Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2004 SP Prospects Case inbound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
I've always loved this product and busted about a case worth of loose boxes when it first came out. I've been tempted multiple times to buy more when it shows up on various companies sales and never pulled the trigger. BO had boxes for $44 on their 12 Days of Christmas special so naturally, I bought a case :)

five auto's per box with one being a dual, triple, or quad auto. plus two jersey cards per box which includes Tolu. I'm hoping to get some nice veterans auto's on the multiple autograph cards. A nice Puckett, Ryan, Jeter, or Musial auto would be cool.

I'll post break results and scans when I receive the case and the carnage begins!

Tom

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Prospecting in 2004 was awesome.
It seemed like there were so many top flight rookies in SP, BCDP, Elite and Fleer Hot Prospects that year.
Remember when guys like Reid Brignac and Eric Campbell would go for $100?
Now it's a graveyard of "could have beens," but there are a few good autographs left like Dustin Pedroia, Gio Gonzalez, Yovani Gallardo and Hunter Pence.
Good luck pulling some great veterans' autographs!
It will be a fun bust for nostalgia's sake.

azbaseballfan

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I loved this product. 2004 is when I became interested in prospects. I was 12 years old and saved all my money to buy a single box of '04 Donruss EEE. Turned out to be a hotbox and I've been hooked ever since. Never had more fun busting a box in my life.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
carlitoson said:
Good luck! I hope you pull a nice gold /10.

BTW, I love it too! Ha.
Link

Nice set! Do you know if each player has red, white, and blue jersey cards? If so, it would be cool to put together a master set. Yeah, I'm a bit OCD! :)

Tom

Moonlight Graham

Aug 7, 2008
Renton, WA
carlitoson said:
Good luck! I hope you pull a nice gold /10.

BTW, I love it too! Ha.
Link

I always wondered if the Yovani Gallardo Gold 5/10 would ever turn up... I sold it with a dinged corner, and I guess the person that got it didn't like it, because it "never arrived"... so I had to give a full refund.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Austin said:
Prospecting in 2004 was awesome.
It seemed like there were so many top flight rookies in SP, BCDP, Elite and Fleer Hot Prospects that year.
Remember when guys like Reid Brignac and Eric Campbell would go for $100?
Now it's a graveyard of "could have beens," but there are a few good autographs left like Dustin Pedroia, Gio Gonzalez, Yovani Gallardo and Hunter Pence.
Good luck pulling some great veterans' autographs!
It will be a fun bust for nostalgia's sake.

I'm still not willing to give up on Phil Hughes either :)

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
I am still working on the auto set. However, I have kinda put it on the backburner the last few months as I have been purchasing other things I have been wanting. If you don't mind, keep me in mind once you are done with your case. Hope you pull a few I could use.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
gonzagacubs said:
I am still working on the auto set. However, I have kinda put it on the backburner the last few months as I have been purchasing other things I have been wanting. If you don't mind, keep me in mind once you are done with your case. Hope you pull a few I could use.

Drop me a PM with your want list and I'm sure I can hook you up with a sweet deal.

Tom

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
Tom Oates said:
...Do you know if each player has red, white, and blue jersey cards?...Tom
I don't know, but if they did that would be really cool to see completed.

By the way, if you pull a platinum 1/1 auto I'm pretty sure you're contractually obligated to then "complete the trifecta".
GL.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Should be a fun rip. May you hit many Einertsons, Tuiasosopos, Baileys, Gallaghers, and Bushes.

This was one of those sets that I always wondered about building. I knew there would be tons of never-weres and couldabeens, so chasing whatever was hot in 2004-2005 would've resulted in tremendously low ROI. But I'd still imagine there being a dozen or so Pujols-level stars where this would be the only autograph, and numbered to 600 or less, you could make serious ROI. It'd still be an amazing set to complete, and return to every couple years, especially if one built the master set with all the multi-sig cards.

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
smapdi said:
Should be a fun rip. May you hit many Einertsons, Tuiasosopos, Baileys, Gallaghers, and Bushes.

This was one of those sets that I always wondered about building. I knew there would be tons of never-weres and couldabeens, so chasing whatever was hot in 2004-2005 would've resulted in tremendously low ROI. But I'd still imagine there being a dozen or so Pujols-level stars where this would be the only autograph, and numbered to 600 or less, you could make serious ROI. It'd still be an amazing set to complete, and return to every couple years, especially if one built the master set with all the multi-sig cards.
"Hitting many Bushes" isn't always considered a bad thing. Ha.

Of the 247 prospect autos (122 position players, 125 pitchers), almost half of those players (118) are exclusive to this product. Unfortunately, not a one has really done much. The best of them at this point is probably Mike Carp.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
klute14 said:
Hey Tom-

If you pull a Draft Class quad auto of Schmidt, Brett, Guidry and Rice I am your man!

That would be a hard card to part with! :)

Tom

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
carlitoson said:
smapdi said:

"Hitting many Bushes" isn't always considered a bad thing. Ha.

Of the 247 prospect autos (122 position players, 125 pitchers), almost half of those players (118) are exclusive to this product. Unfortunately, not a one has really done much. The best of them at this point is probably Mike Carp.

At 247 autos, I'll get about 48 of them so my chances of pulling the better cards are about 1:5 so I'm not expecting to break the bank on the prospects. I'm really hoping to do well on the multiple autograph cards for my PC. I will sell off some stuff to help others achieve their collecting goals and to offset my costs a little but not really doing this for the money. This is really about adding to the PC and having some fun in the process.

Tom

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA
I got one of these boxes on this deal. Busted it yesterday and pulled a Jason Kendall/Bixler Dual, a bunch of nobody autos, and then a Gallardo auto RC. Extremely happy with the Gallardo

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Derek2011 said:
I got one of these boxes on this deal. Busted it yesterday and pulled a Jason Kendall/Bixler Dual, a bunch of nobody autos, and then a Gallardo auto RC. Extremely happy with the Gallardo

What jersey cards did you get and what color were the jersey swatches?

Tom

Derek2011

Aug 7, 2008
Bainbridge,PA
Tom Oates said:
Derek2011 said:

What jersey cards did you get and what color were the jersey swatches?

Tom

Brett Hayes red and Cesar Ramos blue, I believe

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
carlitoson said:
Tom Oates said:
...Do you know if each player has red, white, and blue jersey cards?...Tom
I don't know, but if they did that would be really cool to see completed.

By the way, if you pull a platinum 1/1 auto I'm pretty sure you're contractually obligated to then "complete the trifecta".
GL.

I did actualy pull a platinum 1/1!!! He's a current major leaguer too but no one you would jump up and down over. I'll type up a summary and post it in the case break section.

Tom

Members online