Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rangers get rights to Darvish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Texas Rangers Win the Rights to Yu Darvish

Word just came down. $51.7M posting fee. Let's see if they get him signed.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Rangers Win Bidding For Yu Darvish
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 19, 2011 at 10:07pm CST]
If Yu Darvish plays for a Major League team in 2012, he'll be wearing a Rangers uniform. Texas won the bidding for the Japanese right-hander via the posting system with a record $51.7MM bid, according to Yahoo's Jeff Passan (on Twitter).

The bid, which exceeds the $51.1MM Boston paid for Daisuke Matsuzaka five years ago, provides the Rangers with a 30-day negotiating window. If the sides don't agree to a deal within the next 30 days, Darvish will stay in Japan and the Nippon Ham Fighters won't obtain any cash from the Rangers.

Darvish posted a 1.44 ERA with 10.7 K/9 and 1.4 BB/9 in 232 innings this past season and he hasn't posted an ERA above 2.00 since 2007. MLB agents suggested to MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes that it will cost at least $100MM to lock Darvish up, including the posting fee and contract.

The Blue Jays, Yankees and Cubs also placed bids on Darvish before last week's deadline. Conversely, the Giants, Athletics, Marlins, Mets, Rays, Angels, Twins, Red Sox and Orioles did not bid, according to recent reports. The Blue Jays and Rangers had been favored to win the bidding for Darvish ever since the process wrapped up.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Wonder what this does to card prices. I'm thinking they may see a small jump for a couple weeks but I kind of doubt it'll be anywhere near as extensive as the Dice-K mania from 2007 unless the season starts and he dominates from the start.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Wonder what this does to card prices. I'm thinking they may see a small jump for a couple weeks but I kind of doubt it'll be anywhere near as extensive as the Dice-K mania from 2007 unless the season starts and he dominates from the start.

They'll be worth more now than they would have with the Blue Jays, but not nearly as much as they would have with the Cubs or Yanks.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jaypers said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:

They'll be worth more now than they would have with the Blue Jays, but not nearly as much as they would have with the Cubs or Yanks.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I think the Yankees obviously would have been the biggest jump, maybe even doubling a lot of his stuff's value, followed by the Cubs who would have been a very large jump although not quite to that magnitude. The Rangers I think will make them move north a little bit until Ranger fans get their fix. Blue Jays would have dropped their value IMO.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Callis tells me Darvish's scouting report will be included in the Appendix of the Prospect Handbook. His colleague Matt Forman does the Rangers' top 30 list this time (which doesn't go live on the site until 1/30), so we'll see if he ranks him above Profar as the #1 in their system.

SydBarrett

Mar 6, 2011
I could not be more happy as a Mariners fan than I am right now (granted, this is potential happiness). Right now it seems to be a two horse race between Chicago and Seattle for Prince Fielder and I have to believe that Jack Z is going to be able to figure out a way to bring Prince to Seattle.

championMan

Apr 16, 2009
rangers are kinda desperate since they lost cj wilson, and angels got Pujols
i guess they have to do that to keep the fans excited
Angels are getting the edge this offseason

Wes

OG
Administrator
Comments like this are ridiculous and borderline racist. Not only does it make you look foolish for having a lack of historical knowledge, as there have been plenty of successful players from Asia, it also spits in the face of the scouting community.

bouwob said:
any body remember chan ho park??????
mwashuc06 said:
I guess we can see a younger version of Irabu.
homerun28aa said:
I am sure they will sign Yu and it'll be the Daiske scenario all over again

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Where's Boomo? A thread like this isn't complete until he splashes his sunny disposition all over it when he calls Darvish a loser who will never make it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts