Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

players collectors excel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Hey guys,

in a few weeks I was going to start organizing my collections (mainly player collection of miggy) to see what I have and dont have. I was wondering what programs do you guys use to do this? Mainly excel or do any of you use microsoft word or anything else?

Anyone who does use excel, I would love to see how your organize it within the program, so if you have a template just send one over to me

thanks

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I use Microsoft Paint... I'm kinda old school, though. Feel free to use my template:
gwynnpaint.jpg

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I like google docs. Easily accessable from anywhere you can get the internet and you can paste the link for others to see if you need. You can do a standard word document (or whatever their version is called) or use their database which you can then set up for easy searchability. In my sig you can click on the Justin Upton link for the word document and collection database to see the database.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Paul Pierce Collection

I use excel, but uploaded it to google docs for you to view. There is a 0,1 or 1,1 next to each card. The first number is 0 if I need it, and 1 if I have it. The 2nd number is just for getting the total amount of cards for that year.

Each year is broken down into it's own tab, and there is summary tab at the end for the stats on the collection. The summary gives the breakdown of total cards each year, total owner per year, percentage owned per year and then the overall breakdown for all years.

This also allows me to name my scans with corresponding file names. Basically if it's the first card listed in 1998-99 then the scan name is 199899-001, or if it's the 100th card its 199899-100.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
thanks guys

my original idea was to just add cards that i have (versus what tomlinson did and have every card listed and check off what you have) but i think I like his version better.....how long did it take you to make the template?

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
miguelcabrera said:
thanks guys

my original idea was to just add cards that i have (versus what tomlinson did and have every card listed and check off what you have) but i think I like his version better.....how long did it take you to make the template?

It probably took me about a week to type up the list, with an hour here and there or while I was watching TV at night. Once you get the hang of it there are shortcuts. There are the same parallels and serial numbering in sets like A&G and Bowman Chrome, so you can copy those from year to year and just change the card number and year.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
I use excel as well, with have, year, card, card number, type, and print run headings.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
Zambrano38 said:
I use excel as well, with have, year, card, card number, type, and print run headings.

wow did not expect to get a response from the great zambrano38 in on of my threads!

so you use tomlinson's method as well, by listing cards you dont even have yet just without a check mark, correct? how long did this take you to create

thanks man

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Go to Beckett
Type in player name
Get list
Copy and paste to Excel
Delete out columns you dont want/need
Delete out hyperlinks

Time taken to get your player checklist = less than 5-10 mins

Pretty simple

bigalbert