Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Panini bringing back another Donruss Classic!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
Prime Cuts returns in March with MLB legends

December 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

The box is back.

Panini America announced on Thursday that one of the most-popular high-end releases from the Donruss-Playoff days, Prime Cuts, will return in March with some of baseball’s most legendary names in tow.

The names are part of a new card agreement with CMG Worldwide, which will give Panini the rights to use the likenesses of Jackie Robinson, Jimmie Foxx, Johnny Mize, Lou Gehrig, Mel Ott, Rogers Hornsby, Roy Campanella, Thurman Munson, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, “Shoeless” Joe Jackson and Jim Thorpe in its MLBPA-approved products.

It will be the first Prime Cuts release by Panini, though the brand was quite popular in 2004-05 when Donruss was a full MLB Properties and MLBPA-approved manufacturer and then when it was revived by the former company after it lost its MLB licensing in 2008.

The CMG players also will be found in future Panini baseball releases.

“We are truly excited to partner with CMG Worldwide on a deal that will significantly strengthen our baseball product roster by giving us access to some of the greatest players in baseball history,” said Panini America CEO Mark Warsop. “Utilizing our unrivaled expertise in the areas of innovation and collectibility, we’ll show these all-time greats to fans and collectors in a whole new light.”

The move also would allow for unrestrained use of memorabilia pieces in the Panini vaults that were acquired when the company purchased Donruss-Playoff in March 2009.

CMG’s Director of Sports Licensing, Phillip Korkis, echoed Warsop’s excitement in the announcing of the deal.

“We have the pleasure of representing some of the greatest players in baseball history – it was a natural fit to work with one of the global leaders in the trading card industry, Panini America. Panini has an innovative and exciting product vision and we are looking forward to having our clients be a part of that”

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am! This was unequivocally my favorite set of all time. Hopefully, I can sell my prospect stashes and get a bunch of this!

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
ChasHawk said:
George_Calfas said:
ChasHawk said:
you know they're all going to look like that awful Josh Hamilton card we saw a while ago, right?
Thanks for steal the gem from my doughnut
sorry brother, but until I see otherwise, I assume they're going to suck.

what can panini really do?

I wouldnt expect anything less.

;)

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Once more they will kill a product that was once good. Sooner or later they are going to run out of names.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
phillyfan0417 said:
ChasHawk said:
George_Calfas said:
ChasHawk said:
you know they're all going to look like that awful Josh Hamilton card we saw a while ago, right?

;)
believe me Tim, I want it to be as good as 2008, but it will not be

cstmleather

Jan 14, 2009
ChasHawk said:
phillyfan0417 said:
ChasHawk said:
George_Calfas said:
ChasHawk said:

;)

They didn't have a license then either. What would make it so much different?

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
cstmleather said:
ChasHawk said:
phillyfan0417 said:
ChasHawk said:
George_Calfas said:
[quote="ChasHawk":qkyzd2lr]you know they're all going to look like that awful Josh Hamilton card we saw a while ago, right?

;)

They didn't have a license then either. What would make it so much different?[/quote:qkyzd2lr]
Off the top of my head?

They got sued by MLB and sold their company to Panini.

Good enough?

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
2004 Playoff Prime Cuts series 1 >>>>>>>>>>>> everything

Great looking set IMO. I have always wanted to buy a box for the gamble aspect but it sure is a helluva lot of $$$.

Will be interesting to see how this one turns out though.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
scotty21690 said:
Like this, but with CMG players

Panini.jpg

PujolsElite.jpg

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
cstmleather said:
ChasHawk said:
phillyfan0417 said:
ChasHawk said:
George_Calfas said:
[quote="ChasHawk":2skkxu1x]you know they're all going to look like that awful Josh Hamilton card we saw a while ago, right?

;)

They didn't have a license then either. What would make it so much different?[/quote:2skkxu1x]
You have been thanked!
Until these card printing WANNABES Get a license that is all the are gonna be.
Air brushed hats just suck! They can't even print the players team name on the card. Why anyone buys these products is...... beyond me.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
nosterbor said:
cstmleather said:
ChasHawk said:
phillyfan0417 said:
ChasHawk said:
[quote="George_Calfas":1qd8u6uf][quote="ChasHawk":1qd8u6uf]you know they're all going to look like that awful Josh Hamilton card we saw a while ago, right?

;)
They didn't have a license then either. What would make it so much different?[/quote:1qd8u6uf]
You have been thanked!
Air brushed hats just suck! They can't even print the players team name on the card. Why anyone buys these products is...... beyond me.[/quote:1qd8u6uf]
You missed the boat here boss. He was trying to make the point that 2008 Prime Cuts sold WELL without a license.

But, that was DLP, and they used logos/markings

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
ChasHawk said:
nosterbor said:
cstmleather said:
ChasHawk said:
phillyfan0417 said:
[quote="ChasHawk":22bj29h9][quote="George_Calfas":22bj29h9][quote="ChasHawk":22bj29h9]you know they're all going to look like that awful Josh Hamilton card we saw a while ago, right?

;)
They didn't have a license then either. What would make it so much different?[/quote:22bj29h9]
You have been thanked!
Air brushed hats just suck! They can't even print the players team name on the card. Why anyone buys these products is...... beyond me.[/quote:22bj29h9]
You missed the boat here boss. He was trying to make the point that 2008 Prime Cuts sold WELL without a license.

But, that was DLP, and they used logos/markings[/quote:22bj29h9]
Hense...Why they were sued....and how many bought that product and did not relize it was unlicensed. Just like i did with 2010 leaf sports icons
icon_facepalm.gif

P.S.
Thanks for not calling me Chief

ajbraves25

Aug 9, 2008
Springfield, IL
scotty21690 said:

Great looking set IMO. I have always wanted to buy a box for the gamble aspect but it sure is a helluva lot of $$$.

I opened one pack of the very first series. Pulled a Ted Williams 2 color patch / bat #5/9. Nice flip. Pack $150 sold Ted for $599.99

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
ajbraves25 said:
scotty21690 said:
I opened one pack of the very first series. Pulled a Ted Williams 2 color patch / bat #5/9. Nice flip. Pack $150 sold Ted for $599.99
boxes cost a little more now... :lol:

[ebay:2d2dto5f]120823881731[/ebay:2d2dto5f]

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
ajbraves25 said:
scotty21690 said:

Awesome! Do you still have a scan by any chance? :mrgreen:

Members online