Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The great american auction w 132 cobb checks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Anyone see this show last night on abc?

One of the items auctioned was a whole checkbook owned by cobb w 132 signed checks.

They didn't show them (except a few) but some w here horrible condition.

It met reserve of 90k and the owner was PISSED!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
BBCgalaxee said:
Anyone see this show last night on abc?

One of the items auctioned was a whole checkbook owned by cobb w 132 signed checks.

They didn't show them (except a few) but some w here horrible condition.

It met reserve of 90k and the owner was PISSED!
Even at an average of $800 per check you could still turn a $10,000+ profit.Nicer ones would go for more.There is money to be made at $90K.

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
I posted this earlier, but it must have been on the old boards server.

I saw it. I'm not sure why she was so upset considering she agreed to the reserve. Not only that, but to get any more out of them she would have break them up and sell them individually. Buying anything in bulk is cheaper. Plus she would have to sell them over a period of time, so she doesn't flood the market. Along with likely having to pay for authenticating 132 signatures to get the most money back.

At most she could have maybe made 132,000 minus grading and selling fees. Plus a ton of time in selling them off slowly. I'm not sure why she was so upset.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
it will be tough to turn a profit on them overall

Most you can sell raw, but youd want to have them slabbed if they are in rough condition (extra $$ invested)

If you sell them 1 per month it will take 11 years, if you sell any faster it will flood the market

Even now with many knowing about 132 more to the market the existing checks will go slightly down in value.

The problem that happens with finds like this is the people that do buy these will also turn around and try to resell them as well, its a no win situation. If it was 20 checks it would blend in, but 132 is a big number even though Cobb checks are common for the Era already.

The lady should have been happy lol, she actually should have sold them slowly herself, and it would have taken a few years before collectors caught on there was a "find" ... but now with message boards and the TV spotlight, everyone knows

If you have a Cobb check, Id sell right now... yesterday ;)

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
nborton said:
I posted this earlier, but it must have been on the old boards server.

I saw it. I'm not sure why she was so upset considering she agreed to the reserve. Not only that, but to get any more out of them she would have break them up and sell them individually. Buying anything in bulk is cheaper. Plus she would have to sell them over a period of time, so she doesn't flood the market. Along with likely having to pay for authenticating 132 signatures to get the most money back.

At most she could have maybe made 132,000 minus grading and selling fees. Plus a ton of time in selling them off slowly. I'm not sure why she was so upset.

Because she knows nothing of the hobby and probably assumed that they were worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. I laughed at her and her daughter sobbing on national tv and then watching the lady pout like an idiot because she "only" got $90K. ::facepalm::

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
I was suprised it didn't go for more. Without knowing how well the items are advertised prior to the auction, that may be partly why it went for "only" $90K. My wife and I both got a kick out of the woman pouting and stomping off after the auction.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
i didn't catch this, wish i had known about it.

I'm sure topps will buy about 20 soon so they can make some cobb cut autos!!!

seriously though, the lady was crying? there's no crying in baseball (signed check sales..)

dave

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
There were a few other collectibles toi.

Three graded vintage comics (think stan lee won them) and an 1888 bill found in a pic frame sold for 14k I think.

Members online

Latest posts