Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Purple Ref's #/10 from 2011 BCDP - Yay or Nay~

Oh, you like~

• Yes, purple will be the new orange in a few years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
so, FINALLY getting into draft (did a case) and although i've heard about the new purple refractor, seems as if the secondary market isn't too receptive just yet.

kind of reminds of when orange ref was first introduced where the price difference between the gold and orange we not much a while back

do you guys like/hate the new purples?

i personally thought green ref should have been the next colored refractor. not too happy with another refractor line less than gold's #/50s, either..

if the purples are here to stay, i think it's a great investment now..

what do you think?

dave

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
I'm not sure I like your poll options, but I like the Purple. I'm for anything that adds value. I do agree, I think a green refractor would be great. If they were to add a green, I'd prefer they set them in between the Refractor and Blue Refractor. Removing the Xfractor was one of the biggest value subtractions that they've done to BC products.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
I think they've over used the purple. There's too many varieties, no numbers to numbered to a wide variety of totals. They should've used a different color IMHO.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
69MetsFan said:
I think they've over used the purple. There's too many varieties, no numbers to numbered to a wide variety of totals. They should've used a different color IMHO.
Dave, I agree. For the past few years Purple refractors have been in retail (blasters). But now they can be found in Both hobby, and Retail in a auto form. I think they would be a good fit, if they stayed in retail, with or without an auto on them.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
BowmanChromeAddict said:
The only thing I don't like about the purple is that the non-auto version is not rare, yet the auto version is extremely rare. I think the contrast is a mistake.
Agreed, I don't think the non-auto should be retail only.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
thanks for the inputs, fellas

like stated, the fact that purple was already established on retail exclusive..as well as the color looking so similar to blue ref's. i havent seen one in hand but scans ive seen, cant tell the diff between the two. at least golds and oranges, there are subtle differences.

i think topps made a HUGE booboo by not using the atomic refractors like we saw from topps chrome. those atomic ref auto's #/10's are flat out gorgeous with a hint of xfractor look.

had bowman chrome draft introduced the atomic ref #/10 autos instead of purple, i say the prices would be higher imo.

jim, the poll was a very quick one without much thought into the option. basically a i like or dont like option. lol. plus no coffee yet so didnt get into it fully

dave

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
BowmanChromeAddict said:
The only thing I don't like about the purple is that the non-auto version is not rare, yet the auto version is extremely rare. I think the contrast is a mistake.

This is my feeling too, it doesn't make sense to set the precedent for a certain color as a non-rare parallel and then make it the 3rd rarest, ultra-limited parallel of autograph. I think it's cool to pull a red and know it's valuable regardless, but pulling a purple you don't even know if you should get excited or not until you see whether it is auto'd.

I prefer the way it was without a #/10 parallel, because it helps the Golds and Oranges maintain their status as high-end cards.

But IF they are going to have one, I think a different color parallel would make more sense if they are going to use a #/10.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
daveyou said:
thanks for the inputs, fellas

i think topps made a HUGE booboo by not using the atomic refractors like we saw from topps chrome. those atomic ref auto's #/10's are flat out gorgeous with a hint of xfractor look.

had bowman chrome draft introduced the atomic ref #/10 autos instead of purple, i say the prices would be higher imo.

dave

I agree. I like the atomics. Or are they crystal atomic as I now see in listings? I think the atomic /10 die cut auto in Finest look nice. Picked up a few for a great price imo. The football are /50 but seem to sell good.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Since they exist, I'm interested as a buyer. I think investment wise, they are a bargain as many are selling for slighly more than orange refractors. Over time, I'd imagine the difference between orange and purple refractors will increase significantly.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topps will apparently continue to make more changes next year, 'silver ice', 'red wave refractors' and 'blue wave refractors'.
2012B3.jpg
2012B4.jpg

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I think they are a positive, but will take a few years of consistency for them to really see a premium. Almost the exact same thing happened with the introduction of the orange.

As someone else mentioned, what I think hurts them the most is that they are a common parallel in non auto form and then a super short print in auto form. Really don't understand why that's such. For breakers, any high end parallels are a potential bonus.

Members online

Latest posts