Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HUGE Chipper Set completed! Surprised i finished so quickly!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChipperFanInChicago

Jan 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
So when i won the first one of these, i just knew i had to get the other 4. After searching high and low and winning 3 on ebay i finally got all 5. When i had 3 of the 5 i set up a local card show and some guy came around who had a friend who collected Chipper jones. So i had him ask by chance if his buddy had one...he said yes...and told me he would never trade/sell it. My hopes kind of got shot to pieces until the guy drove an hour and half to meet me at the show. He brought the card, and i ended up trading him for it.

Prior to this, i lost one of them on ebay while i was on a trip in Vegas. Fortunately for me, it was someone i had dealt with in the past that had won it. I contacted him, and he was very attached to it and did not want to move it. After i won my 4th one on ebay, he said the least he could do was sell it to me because i had helped him out earlier in the year. I could not have done this without some great collectors and people. I know this hobby can suck sometimes, but i have met some great people through this. I am still in shock at how fast i put this together. Since they are /5 i figured either one would never see the light of day again because it would be in someones collection, or it wouldn't be pulled for a year or two. They are beautiful cards! I know they are all legit because they all connect as you can tell by the scan and all the marquee titanic patches have been ridiculous. Glad i got them before they could be ruined by patch fakers who would put better patches on a already cool card. Thanks for the look!

marqueeset5.jpg

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
That's just plain neat, and pretty lucky that the people who owned them were willing to trade or sell them.

Kudos to Topps for making all 5 patches from one spot on the jersey. If they had some sort of puzzle-like patch insert set I bet it would be very popular with patch and team collectors. Each serial number would correspond to a certain part of the team patch, so that if you couldn't find the 3/5 patch of Chipper, you could still buy the 3/5 patch of Jason Heyward or someone else on the Braves and you could still complete the puzzle.

With sets like that I would say the odds of finishing them are 1:300,000+ (I'm a math wiz :lol: )
There is always another collector who is holding the last piece. Seems like Karma was at work here...
Your good to others, and it comes back 10 fold.
Congratulations on a FANTASTIC set. Well done!

Joe

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Congratulations, that's quite an accomplishment just to find, let alone acquire, all 5, and in such a short time.

And good job Topps for using a recognizable and coherent set of patch pieces.

ChipperFanInChicago

Jan 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Thanks Jenkinssss for the picture. Def. have to keep that one - makes it look cooler too!

Yea, i def. thought it would take me a few years to find one of the last pieces of the puzzle. When the last one popped on ebay i was in shock.

Ebay name, Boondockcards3000 is the guy who helped me out with the last one. Great stand up guy. I am not sure if he is on any of the sites but if it wasn't for him i wouldn't have all 5. I bought a few cards off him when he was in need, and he decided he might move his whole collection. Before doing so, he emailed me letting me know that he is going to try to move everything but that patch. He said he would hold it for me because it was the least he could do.

I appreciate everyones kind comments. Because of this, i will work extra hard looking for cards that people need to complete sets. I already do that, but after this experience it is hard not to work even hard. Thanks everybody!!!!! Rememeber, in the wise words of Kevin Garnett ( ::facepalm:: ) "ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!"

Members online