Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Redemption replacement thoughts wanted

Replace or wait? Read post first please

• request a replacement now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
I redeemed a 2011 Bowman Platinum Hexagraph Book Patch card #/10 of Hellickson/Chapman/Freeman/Alonso/Morel/Drabek in August (or maybe September), I bought the redemption on eBay for almost $300, it was an impulse buy after I sold my Pence collection and had a few grand to spend. The standard window that Topps gives has come and gone and I now have the option of replacing the card. I called Topps, and of course they won't give you any choices, just that it will be the same "Beckett Value". He also said that if I did not like what I get that I could send it back and get another random replacement. I am deliberating having the card replaced, and wanted your opinion. Here are some of the arguments going through my head:

Arguments for replacing:
-get a card now
-it sometimes takes Topps a year to redeem a card with 1 auto, how long will it take to redeem a card waiting for 6 autographs?!
-Topps has been known to put the word "patch" on a redemption, only to send plain jersey pieces and call it a "production error" and tell the collector to go pound sand
-I'll somewhat enjoy the gamble and mystery of getting a random high-end card in the mail, opening the package will be the equivalent of opening a high-end pack that's guaranteed to have a good card
-sometimes these multi-player autographs have the auto on different types of stickers and look ugly, see the Jason Heyward/Daryl Strawberry dual auto's on eBay that don't get jack
-if I don't like the original replacement, I can send it back and request a new one

Arguments against replacement:
-they're valuing the card based on "Beckett value", those idiots can't get the value of cards that you see on a regular basis right, how will they value a card #'d to 10 for which there are NONE on the market? What if they say it's worth $100? Or what if they say it's worth $300, and send me a replacement that they value at $300 but will only get $50 on the market?
-original redeemed card is really cool, with 6 up-and-coming players and supposed to contain patches for each
-if card comes with nice patches, could be worth a good chunk of change

Right now I am leaning towards waiting another 2 months or so, and requesting a replacement if it hasn't shipped at that point. Please vote in the poll and let me know any arguments that I am neglecting to consider. Thanks for your opinions

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
Man your screwed, since they will most likely never make this card. And then when they send you the replacement, your never going to get the value you paid for it.

I voted wait it out.

Keyser Soze

Nov 9, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Pine Tar said:
Man your screwed, since they will most likely never make this card. And then when they send you the replacement, your never going to get the value you paid for it.

I voted wait it out.

Thanks for the input. I long ago accepted the fact that I overpaid and have moved on, so the value part isn't what bothers me.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
i vote wait it out. in my PERSONAL experience (i know tons of others would disagree) Topps has always been more than fair replacing damaged cards, or cards that wont be made. In case of a replacement, i would provide them with proof of what you paid for the card....and argue that that is its cash value and demand a comparable sell value card.

jbmm161

Dec 19, 2010
Ft Worth
Just hold it, I have as much faith in Topps as you do but I think it would be a cool card to have in your collection.
Better than 99.9% of what they would send you.

Only way I would exchange is for a Hank Aaron or Sandy Koufax auto. But of course they don't give you a choice.

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
Keyser Soze said:
Thanks all, looks to be close to unanimous, as I am the only vote for option 3 and there's only 1 vote for option 1.

yeah, but in the end, your vote is the only one that counts!

lawhs89

Apr 3, 2011
Wait it out for awhile. This is the same company that sent me this today... "We sincerely apologize for the delay, however we have experienced some shipping problems with Redemption cards. Cards marked "Shipped" over the last 3-5 weeks have not actually been shipped yet. These cards on shipping throughout the week and should be received in 2-3 weeks."

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
I would first ask what they are going to value the card at, beckett, as you know, doesn't price cards #ed to 10.

If they say its worth 300 or 400 bucks, then I would tell them to replace it 1 for 1. At that high a price they would
almost have to give you either Pujols or a nice Mantle piece. The key being here is 1 to 1. They will try to "hook
you up" with multiple cards, this is where you get screwed.

I would deal with someone who has a name also, don't accept talk from some random cs dude. Have a name and have
an email, this is a must.

Good Luck
Kevin

Members online