Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Aramis Ramirez to Brewers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
JimBowdenESPNxmJIM BOWDEN

Brewers finish rebuilding the left side of their infield with Alex Gonzalez at SS and Aramis Ramirez at third base

Also, Ben Francisco to Blue Jays for Frank Gailey

jonmorosiJon Morosi

#BlueJays acquire Ben Francisco from #Phillies for minor league LHP Frank Gailey

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Brewers To Sign Aramis Ramirez
By Tim Dierkes [December 12, 2011 at 11:45am CST]
Aramis Ramirez will sign a three-year contract with the Brewers, reports Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago. With first baseman Prince Fielder expected to leave via free agency and MVP Ryan Braun facing a potential 50-game suspension for a banned substance, the Brewers were motivated to add a middle-of-the-order bat. Ramirez is represented by Paul Kinzer of Wasserman Media Group.

Ramirez, 33, bounced back to hit .306/.361/.510 with 26 home runs in 626 plate appearances for the Cubs in 2011. Former Cubs GM Jim Hendry stole Ramirez from the Pirates in a 2003 trade, and the right-handed slugger solidified the position for Chicago by hitting .294/.356/.531 with 239 home runs over eight-plus seasons. His defense is below-average, based on UZR. Aramis, MLBTR's eighth-ranked free agent, finished a five-year, $75MM deal when he declined his side of a mutual option in October. The Cubs will receive a supplemental draft pick for their loss.

The Brewers had a need at the hot corner after Casey McGehee disappointed in 2011. The arbitration-eligible McGehee could still be used at first base if the Brewers decide not to non-tender him tonight or trade him this winter.

Though details of Ramirez's contract are not yet known, it's a safe assumption he received more than $10MM a year. After Francisco Rodriguez accepted arbitration from the Brewers last week, it wasn't clear whether they'd still be in the mix for another expensive player like Ramirez. The Brewers have revamped the left side of their infield, announcing a deal with shortstop Alex Gonzalez today.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Weird, my post was deleted.

The OP clearly mentioned the Francisco/Gailey trade.

ahill1

Aug 7, 2008
Aramis was one of my favorite Cubs. I hate to see him go to a division rival but good for him. IMO he has maybe 2 good years left in him.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
sheetskout said:
Good move by me! Slight defensive upgrade and I've heard there are teams out there interested in McGehee.

He's got a great bat, but Aramis is not exactly amazing on defense. Still sad to see him go. Good pick up for the Brewers.

fsulevine

Mar 5, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
While I would have loved for him to have remained a Cub, I knew he wouldn't. At least the Cubs had him for the prime of his career. Now that he is 33, the numbers should slowly decline for the next 3 years, then probably rapidly after that. Of course, this is assuming he stays healthy, which has been an on-and-off issue for him. Still wish him the best of luck, as long as Cub pitchers aren't on the mound.

Crewfan82

Apr 21, 2009
Really like this signing, I have to think Aramis will be good for 30+ HR playing at Miller Park.

He will offer solid protection for Braun from game 51 on.... ::facepalm::

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I don't have as much of a problem with the drop in defense at 3rd when we have such a marked uograde at SS.

I would think the Cubs would have to try hard for Fielder now. If I were a Cub fan, losing AR and then NOT getting Prince would kind of suck; watching one of the longest tenured guys leave to a rival, while not getting the best of that rival's players.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
hive17 said:
I don't have as much of a problem with the drop in defense at 3rd when we have such a marked uograde at SS.

I would think the Cubs would have to try hard for Fielder now. If I were a Cub fan, losing AR and then NOT getting Prince would kind of suck; watching one of the longest tenured guys leave to a rival, while not getting the best of that rival's players.
Cubs fans don't really care about Ramirez though since he was only ever concerned about himself.

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
So since Ramirez and Pena are not getting resigned, it'll be interesting to see if someone takes Soriano and good a chunk of his contract. Zambrano goes, and the Cubs will cut their payroll in half.

I'd imagine the Cubs will end up playing rookies with Castro and Soto and sitting on money until they can decide which prospects will make the cut.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
shayscards79 said:
So since Ramirez and Pena are not getting resigned, it'll be interesting to see if someone takes Soriano and good a chunk of his contract. Zambrano goes, and the Cubs will cut their payroll in half.

I'd imagine the Cubs will end up playing rookies with Castro and Soto and sitting on money until they can decide which prospects will make the cut.
The cubs will now SUCK ASS. He was one of my ones to watch.I will still follow him. I know he will do great.I am now done as a cub fan. they will field one of the worse teams in chicago in a very long time.Thats hard to do! i see them losing close to 100 games.

Zambrano38

Aug 11, 2008
nosterbor said:
shayscards79 said:

The cubs will now SUCK ASS. He was one of my ones to watch.I will still follow him. I know he will do great.I am now done as a cub fan. they will field one of the worse teams in chicago in a very long time.Thats hard to do! i see them losing close to 100 games.

Waiting for Hamels and Cain next year ;)

Members online

Latest posts