Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BA Sneak Peek- Rays Top Ten

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
TOP TEN
PROSPECTS
1. Matt Moore
2. Hak-Ju Lee
3. Chris Archer
4. Taylor Guerrieri
5. Alex Colome
6. Alex Torres
7. Tim Beckham
8. Enny Romero
9. Drew Vettleson
10. Mikie Mahtook

BEST
TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average Vettleson
Best Power Hitter Dietrich
Best Strike Zone Discipline Bortnick
Fastest Baserunner Hak-Ju Lee
Best Athlete Ty Morrison
Best Fastball Matt Moore
Best Curveball Matt Moore
Best Slider Chris Archer
Best Change-up Marquis Fleming
Best Control Matt Moore
Best Defensive Catcher Mark Thomas
Best Defensive Infielder Hak-Ju Lee
Best Infield Arm Beckham
Best Defensive Of Kevin Kiermaier
Best Outfield Arm Brandon Guyer

PROJECTED 2015
LINEUP
Catcher Luke Bailey
First Base Ben Zobrist
Second Base Jake Hager
Third Base Longoria
Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee
Left Field Matt Joyce
Center Field Desmond Jennings
Right Field BJ Upton
Designated Hitter Tim Beckham
No. 1 Starter Moore
No. 2 Starter Price
No. 3 Starter Shields
No. 4 Starter Hellickson
No. 5 Starter Niemann
Closer Chris Archer

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
As I expected, Sale fell out of the Top 10. Hopefully he can put things right next year.

Z may be a lot of things, but I don't see him at 1B. I'd love to see them snag Prince, but that won't happen. Rizzo, maybe?

WaxPax

No way Upton is still on the team after 2012 let alone in 2015....

Exposfan said:
TOP TEN
PROSPECTS
1. Matt Moore
2. Hak-Ju Lee
3. Chris Archer
4. Taylor Guerrieri
5. Alex Colome
6. Alex Torres
7. Tim Beckham
8. Enny Romero
9. Drew Vettleson
10. Mikie Mahtook

BEST
TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average Vettleson
Best Power Hitter Dietrich
Best Strike Zone Discipline Bortnick
Fastest Baserunner Hak-Ju Lee
Best Athlete Ty Morrison
Best Fastball Matt Moore
Best Curveball Matt Moore
Best Slider Chris Archer
Best Change-up Marquis Fleming
Best Control Matt Moore
Best Defensive Catcher Mark Thomas
Best Defensive Infielder Hak-Ju Lee
Best Infield Arm Beckham
Best Defensive Of Kevin Kiermaier
Best Outfield Arm Brandon Guyer

PROJECTED 2015
LINEUP
Catcher Luke Bailey
First Base Ben Zobrist
Second Base Jake Hager
Third Base Longoria
Shortstop Hak-Ju Lee
Left Field Matt Joyce
Center Field Desmond Jennings
Right Field BJ Upton
Designated Hitter Tim Beckham
No. 1 Starter Moore
No. 2 Starter Price
No. 3 Starter Shields
No. 4 Starter Hellickson
No. 5 Starter Niemann
Closer Chris Archer

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
WaxPax said:
No way Upton is still on the team after 2012 let alone in 2015....

Despite what it says, this is nothing more than a glorified current depth chart. They can't predict who will still be on the team in four years' time.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
braden said:
Still don't understand their love for Archer.

Clearly Bill Ballew is giving him the benefit of the doubt, although he did perk back up after being promoted to Durham.

Their chat is tomorrow, so I'll be sure to ask if that's indeed the case.

mwashuc06 said:
Guerreri is way too high for my taste, reminds me an awful lot of Tyler Matzek.

Huh? Guerrieri's FB is faster than Matzek's and almost as good as Moore's. The only thing I could have seen interfering with his high ranking is his questionable makeup.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
braden said:

Clearly Bill Ballew is giving him the benefit of the doubt, although he did perk back up after being promoted to Durham.

mwashuc06 said:

Huh? Guerrieri's FB is faster than Matzek's and almost as good as Moore's. The only thing I could have seen interfering with his high ranking is his questionable makeup.

Fastball don't mean jack if you can't command it and Guerrieri has a motion that is an awful lot like Matzek. I also got some red flags on his delivery from a source.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
mwashuc06 said:
I also got some red flags on his delivery from a source.

