Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So I got to meet the Red Sox greatest pitcher ever yesterday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
My friend called me the other day and said that Pedro Martinez was going to be around Boston for a toy drive on Saturday. So we all loaded up and I went to add the biggest name left to my 2004 ALCS Pennant. I've already got Ortiz, Schilling, Trot Nixon, Foulke, Dave Roberts, Bronson Arroyo, Youkilis and Manny on it. So really the biggest person left was Pedro, and he is doing some more appearances now in the Boston area, so this gave me a great opportunity to add him to this piece.

My friends wife, and kid were with us too and had nothing to get signed, but just waited the three hours with us so when we got in the store actually they were giving out nice quality 8x10's so my friends wife got me that signed as well.

20111204_080029.jpg

20111204_080015.jpg

and

331135_10150508956344458_717329457_10807427_54592421_o.jpg

Was so pumped considering the amount of public appearances he does, although it does look like he is starting to do a lot more charity events around here, which is awesome.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
.....woo hoo and congrats- great signature on the 8x10!!

Saw on NECN last night that he was in town, what was the charity event? They showed a pic of Pedro circa 2000 and interviewed him- he looks so much bigger today.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Congrats Rob, he is a tough auto . I finally landed one a couple of months ago on a card but would love to get a baseball one day. Does he ever do inscriptions?

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
He was doing inscriptions, but I figured I was at the end of line so didn't bother and was thrilled with what I got.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
pghbuccos said:
very cool 8x10 Rob and the Pennant looks amazing with another autograph on it.

how was Pedro in person?

When we were up there he was pretty deep in conversation with the Jimmy fund president. But they were talking how no fans were ever close to Boston fans to him. He stayed over an hour late to sign for everyone who was there before line got cut off.

pghbuccos

Aug 7, 2008
PixBurgh
beefycheddar said:
pghbuccos said:

how was Pedro in person?

When we were up there he was pretty deep in conversation with the Jimmy fund president. But they were talking how no fans were ever close to Boston fans to him. He stayed over an hour late to sign for everyone who was there before line got cut off.

Pedro has always seemed like a great guy and very fan friendly and it's good to hear that it's true.

congrats again Rob!!

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
pghbuccos said:
beefycheddar said:
pghbuccos said:

how was Pedro in person?

Pedro has always seemed like a great guy and very fan friendly and it's good to hear that it's true.

congrats again Rob!!
Zim doesn't think so.
pedro_zimmer21.jpg

I always hated Pedro as a Yankee fan, and most of that was just because he was so damn good. He had an entertaining personality and seemed to eat it all up in Boston. Congrats on the auto.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
Sweet autographs! Greatest Red Sox pitcher ever... not so much.

Who was better? I'd take his 1999 through 2001 stretch over anyone by far. He was better at that point than Clemens at any point when you consider Steroid era.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
D-Lite said:
pghbuccos said:
beefycheddar said:
pghbuccos said:

how was Pedro in person?

congrats again Rob!!
Zim doesn't think so.
pedro_zimmer21.jpg

I always hated Pedro as a Yankee fan, and most of that was just because he was so damn good. He had an entertaining personality and seemed to eat it all up in Boston. Congrats on the auto.

September 10th 1999 is probably the most dominant pitching performance I have ever seen by anyone on the Red Sox and that includes the no hitters. Either that or his big game against the Rays. 9/10/99 was a 1 hit, 1ER, 17 SO complete game vs the 1999 Yankees.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
beefycheddar said:
Mozzie22 said:

Who was better? I'd take his 1999 through 2001 stretch over anyone by far. He was better at that point than Clemens at any point when you consider Steroid era.

Cy Young won 192 games for Boston in an eight year stretch while maintainig a 2.00 ERA, 275 complete games, and 38 shut outs.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Rob nice stuff. I gotta go with Clemens too. Its funny how they dont glorify Clemens like they should. He was DOMINANT for years.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
jcmint said:
Rob nice stuff. I gotta go with Clemens too. Its funny how they dont glorify Clemens like they should. He was DOMINANT for years.

Watching all of Pedro's games and watching all of Clemens games, I would have taken Pedro over Clemens. Roger Clemens is my all time favorite player, but Pedro when you needed him to do something big was better. Pedro vs the Indians was as big a performance as I can think of. Clemens had zero big meaningful performances for Boston.

Pedro had the Indians relief appearance, the Yankees games, and numerous others that were insanely dominant all time. Clemens had his 20K game, but nothing that dominant.

The reason no one glorifies Clemens is because of his reputation. I met him twice, and he was beyond nice to me. But the public persona of Pedro vs Clemens is pretty much polar opposite with Pedro being the silly, goofy guy that his teammates could hogtie to the dugout vs Clemens who all the media, and organization at this point disliked.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Mozzie22 said:
beefycheddar said:
Mozzie22 said:

Cy Young won 192 games for Boston in an eight year stretch while maintainig a 2.00 ERA, 275 complete games, and 38 shut outs.

Steroid era vs Dead Ball era statistically I do not think can be compared.

Members online