Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another eBay rant...Powerseller status

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
I just got an email informing me that my PowerSeller status has been stripped from my account. I thought it was possibly a phishing email, because I have not had any issues with my account. I logged into my account to check my status, and I have had 4 "1 or 2" star ratings in the shipping time section. Out of 125 transactions in 12 months, I have not had one item that has taken longer than 7 days from payment to reception (I check the status of the items manually, so I may have missed one, but I keep a very accurate count of this). Are buyers really that jaded to if they do not receive the item in 2-3 days that the seller deserves a 1 or 2 for shipping? I've left a seller a "1" for shipping one time, but that was because the item took two weeks to receive (Seller was from CA, not Canada or Taiwan or anything like that) and it was severely mispackaged. This leads me to a question for the board: What qualifications do you use to give a seller a 1-5 rating for shipping time?

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I feel ya bud. But simple solution is to print out a label within 24 hours of payment and they cannot leave you anything but 5 stars.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
If they dont leave bad dsrs for shipping time they will leave it for something else. You can't keep them all happy. Seller can't with..

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Did you lose your Powerseller status because of ratings or due to not enough volume? You need to maintain a certain amount of sales volume in $ to keep your powerseller status. Thanks.

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
lisu said:
Did you lose your Powerseller status because of ratings or due to not enough volume? You need to maintain a certain amount of sales volume in $ to keep your powerseller status. Thanks.

This

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
lisu said:

It's for the "Shipping Time" - on the Powerseller Status screen, there's the yellow caution symbol beside that category - my Sales and Transactions are $8k+ and 125 transactions, so those qualify for the $3k and 100 thresholds.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
Erich said:
markakis8 said:
I feel ya bud. But simple solution is to print out a label within 24 hours of payment and they cannot leave you anything but 5 stars.
This

Is this an eBay policy? I haven't seen/read anything about that, but if that is true then I'll definitely start making certain that I print ou the label within 24 hours.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
GAbballplayer148 said:
Erich said:
markakis8 said:
This

Is this an eBay policy? I haven't seen/read anything about that, but if that is true then I'll definitely start making certain that I print ou the label within 24 hours.

Yes, if you print the label out within 24 hours of payment being received and the item is delivered within 5 business days, you automatically get 5 stars for shipping time. Unfortunately if the post office messes up and doesn't deliver within 5 days, the buyer can leave as many stars as they feel like.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
lisu said:

I didn't know about that. That's good then since I usually print those right away and honestly I get them in the mail right away.

The mail just sucks sometimes coming out of Chicago, so I've worried I could get screwed by unreasonable buyers as well, so that is good to know.

To answer the OP's question - 7 days or under is what I'd find acceptable. Maybe part of that is my own circumstances, so I factor in the PO, and it possibly taking a few more days than expected without it being the buyers fault.
Even if it is a bit later than that, I'm not sure I'd take off for stars if everything else was great. For me to take off stars it would probably have to be closer to 2 weeks, or to have other things annoy me about the transaction (not shipped properly, lied to about when it was shipped, etc.).

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
GAbballplayer148 said:
lisu said:

It's for the "Shipping Time" - on the Powerseller Status screen, there's the yellow caution symbol beside that category - my Sales and Transactions are $8k+ and 125 transactions, so those qualify for the $3k and 100 thresholds.

Aren't these numbers calculated monthly?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I still love the losers who see the shipping charge, bid and then leave bad dsrs for shipping price.

agentjak

Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
jcmint said:
I still love the losers who see the shipping charge, bid and then leave bad dsrs for shipping price.

.................Preach it brother Preach it!! For me instead of losers use the the words like idiots, morons and some choice others I really prefer to call them, but wont!!

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
jcmint said:

I no longer charge for shipping. You automatically get 5 stars and it's one less thing for buyers to whine about. Although i rarely use auctions at this point so I just factor the $1.75 or so into what I'm willing to accept. I also don't see too much of a purpose (at least for me) selling things that end up under $5 just because after shipping and fees, u barely walk away with anything anyways

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
jbrown said:
GAbballplayer148 said:
lisu said:

Aren't these numbers calculated monthly?

Every 12 months - I wish I could do $8k per month :)

And to the comment about shipping charges - I usually offer free shipping, and when I do charge for shipping it is usually a $3 flat rate for however many cards the buyer wins. My DSR for S&H charges is still 4.92 ::facepalm::

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
jcmint said:

I normally assume the buyers who leave low feedback are the seller's competition.

I know the two biggest regular competitors I have try to flip via BIN at about three times the price they win it at auction (hi5ahusker and witt36).

It's very tempting to hit one of their ridiculous BINs and leave low feedback... Although I know they'll just continue to drive up my costs anyway :?

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
GAbballplayer148 said:
I've left a seller a "1" for shipping one time, but that was because the item took two weeks to receive (Seller was from CA, not Canada or Taiwan or anything like that) and it was severely mispackaged.