Taylor Guerrieri, rhp
Spring Valley HS, Columbia, S.C.
Guerrieri will be one of the toughest calls for clubs in the first round. He has one of the draft's best arms, and among preps he ranks behind only Oklahomans Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley in pure stuff. Guerrieri has a pitcher's body at 6-foot-3, 195 pounds with long arms, coat-hanger shoulders and present strength. Getting his "man strength," to use the scouting term, has allowed him to maintain his delivery better, and his stuff has improved as a result. At his best, Guerrieri's fastball touches 98 mph and sits in the 93-96 range. He throws his curveball with power as well at 80-83 mph. He flashes a changeup and a cutter in side sessions but rarely uses them in games. Like most high school pitchers, his velocity can vary from start to start, but he still sits 91-93 on his off days. His athleticism and strength allow him to repeat his delivery well, though his command is a question. A South Carolina signee, Guerrieri could go in the first 10 picks if teams are sold on his makeup, but many are not. He's on his second high school thanks to off-field incidents at North Augusta (S.C.) High, and scouts continue to research his decision-making.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
braden said:

mwashuc06 said:

Wasnt his Durham stint just 2 games?
I've just never understood the love for this guy. He cannot throw strikes. He walks like 6/9 IP and I believe last year was his worst to date. I know BA focuses more on ceiling than most but at some point projection has to mean something.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Jaypers said:
braden said:

mwashuc06 said:

I don't think his makeup is really all that questionable; from what I've gathered from multiple articles, it was an alcohol-related incident that sounds like it was a one time thing that he learned from and moved on. I don't think it has anything to do with his competitiveness, composure, or poise on the mound, and it doesn't sound like anything that will be a recurring issue moving forward.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
mwashuc06 said:
I also got some red flags on his delivery from a source.

Taylor Guerrieri, rhp
Spring Valley HS, Columbia, S.C.
Guerrieri will be one of the toughest calls for clubs in the first round. He has one of the draft's best arms, and among preps he ranks behind only Oklahomans Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley in pure stuff. Guerrieri has a pitcher's body at 6-foot-3, 195 pounds with long arms, coat-hanger shoulders and present strength. Getting his "man strength," to use the scouting term, has allowed him to maintain his delivery better, and his stuff has improved as a result. At his best, Guerrieri's fastball touches 98 mph and sits in the 93-96 range. He throws his curveball with power as well at 80-83 mph. He flashes a changeup and a cutter in side sessions but rarely uses them in games. Like most high school pitchers, his velocity can vary from start to start, but he still sits 91-93 on his off days. His athleticism and strength allow him to repeat his delivery well, though his command is a question. A South Carolina signee, Guerrieri could go in the first 10 picks if teams are sold on his makeup, but many are not. He's on his second high school thanks to off-field incidents at North Augusta (S.C.) High, and scouts continue to research his decision-making.

That's BA, I never go by them reports. I get a lot of info on Twitter from a scout I talked to through DM's. Guerreri has a very sloppy set up right now.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Jaypers said:
braden said:

mwashuc06 said:

I don't think his makeup is really all that questionable; from what I've gathered from multiple articles, it was an alcohol-related incident that sounds like it was a one time thing that he learned from and moved on. I don't think it has anything to do with his competitiveness, composure, or poise on the mound, and it doesn't sound like anything that will be a recurring issue moving forward.

I agree on that, I would be more concerned on him developing command. His scouting reports sounds very much like Matzek a few years ago.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Reading some comments here made me think of this from The Venture Brothers...

Brock: No, Dean. This is guild business, your father isn't in any harm. Guild works clean, professional, and surgical. In a way, they're the only organization I still respect.
Hank: [dramatically] And they kill clean! Don't let dames get in the way!
Brock: [turning to Hank] Honestly, Hank, where do you pick that stuff up? I never see you read!
Dean: It's weird, right?
Brock: It's like he channels dead crazy people!
Hank: [worried] Do you think it's a cry for help?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
cjb9421 said:
comparing Matzek(lefty) to Guerrieri(righty) is an apples to oranges comparison and needs to stop. ::facepalm::

Yeah I agree. If we all remember, lots of people were very high on Matzek until he actually started pitching and wasn't nearly as good as advertised. Let's give Guerrieri a chance to prove himself on the field before grouping him with a guy who has had a chance to pitch and so far has not lived up to expectations.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
The list and scouting reports are now up on the site, as well as a link to this afternoon's chat.

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
mwashuc06 said:
LOL, seriously? Have you ever seen either one pitch? Or is it just Guerreri's first name that reminds you of Matzek?

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
sheetskout said:
cjb9421 said:
comparing Matzek(lefty) to Guerrieri(righty) is an apples to oranges comparison and needs to stop. ::facepalm::

I'm going to be that none of you have actually seen Guerrieri pitch. :)

I am reading this and cracking up. I thought one of the scouts in this thread use to get his info from pestering skrip

Members online

Latest posts