler Chatwood to Rockies for Chris Iannetta

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Angels Acquire Iannetta From Rockies For Chatwood
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 30, 2011 at 6:16pm CST]

The Angels announced that they obtained catcher Chris Iannetta from the Rockies for starting pitcher Tyler Chatwood.

The move provides the Angels with additional offense behind the plate and rounds out the team's offense with the kind of high-OBP hitter Dipoto expressed interest in earlier in the offseason. Iannetta posted a .238/.370/.414 line in 2011 and given his career line of .235/.357/.430 the Angels are likely expecting similar production in 2012.

Non-tender candidate Jeff Mathis is probably expendable now, whether that means the Angels trade him before Friday's deadline to tender arbitration eligilbe players contracts or cut him loose.

The deal is Dipoto's first since being named the Angels' GM about a month ago. It's worth noting that he made the move with Dan O'Dowd, who was Dipoto's GM at the end of his playing career in Colorado. Dipoto made other significant trades as Arizona's interim GM in the summer of 2010.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
Farewell to Chris Iannetta- he will be missed. I don't really know anything about Tyler, so those that follow can rank this trade.

IannettaBowmanChromeSuperfractorAU.jpg

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Superfractor said:
Farewell to Chris Iannetta- he will be missed. I don't really know anything about Tyler, so those that follow can rank this trade.

IannettaBowmanChromeSuperfractorAU.jpg
Great looking signature he has..

Not liking this trade. Iannetta isn't that much of an upgrade over Mathis, which isn't saying much. Chatwood is only 21 and still very young. Although he was wild in most of his starts last year, he did show some promise.

I think they should have packaged Chatwood with another middle infielder (Aybar, Izturis, Callaspo, Amarista, etc.) and picked up a better bat or bullpen help. Heath Bell would have been an better option.

Not sure why Scioscia doesn't like to play the younger guys but Conger is more than likely going to ride the pine or be in AAA.

Same goes for Trout with Hunter, Wells, and Bourjos patrolling the outfield.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Superfractor said:
Looks like we are close to signing temporary Ramon Hernandez.

Done deal.

Rockies Agree To Sign Ramon Hernandez
By Mike Axisa [November 30, 2011 at 6:34pm CST]

The Rockies have agreed to sign Ramon Hernandez to two-year contract worth $6.5MM, reports Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. In a related move, Colorado has traded Chris Iannetta to the Angels for Tyler Chatwood.

Hernandez, 35, started the offseason as a Type-A free agent, but he was reclassified as a Type-B as part of the new collective bargaining agreement. The Reds will receive a supplemental first round pick for losing Hernandez, but the Rockies will not lose a pick.

The signing gives Colorado a veteran presence behind the plate to help with a young rotation that figures to include the likes of Chatwood, Jhoulys Chacin, Drew Pomeranz, Alex White, Esmil Rogers, and Clayton Mortensen. Hernandez hit .282/.341/.446 with a dozen homers in 328 plate appearances for the Reds last season. Colorado will be his fifth big league team.

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
Its funny how many catchers have to wait until they're 25, 26, before they get a shot.

But Montero at 21 years old was 'wasting time' in AAA all season :)

gmsieb

Apr 19, 2011
I hope I end up wrong, but I cant stand this trade. Why trade a 21 year old pitcher, with potential to be a number 3 starter, maybe better, for a platoon catcher?? Ianetta's road numbers are very mathis like. Angels could have signed molina or hernandez and kept chatwood. Seems like they could have done much better than a catcher that cant hit in colorado. Great trade for the rockies. I view conger as the future, If thats the case, you traded a 21 year old, with great potential, for a 1 year platoon catcher, who the rockies needed to get rid of. Typical angels though, which is why I dropped my season tickets last year. Too hard to watch.

greg

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
scotty21690 said:
Good trade for the Angels, I'm sure they could have used his bat last season.

Could have used Napoli's bat even more. I don't get why they kept Mathis so long, hope he's out.

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
gmsieb said:
I hope I end up wrong, but I cant stand this trade. Why trade a 21 year old pitcher, with potential to be a number 3 starter, maybe better, for a platoon catcher?? Ianetta's road numbers are very mathis like. Angels could have signed molina or hernandez and kept chatwood. Seems like they could have done much better than a catcher that cant hit in colorado. Great trade for the rockies. I view conger as the future, If thats the case, you traded a 21 year old, with great potential, for a 1 year platoon catcher, who the rockies needed to get rid of. Typical angels though, which is why I dropped my season tickets last year. Too hard to watch.

greg

Curious what potential you saw that would dictate Chatwood as a #3 or better? Just because he is young does not necessarily mean that he will improve (and he'd need to improve a LOT to even be a 3). Chatwood had nearly a 4 ERA in double A, over a 5 career ERA in triple A, and nearly a 5 ERA in the MLB (and he was babied up in the big leagues, no doubt). Realistically, he had no shot at the opening day roster this year, there are no foreseeable openings in the Angels rotation, and he needs to undergo a lot of work to figure out his glaring control issues. As an Angels fan, would you rather see Chatwood throwing up batting practice FBs to Mathis or watch Richards throw above average stuff to Iannetta? I know what I'd prefer....

Angels fans cry about the front office overvaluing prospects that turn out to be junk, and now the team actually moves a junk prospect for an improvement at the team's weakest position and fans still complain.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
gmsieb said:

greg
I have to respectfully disagree Greg. Tyler Chatwood, IMO, has just about no chance to become a #3 starter. Again, just my opinion. Gives up WAY too many baserunners, and this trend has been with him since starting pro ball. Honestly, I think Chatwood is a guy that is a future reliever.

I agree about signing Ramon Hernandez-it would have made much more sense. But I just don't see Chatwood as a guy that amounts to much. Now, as you pointed out, he is just 21-so there is still a lot of time. Perhaps he could turn into something, but I just don't see that happening.

exigussrex

Sep 17, 2010
los angeles
I'm glad we made a move to improve one of our weakest positions. We've got other young pitching, so I'm not too concerned. I'm sure Chatwood (a so-cal native) won't be too thrilled about leaving his home.
I've read rumors of Angels talking with C.J. Wilson. If that goes through then Chatwood will definitely be obsolete.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
I am not overly thrilled with Ianetta, would have much rather had kept Napoli but it was a good trade. It almost cements the fact that Mathis will be non tendered. If Ianetta can put up a .230/.350/.450 line, it will be a definite upgrade.

Members online

Latest posts