Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Help with presenting a baseball card project. UPDATED :D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I'm a huge fan of baseball cards, but my knowledge of the merchandising them and making process is practically non-existent.

This morning I had the opportunity to meet the President of the Mexican Pacific League (aka Mexican Winter League) because my dad is friends with him.
I casually asked him if there was any chance a baseball card set could be made for the League. I should note that he has a huge marketing background and it has been noted in the League since he entered three years ago. That's why I think a baseball card set would be good.
He told me to explain the reach this cards would have and why it would be good for the league. I made him a few comments there, but mostly he caught me by surprise and I arranged to present him a project later.

Does anyone has experience on this? Any ideas or advice you would like to share with me? I would really appreciate it. I'm a huge baseball fan, and collecting, and I study medicine. So not much experience and knowledge of presenting a project, marketing, etc.

Thanks in advance

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Re: Help with presenting an important baseball card project

Arturo, there are a bunch of possibilities here, but first and foremost it needs to made at least some financial/marketing sense.

A few random notes...

- Teams can have single card giveaways per home game. A different player per game, including former stars/favorites perhaps. This would create added demand to go to as many games as possible, therefore possibly increasing ticket sales.

- Back of cards could contain sponsor logos for added value to their current sponsorship contract.

- Inexpensive giveaways on off days to help drive interest into the team, league.

etc.

Don't have a ton of time, but just enough to hopefully get your mind working in the right direction.

Lifelongfan

Aug 7, 2008

Best option: Hire 200lbhockeyplayer to present idea.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

200lbhockeyplayer said:
Arturo, there are a bunch of possibilities here, but first and foremost it needs to made at least some financial/marketing sense.

A few random notes...

- Teams can have single card giveaways per home game. A different player per game, including former stars/favorites perhaps. This would create added demand to go to as many games as possible, therefore possibly increasing ticket sales.

- Back of cards could contain sponsor logos for added value to their current sponsorship contract.

- Inexpensive giveaways on off days to help drive interest into the team, league.

etc.

Don't have a ton of time, but just enough to hopefully get your mind working in the right direction.

Thanks. I'm thinking something like handout a few cards certain dates of the season so the people experience the cards and then would like to complete the set (buying them); and also increase attendance at the same time.
Like "DaClyde" wrote in his piece of Mexican cards; the potential is there, we just need to create the supply, create a culture of collecting.

I'll need to work in stating the reach these cards will have. That's something the President was very clear, he wants diffusion.

oiccup41

Aug 27, 2010
Maine

The cards are always good to have autographed by players before or after the game. That would have to have appeal to adults and kids.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe

Well to do this project right or at least get some really good pointers, you might want to reach out to our resident card production expert, Brian from Leaf. Brian is very approachable and would probably give you a few ideas and maybe even produce the cards. You just never know.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

oiccup41 said:
The cards are always good to have autographed by players before or after the game. That would have to have appeal to adults and kids.

Yeap. It would be a way to formalizing the hobby. I see tons of kids excited for an autograph on a blank sheet of paper or other stuff that will be lost in no time. With the cards it will be easier to organize and conserve.

mchenrycards said:
Well to do this project right or at least get some really good pointers, you might want to reach out to our resident card production expert, Brian from Leaf. Brian is very approachable and would probably give you a few ideas and maybe even produce the cards. You just never know.

Thanks. I'll try to reach him.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

200lbhockeyplayer said:

Considering how sponsor's logos are plastered across everything in Mexican sports, this would be one more way to add another sponsor or three to the league and teams. Most minor league sets issued from 1972-1992 had sponsors logos on the backs, and almost all team issued sets (not those from the main printers like Choice, Multi-Ad, Grandstand and DAV, but those printed locally) came with a sponsor's logo card. Even these days, some teams issue issue sets in strips of three baseball (or hockey) cards and a couple of sponsors cards, sometimes with discount coupons for some product or service they provide (carpet cleaning, roofing, pizza, oil changes, etc).

So possibly sponsors can help offset the costs, either partially or completely. And if at all possible, maybe the cards could be made available for sale on the teams online stores as another source of revenue...hint, hint...

And if possible, rather than just individual team sets, a league-wide set, available at each stadium. That way kids have the chance to get autographs on cards of players from visiting teams and have a way to connect more to the league as a whole. And if there were some sort of wider distribution, it would give fans not geographically close to the teams another way to connect and follow the teams.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc

sounds like a great idea . I need some for my program

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

mchenrycards said:

He answered my PM very fast and told me to call him :D
I'll let you guys know what I learned

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008

This sounds like a fun project. You may already be going this route, but It might be helpful to consider trying an idea or two with one or two teams before expanding to an entire league. GL!

stanthemanfan

Apr 14, 2010
Greenville, Sc

If things don't work out with Leaf, this is an example of how teams produced give away sets in the 80's. Notice Arby's front and back on this Nashville Sounds team set.

MattinglyNashvilleSoundsSmall.jpg

MattinglyNashvilleSoundsbackSmall.jpg

when it comes to the card production aspect of it i know very very little but selling is selling.

when the time comes you want to make sure you are versed on the attendence, the average age of the fans, and which players are going to present the greatest opportunity to build a large following on amongst other things. take as wide of an approach to the presentation as possible touching on everything from sponsors to but continue to present your main point through each of the other points. make sure that every point you make with each of the topics:

1.) show a defined benefit (not only what it is but what it will likely accomplish). i.e. by putting these cards in the hands of the current fans you will increase the experience of the games for them on a personal level while using it as a platform to keep your logos and the logos of your sponsors in homes in a passive manner.

