Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I love seeing sets like this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
I think this is the guy that was building the set on the B.O. forums.He put it together very quickly.To have 990 cards is pretty impressive.

sebpoo

Aug 7, 2008
Montreal, P.Q.
The guy is trying to sell at book value or close to. Good luck to him!

I agree it's a heck of a set to put together, a set collector's dream.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
hofmichael said:
I think this is the guy that was building the set on the B.O. forums.He put it together very quickly.To have 990 cards is pretty impressive.

Yah that's impressive that he got all 990 cards in less than one year's time. I wonder if his intention was to sell it all along and try to make a profit.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
It is too bad that the market will not bear a premium for building a set. It takes a ton of effort and capital outlay to build a set like this. Instead, on premium modern cards you almost always take a bath trying to sell cards as a set rather than breaking it.

/10

Aug 1, 2011
If I recall, there were at least two internet-forum active people putting this set together. One was crazily driving up prices on other peoples' black border auctions, and the other seemed to be reasonable. I think this was the reasonable one, though.

I wonder why he's selling after the massive undertaking. Is it thrill of the chase? I really liked this particular set, and had I had the capital to complete it comfortably, I would have had a great time doing it.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
/10 said:
If I recall, there were at least two internet-forum active people putting this set together. One was crazily driving up prices on other peoples' black border auctions, and the other seemed to be reasonable. I think this was the reasonable one, though.

I wonder why he's selling after the massive undertaking. Is it thrill of the chase? I really liked this particular set, and had I had the capital to complete it comfortably, I would have had a great time doing it.

There is a 17ish page thread on here about the other guy. He just buys Topps blacks in general, regardless of year. And he hardly ever pays for them.

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
For anyone who doesn't understand the size of this undertaking,you only would get 2-5 Blacks per case depending on the series.To get all 990 cards in such a short amount of time is impressive regardless oof the budget.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Impressive to be sure, but it is the plight of the set builder to complete a project and then start another one. Everyone's funds are limited!

hofmichael

Sep 19, 2008
Albany,NY
Erich said:
I wouldn't be surprised if he was just showing it off and at the same time if somebody hits the crazy BIN he has some $
I believe he stated on B.O. his intent was to sell it all along.

ebechols

Jan 20, 2011
Montgomery, AL
I just looked the set up in Beckett and the book price for the set is only $9,730. So the guy really wants a premium to part with the set. I don't know of many people that would be interested in buying a complete insert set. Most set collectors I know enjoy the chase of putting together the set, not necessarily in having the set in a box somewhere.

asw37

Mar 9, 2010
out of nothing more than curiosity, what is a realistic price that he could expect on this? I personally couldn't see much sustained value in a set like this, but what do i know.

mjbuchanan80

May 16, 2011
Kansas City
ebechols said:
I just looked the set up in Beckett and the book price for the set is only $9,730. So the guy really wants a premium to part with the set. I don't know of many people that would be interested in buying a complete insert set. Most set collectors I know enjoy the chase of putting together the set, not necessarily in having the set in a box somewhere.

+1 on this. I am a set collector and would gain no satisfaction from just buying a set like this - regardless of how impressive it is.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
If his individual book prices are correct it could realistically sell for 12,000 if he sold separately. I get 70% book easily on these whether it is on Beckett or eBay with BIN's. As a set though he is looking at far less, but breaking it up he is looking at getting stuff with a few.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
If the set won't sell this way,
I would break them up into team sets and then put a high BIN with best offer...
No sense in trying to complete the set and then selling singles...

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
danimal said:
If he'd list all 990 individually he'd make a killing.
I think that would depend on what he paid for them. (Though listing them all at once might allow for cross-promotion which could allow more people to see them and bid on them.

Members online

Latest posts