A 1 is extremely harsh, especially since you know the ramifications of leaving that 1 or 2 on someone's account. Even if it takes a month, I still won't leave a 1 or 2 on shipping time unless the seller is a complete dick.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
bballcardkid said:
GAbballplayer148 said:
I've left a seller a "1" for shipping one time, but that was because the item took two weeks to receive (Seller was from CA, not Canada or Taiwan or anything like that) and it was severely mispackaged.

A 1 is extremely harsh, especially since you know the ramifications of leaving that 1 or 2 on someone's account. Even if it takes a month, I still won't leave a 1 or 2 on shipping time unless the seller is a complete dick.

Seriously? If an item takes TWO weeks to get there, that is almost purely the seller's fault (the PO can sometimes take 4-7 days delivering a package, but that still leaves another 7 days for the seller to send the item). Also, the item was $65 and was wrapped raw in a piece of paper - that damn well deserves a "1" for something. I will leave a 1 or 2 if it is justified, and in this case I felt like this was the correct feedback to leave. If you don't give a 1 or 2 to a seller who takes three weeks to ship, and packages the cards poorly then you are doing your fellow collectors a disservice.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
GAbballplayer148 said:
bballcardkid said:
GAbballplayer148 said:

Seriously? If an item takes TWO weeks to get there, that is almost purely the seller's fault. If you don't give a 1 or 2 to a seller who takes three weeks to ship, and packages the cards poorly then you are doing your fellow collectors a disservice.

Yeah, seriously. So you're telling me that the difference between a 5 star shipping service and a 1 star shipping service is 1 week? You said in your initial post that that you've had packages take 1 week from shipment to reception (which is supposably top notch service I'm assuming). Then, you say that you've left a 1 on someone's DSR because it took 2 weeks to receive. Really? 1 week is all it takes for you to go from a 5 to a 1? And you didn't even contact the seller before hand to see if they could rectify the situation to prevent you from ******* their account?

Maybe I'm just more lenient, or maybe I just don't get my ******* in a bunch over something so insignificant, but as a seller whom has had their primary account limited due to unhappy buyers that have apparently slapped me with too many 1's and 2's, I now have a new found respect for the DSR system in terms of when I leave feedback for others. People need to understand that **** happens. If you want to completely drive away every decent seller from ebay just because you're (IMO) impatient, by all means keep giving 1's and 2's. For me, a 3 would have been perfectly justified. It would let the seller know that there is an issue, but it wouldn't **** up their account. Again, just my opinion. All it takes is 2 or 3 of these 1/2 incidences and boom, their goes your powerseller status (as you already know), another 1 or 2, boom, there goes your account. Is that fair? To me, hell no.

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
bballcardkid said:
GAbballplayer148 said:
bballcardkid said:
GAbballplayer148 said:

Seriously? If an item takes TWO weeks to get there, that is almost purely the seller's fault. If you don't give a 1 or 2 to a seller who takes three weeks to ship, and packages the cards poorly then you are doing your fellow collectors a disservice.

Yeah, seriously. So you're telling me that the difference between a 5 star shipping service and a 1 star shipping service is 1 week? You said in your initial post that that you've had packages take 1 week from shipment to reception (which is supposably top notch service I'm assuming). Then, you say that you've left a 1 on someone's DSR because it took 2 weeks to receive. Really? 1 week is all it takes for you to go from a 5 to a 1? And you didn't even contact the seller before hand to see if they could rectify the situation to prevent you from fracking their account?

Maybe I'm just more lenient, or maybe I just don't get my ******* in a bunch over something so insignificant, but as a seller whom has had their primary account limited due to unhappy buyers that have apparently slapped me with too many 1's and 2's, I now have a new found respect for the DSR system in terms of when I leave feedback for others. People need to understand that shat happens. If you want to completely drive away every decent seller from ebay just because you're (IMO) impatient, by all means keep giving 1's and 2's. For me, a 3 would have been perfectly justified. It would let the seller know that there is an issue, but it wouldn't frack up their account. Again, just my opinion. All it takes is 2 or 3 of these 1/2 incidences and boom, their goes your powerseller status (as you already know), another 1 or 2, boom, there goes your account. Is that fair? To me, hell no.

Did you not read the second part of my post, or do you just feel like bitching about something? I see you quoted the first part but left out the rest of it - you must just feel like bitching about something. I actually did attempt to contact the seller before I left feedback, and got no response - does that make you feel better, little one? I know the ramifications of leaving a low DSR, as that is pretty much the reason I started this post, in case you didn't read the whole thing (which seems to be a common thing for you). I do understand that **** happens, and I account for that. That is the only instance where I have ever left a seller anything less than a 4 or 5 so please don't start calling me impatient and saying I should "keep giving 1's and 2's" when you have no idea what my history is.

You should take up your "Is that fair?" question with eBay, not me. I cant do a damn thing about it - I don't like the policy either.

Latest posts