2.) a quick common sense lead question. i.e. with these cards in circulation they are sure to make it into the hands of people who dont attend games... yet. i think those "new" fans are the people that will keep the league strong for years to come, dont you?

if you show the passion for your hobby face to face that you post with that enthusiasm will wear off on him. a passionate person who believes in what they are selling and can relay that is not selling but building a follower! if there is anyway i helped great if not thats ok.

this has got to be very exciting... best of luck...

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

uniquebaseballcards said:
This sounds like a fun project. You may already be going this route, but It might be helpful to consider trying an idea or two with one or two teams before expanding to an entire league. GL!

I'm going directly to the League because I have the confidence with the President because my dad is friends with him and like I said he was a marketing background that's already showing in the League. It's going in a good direction since he came in.
Also, the owners of my home team are very close minded, they live in the past. They tried a set in the past and it didn't work. But it was their own fault. The marketing campaign consisted in two panel ads in the stadium and that's it.
Now the league has a good website and made a deal with the big cable company here so it has more exposure.

notjomommasclint said:
when it comes to the card production aspect of it i know very very little but selling is selling.

when the time comes you want to make sure you are versed on the attendence, the average age of the fans, and which players are going to present the greatest opportunity to build a large following on amongst other things. take as wide of an approach to the presentation as possible touching on everything from sponsors to but continue to present your main point through each of the other points. make sure that every point you make with each of the topics:

1.) show a defined benefit (not only what it is but what it will likely accomplish). i.e. by putting these cards in the hands of the current fans you will increase the experience of the games for them on a personal level while using it as a platform to keep your logos and the logos of your sponsors in homes in a passive manner.

2.) a quick common sense lead question. i.e. with these cards in circulation they are sure to make it into the hands of people who dont attend games... yet. i think those "new" fans are the people that will keep the league strong for years to come, dont you?

if you show the passion for your hobby face to face that you post with that enthusiasm will wear off on him. a passionate person who believes in what they are selling and can relay that is not selling but building a follower! if there is anyway i helped great if not thats ok.

It was very helpful, really. Thanks a lot!

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL

r2d2 said:
Also, the owners of my home team are very close minded, they live in the past. They tried a set in the past and it didn't work. But it was their own fault. The marketing campaign consisted in two panel ads in the stadium and that's it.
Now the league has a good website and made a deal with the big cable company here so it has more exposure.

Fan enthusiasm and the potential of FREE advertising (word of mouth between fans) should not be overlooked. Facebook is free. Press releases are free. As you've already seen on forolm, fans will spread the word. You might even print out all those pages of frustrated fans trying to find the Marinela stickers from 2009, and trading back and forth across the country.

I know some people have trouble believing that anyone would help them advertise for free, but hopefully they can be made to see that they don't have to spend a lot of money to promote the cards, they can be successful just by spreading the information about the cards through free avenues.

Or better yet, let the sponsors foot the advertising bill. Miguel's Hardware Store can give away free sets with $30 purchase or something like that, and post a flyer in the store. Then the sponsor is paying for the opportunity of advertising for the team.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008

r2d2 said:

I'm going directly to the League because I have the confidence with the President because my dad is friends with him and like I said he was a marketing background that's already showing in the League. It's going in a good direction since he came in.

notjomommasclint said:

The big cable company might be the ideal sponsor for the set as they would want to promote the whole league, not just a single team.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

tpeichel said:
r2d2 said:

notjomommasclint said:

The big cable company might be the ideal sponsor for the set as they would want to promote the whole league, not just a single team.

Yeah, the involvement of the cable company would be huge for the project; I'd risk to say that it would be practically a success if they sponsor the cards. This is the 3rd year in a row that someone in the area of the league can watch a game besides his home team, actually you can see all four games every night. Their motto is "the league is ours", so making cards of all the players with their logo would be huge.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008

r2d2 said:
Yeah, the involvement of the cable company would be huge for the project; I'd risk to say that it would be practically a success if they sponsor the cards. This is the 3rd year in a row that someone in the area of the league can watch a game besides his home team, actually you can see all four games every night.

Is it Aym Sports or Cablesports or someone else in 2011/2012? I need to start getting the LMP games again on my satellite dish now that the MLB season has been over awhile.

It's pretty hard for me to follow along with the LMP as I don't know very many faces on the teams (just some that come from the U.S. minor leagues for the winter or some of the mexican players who got up into the AAA or MLB levels and ended up back in Mexico).

I would enjoy collecting LMP card sets if made more widely available so I can try to learn a lot more about the LMP mexican-origin players.

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City

rsmath said:
r2d2 said:
Yeah, the involvement of the cable company would be huge for the project; I'd risk to say that it would be practically a success if they sponsor the cards. This is the 3rd year in a row that someone in the area of the league can watch a game besides his home team, actually you can see all four games every night.

Is it Aym Sports or Cablesports or someone else in 2011/2012? I need to start getting the LMP games again on my satellite dish now that the MLB season has been over awhile.

It's pretty hard for me to follow along with the LMP as I don't know very many faces on the teams (just some that come from the U.S. minor leagues for the winter or some of the mexican players who got up into the AAA or MLB levels and ended up back in Mexico).

I would enjoy collecting LMP card sets if made more widely available so I can try to learn a lot more about the LMP mexican-origin players.

Wow, I didn't know people there got the games.

The company name is Megacable and airs the 4 games every night. Two of them are broadcast in the channels that you mentioned (AyM and Cablesports); also those channels can be seen in other cable companies so that's why I can watch LMP when I'm in school in Monterrey and now I see that they can reach the US.

Thanks for your comment. Now I have more evidence that a potential LMP set could do well internationally.

Members online

Latest posts