Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Congrats to Ron Santo Golden Era Committee HOF selection !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Re: Congrats to Ron Santo Golden Era Committee HOF selection

They should be embarrassed.

It was a given, everyone knew he would get elected, to do it after he passed is a travesty.

The same could be said for not electing Buck O'Neill as a contributor.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Re: Congrats to Ron Santo Golden Era Committee HOF selection

200lbhockeyplayer said:
They should be embarrassed.

It was a given, everyone knew he would get elected, to do it after he passed is a travesty.

The same could be said for not electing Buck O'Neill as a contributor.

....agreed. I am sure this is most bittersweet for his family.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I'm not trying to be a dick, or a homer Cardinals fan here, but.........

I'm sorry, but Ron Santo doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. If you have to wait this long to get in, you don't deserve it. NOBODY DOES. In my mind, you're either first ballot worthy, or you AREN'T WORTHY! It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good Players. Their should just be the cream of the crop voted in. Not sympathy votes. Whitey Herzog didn't deserve it either. If you have to wait that long to get in, there's a reason for it, you're not worthy.

I know the Veterans Committee voted him in, but I call BS.

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
I'm happy for ole Ronnie. Just an absolute travesty that they waited this long. IMO he should've been in 10 yrs ago. It's not like his numbers magically got better. Congrats Ronnie, RIP

~AJ

Cardinals homer in the house. I suppose if Ron could've done backflips he would've gotten in first ballot.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
ajbraves25 said:
I'm happy for ole Ronnie. Just an absolute travesty that they waited this long. IMO he should've been in 10 yrs ago. It's not like his numbers magically got better. Congrats Ronnie, RIP

~AJ

Cardinals homer in the house. I suppose if Ron could've done backflips he would've gotten in first ballot.

+1, exactly right. Santo is easily one of the best third basemen of all time and it's very much a shame this didn't happen last year. Hopefully Ronnie is clicking his heels in heaven.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
James52411 said:
ajbraves25 said:

~AJ

+1, exactly right. Santo is easily one of the best third basemen of all time and it's very much a shame this didn't happen last year. Hopefully Ronnie is clicking his heels in heaven.

Why didn't it happen all the years prior to that then? I just don't understand. You're either HOF worthy, or you're not. He wasn't worthy all of those years prior, what makes him worthy now?

I have just always been of the thinking that it should just be the very best of the best voted in, and those are guys who are worthy of being voted in on the first ballot. If you have to wait several years and years to get in, what makes you more worthy THEN than your first chance on the ballot?

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Here's his previous historical voting %'s

Hall of Fame
1980 BBWAA ( 3.9%)
1985 BBWAA (13.4%)
1986 BBWAA (15.1%)
1987 BBWAA (18.9%)
1988 BBWAA (25.3%)
1989 BBWAA (16.8%)
1990 BBWAA (21.6%)
1991 BBWAA (26.2%)
1992 BBWAA (31.6%)
1993 BBWAA (36.6%)
1994 BBWAA (32.9%)
1995 BBWAA (30.2%)
1996 BBWAA (37.0%)
1997 BBWAA (39.3%)
1998 BBWAA (43.1%)

Veteran's Ballot- need 75%
2003 46/81 (56.8%)
2005 52/80 (65.0%)
2007 57/82 (69.5%)
2009 39/64 (60.9%)

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
MaineMule said:
Here's his previous historical voting %'s

Hall of Fame
1980 BBWAA ( 3.9%)
1985 BBWAA (13.4%)
1986 BBWAA (15.1%)
1987 BBWAA (18.9%)
1988 BBWAA (25.3%)
1989 BBWAA (16.8%)
1990 BBWAA (21.6%)
1991 BBWAA (26.2%)
1992 BBWAA (31.6%)
1993 BBWAA (36.6%)
1994 BBWAA (32.9%)
1995 BBWAA (30.2%)
1996 BBWAA (37.0%)
1997 BBWAA (39.3%)
1998 BBWAA (43.1%)

Veteran's Ballot- need 75%
2003 46/81 (56.8%)
2005 52/80 (65.0%)
2007 57/82 (69.5%)
2009 39/64 (60.9%)

2010 Death (2011 sympathy vote-in)

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Sam Banks said:

I'm sorry, but Ron Santo doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. If you have to wait this long to get in, you don't deserve it. NOBODY DOES. In my mind, you're either first ballot worthy, or you AREN'T WORTHY! It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good Players. Their should just be the cream of the crop voted in. Not sympathy votes. Whitey Herzog didn't deserve it either. If you have to wait that long to get in, there's a reason for it, you're not worthy.

so your saying Joe DiMaggio doesn't belong in the HOF?

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
For Pete's sake, he got 3.9% his first appearance on the ballot. That tells you everything you need to know about him being worthy of the Hall of Fame.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
chromerookies said:
Sam Banks said:

so your saying Joe DiMaggio doesn't belong in the HOF?

I'm saying Ron Santo doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame 20+ years after first appearing on the ballot. I don't know anything about the Joe D. situation.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Sam Banks said:

Sam,

I am not saying this because Ron was a Cub. For a long time, I didn't think he should get in (I never saw him play). But I recently read some different studies stating he is the 7th best 3rd basemen of all time. Works for me.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
I wouldn't go so far as to say you're either first ballot or you're not worthy, but I guess if you're on the ballot like 20 times or however many times he was on people can be skeptical as to why you're in now. I think he's borderline, maybe does maybe doesn't deserve it, but in any case I welcome him in and wish he was here to witness this day but anyways I can't imagine how proud his family must feel. Also can someone correct me if I'm wrong? Didn't he get removed from the ballot before because he got too small of a percentage to stay on?

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Congrats to Ron Santo. A better Human Being then Ballplayer, and that's saying a lot. What Ron did for Diabetes Research cannot be stressed enough.

Sad that Gil got screwed over yet again

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
His glove, bat and the fact he played while dealing with diabetes is just that much more impressive. Nice job on foot in mouth with the if not in on first ballot you don't get in. Guess Cooperstown needs to take DiMaggio's plaque down.

~AJ

Aug 13, 2008
He got in because he was a quirky broadcaster in a sympathetic media town. That 3.9% by Baseball writers of his era is a telling stat.

The Veterans/Golden era committee is for players that didn't get elected because either because in the early days of the hall of fame, there was a backlog on good players getting elected or you were historically hidden from the initial popular vote (***** leagues & pre-1900 players).

My litmus test for HOF players, is when you can say that you went to a baseball game to see *** play. Ron Santo wasn't that guy - a lot of others in the HOF are the same way.

Members online

Latest posts