Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is this card real or fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
i listed a jeter /199 that i am wondering about myself.
i never even look at half the stuff i sell, i just scan it
and list, and another member pointed mine out to me.
the lack of a way to verify this stuff really sucks.

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
If I bought that card I would buy it as having been altered. I always like to leave some room for doubt but in this case I would find it hard to even imagine that this has a one percent chance of being factory.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
Fake, fake, fake. I like to think people list real cards - but no way. The gametime momentos cards typically had three basic swatches and one one patch.

Here are few examples:

scans-marq.jpg

YoukilisMarqueePatch.jpg

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
Same guy is selling a '98 Press Pass Manning jersey card with a Vols patch. I have never seen one with anything but a white jersey swatch.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
ive seen a bunch of live breaks that actually had quad multi colord patches on the /199 version. specifically i remember a braun. pulled at th store live. sicker patches than /5 or /10 or whatever. lol.

unless its the /5 version or marquee jumbo patch /5, id like to stay away

didnt you guys see some marquee jumbo /99s that had patches on them?

i dont know anymore...if i even have 1% doubt, id just skip it...

dave

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
To me, it looks like it was originally a normal 1 patch piece in the bottom left, and they changed out the other 3 (normally plain jersey pieces) slots for fake patch pieces.

MisterT

Mar 7, 2011
Virginia
daveyou said:
ive seen a bunch of live breaks that actually had quad multi colord patches on the /199 version. specifically i remember a braun. pulled at th store live. sicker patches than /5 or /10 or whatever. lol.

unless its the /5 version or marquee jumbo patch /5, id like to stay away

didnt you guys see some marquee jumbo /99s that had patches on them?

i dont know anymore...if i even have 1% doubt, id just skip it...

dave

There definitely are jumbo patches of Zimmerman out there that fit this description. The theory at the time was that there a mix up in production as the card does not read patch. Here is an example of /10 patch - but notice that the card calls it a patch, not a "threads" as in the second example below..The Zimm ones (and maybe some others) said threads but they were patches. The card that started this thread, however, I do not think is real.

KinlserMarqueePatch.jpg

Longoria-marqueerelic.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Just got a Bagwell in the other day that is from 2002 donruss Diamond kings. It's a GU card that even has a picture of the jersey the card was made from on the back. Sad things is, upon closer inspection, the jersey in the picture is one of their grey unifroms from the mid-90's to early 2000's. The jersey piece in the card was white with just a hair of a blue(yes blue!) pinstripe showing. Figure that one out.

Sjrmn91

Apr 29, 2009
Minnesota
Might be a dumb question but I've always been curious. How do people fake patches without wrecking the cards? Peel and re-glue? Slide out the swatches and slide the fake patch in?

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I'm not very familiar with the Topps Marquee Gametime Mementos set, but the seller shares selling traits with other past fake patch sellers in that they also have for sale a Topps Premiere rookie auto, Muhammad Ali *** autos, and Emmitt Smith autos from Star Pics and Collector's Edge.

homerun28aa

Jun 8, 2011
Fake, and a bad fake at that, too much going on in that card, and plus the /199 version only has one patch and it's never a really nice one usually multicolored but never something like a tag or really unique patch like that card has. Pass for sure.

Members online

Latest posts